• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW (ish) Class; The Weapon Master

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Hi All,

I was thinking about how to make a weapon master without treading too much on the fighter's party role and this is what I came up with. Please let me know what you think (i.e., constructive criticism is appreciated).

The Weapon Master; Hit Die: d8
L BAB FR RF WL CLASS FEATURES
1: +0 +0 +2 +2 Favored Weapon (+1 attack bonus)
2: +1 +0 +3 +3 Expert Defense (+1 attack bonus)
3: +2 +1 +3 +3 Precision Strike (+1 damage)
4: +3 +1 +4 +4 Weapon Expertise (+1 threat range, +1 threat confirmation)
5: +3 +1 +4 +4 Favored Weapon (+2 attack bonus)
6: +4 +2 +5 +5 Expert Defense (+2 attack bonus)
7: +5 +2 +5 +5 Precision Strike (+2 damage)
8: +6 +2 +6 +6 Weapon Expertise (+1 critical multiplier)
9: +6 +3 +6 +6 Favored Weapon (+3 attack bonus)
10: +7 +3 +7 +7 Expert Defense (+1 armor class)
11: +8 +3 +7 +7 Precision Strike (+3 damage)
12: +9 +4 +8 +8 Weapon Expertise (+2 threat range, +2 threat confirmation)
13: +9 +4 +8 +8 Favored Weapon (+4 attack bonus)
14: +10 +4 +9 +9 Expert Defense (+2 armor class)
15: +11 +5 +9 +9 Precision Strike (+4 damage)
16: +12 +5 +10 +10 Weapon Expertise (+2 critical multiplier)
17: +12 +5 +10 +10 Favored Weapon (+5 attack bonus)
18: +13 +6 +11 +11 Expert Defense (+3 armor class)
19: +14 +6 +11 +11 Precision Strike (+5 damage)
20: +15 +6 +12 +12 Weapon Expertise (automatic confirmation)

CLASS SKILLS: 4 + Int modifier per level.
Balance (dex), Concentration (con), Craft (int), Intimidate (cha), Jump (str), Knowledge (any; int), Listen (wis), Perform (cha), Profession (wis), Sense Motive (wis), Spot (wis), Tumble (dex)

WEAPON PROFICIENCIES: Weapon masters are proficient with all Simple and Martial weapons.

ARMOR PROFICIENCIES: Weapon masters are proficient with both Padded, Leather, and Studded Leather armors. They are not proficient with any type of shield. Heavier armors and Shields of any type have no effect on any of their class abilities.

FAVORED WEAPON: Starting at 1st level a weapon master selects a single weapon to which he dedicates himself completely, gaining a +1 bonus to all d20 rolls made in relation to that weapon (crafting/repairing, attacking, avoiding disarmament, etc). This bonus increases by a further +1 at level 5, 9, 13, and 17.

EXPERT DEFENSE: Weapon masters are renowned for their ability to wade into heavy combat and walk away unscathed. While fighting defensively, the weapon master gains the following bonuses:
2nd level: The attack bonus penalty for fighting defensively is decreased from -2 to -1.
6th level: The attack bonus penalty for fighting defensively is further decreased from -2 to -0.
10th level: While fighting defensively, the weapon master gains an additional +1 bonus to his armor class.
14th level: While fighting defensively, the weapon master gains a further +1 bonus to his armor class, for a total of +2.
18th level: While fighting defensively, the weapon master gains an further +1 bonus to his armor class, for a total of +3.

PRECISION DAMAGE: The weapon master's dedication to his favored weapon and to the art of combat in general grants him the ability to land blows exactly where they'll do the most damage. Beginning at 3rd level and every 4th level after that, when using his Favored Weapon, the weapon master gains a +1 precision damage bonus on all of his attacks with that weapon. Precision damage is not applicable to enemies that are immune to critical hits.

WEAPON EXPERTISE: As a weapon master's proficiency grows, he learns how to end duels and combats with a single terrible blow. At 4th level, when using his favored weapon, the weapon's threat range in increased by 1 and the weapon master's rolls to confirm a critical hit receive a +1 bonus as well. This ability stacks with the Improved Critical feat and with the Keen magical weapon ability but is added on AFTER the effects of the feat or weapon ability is applied to the weapon.
At 8th level, when using his favored weapon, the weapon's critical multiplier is treated as being 1 higher than it actually is. So, for example, an 8th level weapon master wielding a longsword would deal triple-damage on a critical hit, rather than double-damage, as is normal.
At 12th level, when using his favored weapon, the weapon's threat range in increased by 2 and the weapon master's rolls to confirm a critical hit receive a +2 bonus as well.
At 16th level, when using his favored weapon, the weapon's critical multiplier is treated as being 2 higher than it actually is. The longsword from the previous example would deal 4 times its normal damage on a critical hit.
At 20th level, while using his favored weapon, a weapon master no longer needs to roll to confirm his critical threats. Such rolls are considered to succeed automatically.
It should be noted that NONE of the weapon expertise abilities above apply enhance the effect of a vorpal weapon. The weapon master can use such a weapon as normal, but his Weapon Expertise effects do not trigger the vorpal ability more frequently.

