D&D 5E New iOS app for 5E encounter tracking (DM's only)

j3x

First Post
Hey guys,

I have started working on creature conditions UX. What do you think about something like this for adding a new condition?

Attachments

• Simulator Screen Shot 25 Nov 2016, 15.02.29.png
    Simulator Screen Shot 25 Nov 2016, 15.02.29.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 541
Last edited:

j3x

First Post
A new version (1.1.0) has been released in App Store. It contains a new condition tracking feature, so feel free to test it out. :)

Simulator Screen Shot 1 Dec 2016, 16.22.09.png

Last edited:

designbot

Explorer
Very cool. I love the flexibility of this feature. The swipe-during-combat gesture is a bit hard to discover, though.

I was suprised to discover that you can apply the same condition to multiple targets at once—that's pretty cool.

I would change "Start of [Source] Next Turn" to something more friendly like "Start of source’s next turn" or "Start of Gandalf’s next turn".

There are some edge cases that it would be nice to cover—for instance, Divine Word can impose conditions with durations of 10 minutes or an hour.

When you choose "Saving Throw" as the duration, it's not clear what ability to use or when you need to make the throw. I guess that needs to be a note. If that was known (for instance, a Constitution save at the end of each of the target's turns, as specified by the Sunburst spell), it would be great to get a prompt to make the throw at the appropriate time, and maybe even a button to make the roll. (I know that could make things more complicated.)

Does anything in 5e actually apply ongoing healing or damage? I can't find the word "ongoing" in the rules.

j3x

First Post
I would change "Start of [Source] Next Turn" to something more friendly like "Start of source’s next turn" or "Start of Gandalf’s next turn".

Will do that, thanks.

There are some edge cases that it would be nice to cover—for instance, Divine Word can impose conditions with durations of 10 minutes or an hour.
I can add 10 minutes, 1 hour and others as another options for duration, but it will be only as remainder, because I suppose one combat encounter is not going to last 1 hour.

When you choose "Saving Throw" as the duration, it's not clear what ability to use or when you need to make the throw. I guess that needs to be a note. If that was known (for instance, a Constitution save at the end of each of the target's turns, as specified by the Sunburst spell), it would be great to get a prompt to make the throw at the appropriate time, and maybe even a button to make the roll. (I know that could make things more complicated.)
Well, right now, you can use "Custom description" to note what DC is required for saving throw. Each condition with Saving Throw duration is rendered with bold text when creature is on turn as a small reminder.

Does anything in 5e actually apply ongoing healing or damage? I can't find the word "ongoing" in the rules.

You are right, there are no such things as ongoing healing and damage. There are spells when creature regains hit points at the start of each turn (regenerate). I need to pick a better words for these. Maybe something simple like "heal" and "damage".

Again, thanks for your feedback designbot!

j3x

First Post
Hey fellow DM's, a new version of Encounter+ (1.2.0) app has been released. What's new:

• New random encounter generator
• New Non-Player creature type
• New Save/Load feature
• Better Start/Stop handling
• Performance tweaks
• General bug fixes

Your feedback is appreciated as always :p

Attachments

• Simulator Screen Shot 10 Dec 2016, 12.01.47.png
    Simulator Screen Shot 10 Dec 2016, 12.01.47.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Simulator Screen Shot 10 Dec 2016, 12.01.18.png
    Simulator Screen Shot 10 Dec 2016, 12.01.18.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 193

designbot

Explorer
Great improvements. Love the new encounter building features.

It's kind of hard to distinguish between active, inactive, and disabled creatures… maybe gray out the text for disabled creatures and use some color to highlight the active creature?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

designbot

Explorer
In the list of alignments (to filter encounters), "lawful nuetral" and "chaotic nuetral" are misspelled. When editing NPC's, you can enter free text for the HP value instead of a number.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

j3x

First Post
In the list of alignments (to filter encounters), "lawful nuetral" and "chaotic nuetral" are misspelled. When editing NPC's, you can enter free text for the HP value instead of a number.

Thanks! Will fix that in a quick release on monday/tuesday along with some bugfixes I have already discovered so far :)

Remove ads