Last edited:

TheLe

First Post
FAVORED WEAPON: Starting at 1st level a weapon master selects a single weapon to which he dedicates himself completely, gaining a +1 bonus to all d20 rolls made in relation to that weapon (crafting/repairing, attacking, avoiding disarmament, etc). This bonus increases by a further +1 at level 5, 9, 13, and 17.

I like it.

EXPERT DEFENSE: Weapon masters are renowned for their ability to wade into heavy combat and walk away unscathed. While fighting defensively, the weapon master gains the following bonuses:

I don't particularly like this. By 6th level you've totally negated the penalty, so there is no reason not to fight defensively. Consider these alternatives:

(1) Expert Defense: The Weapon Master is an expert at blocking his opponent's attacks. At the beginning of each round of combat he may select a single opposing enemy. For the rest of that round, the Weapon Master gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC against that enemy.

(2) Expert Defense: The Weapon Master is an expert at avoiding his opponents attacks when wielding his favored weapon. Once per round, whenever he would be struck in melee combat, the Weapon Master may immediately make an opposing attack roll. If his attack roll is greater than his opponent's, then the he has successfully blocked the attack. He must be wielding his favored weapon for to attempt this, and it may only be done once per round.

PRECISION DAMAGE: The weapon master's dedication to his favored weapon and to the art of combat in general grants him the ability to land blows exactly where they'll do the most damage. Beginning at 3rd level and every 4th level after that, when using his Favored Weapon, the weapon master gains a +1 precision damage bonus on all of his attacks with that weapon. Precision damage is not applicable to enemies that are immune to critical hits.

I think you should take out that last sentence. One does not seem to be related to the other. Here is an alternatives:

(1) Precision Strike (Su): At 3rd level the Weapon Master may focus on his Favored Weapon to deliver a precision Strike with one normal melee attack. For this attack, his Critical Threat Range is increased by 1. This increases by an addition 1 at 7th level and every four levels thereafter. The Weapon Master may attempt Precision Strike 3 times a day, and a missed strike still counts as a usage.

WEAPON EXPERTISE: As a weapon master's proficiency grows, he learns how to end duels and combats with a single terrible blow. At 4th level, when using his favored weapon, the weapon's threat range in increased by 1 and the weapon master's rolls to confirm a critical hit receive a +1 bonus as well. This ability stacks with the Improved Critical feat and with the Keen magical weapon ability but is added on AFTER the effects of the feat or weapon ability is applied to the weapon.

I am not a big fan of this, as it is a bit clunky. I think you are better off adding more varied abilities. You've started out well though, so continue with that...

`Le

Lobo Lurker

First Post
1) I kind of wanted to negate the penalty to fighting defensively as the WM doesn't get very good armors. Without taking additional armor feats, the weapon master will only have a +7 bonus to his AC by 20th level (+9 if he takes Combat Expertise). Hmm... that is kind of high, isn't it?

The problem, as I see it, with giving out a +2 Dodge bonus is that it merely encourages people to dip into the class for 2 levels and then not pursue it. What Rogue, Monk, or even Fighter wouldn't dip into this class for 2 levels for an additional +2AC? With the way I have it set up they need to dip in for 6 levels to get an effective +2/+4 AC at no fighting penalty. Thoughts?

This is also a danger of the Favored Weapon Ability, but I like my solution because I do not like classes with dual BAB progressions (monk, I'm looking at you). Any class can dip into Weapon Master for a +1 to hit with the favored weapon, but honestly, its only a +1 bonus that stacks with Weapon Focus... it's powerful but not THAT powerful.

2) And I'm not sure what you find confusing about the precision strike, basically it's less damage than a sneak attack, but usable with every attack. And before you cry nay, consider that the Swashbuckler add his INT modifier to his STR modifier for damage and that Fighters can take Greater Weapon Specialization by 12th level for a +4 damage bonus. Compared to these examples, the Weapon Master's +5 damage bonus by 19th level isn't so big... and as it's precise, it's like critical damage (ie, no use against undead & constructs; I could almost be convinced to make it applicable to against undead and constructs but, as I said in my first post, I didn't want to treat TOO much on the fighter's role).

3) Weapon Expertise: I agree, it is clunky... the intent is enable the weapon master to make his weapon better than anyone else's, without being magical, that is. It also commingled with my desire to make the WM a critical striking machine.
How about if the Weapon Expertise added +1 to the critical threat range of his favored weapon every 4 levels. That's more elegant, though not quite what I had in mind. The multiplied damage from Precision Strike wouldn't get too out of control that way either (depending on the weapon).

Last edited:

TheLe

First Post
How about just giving him deflection bonuses to AC whenever he is using his Favored Weapon?

Besides, most people dip into other classes for just 1 level, not two.

But how about this:

(1) Expert Defense: The Weapon Master is an expert at blocking his opponent's attacks. At the beginning of each round of combat he may select a single opposing enemy. For the rest of that round, the Weapon Master gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC against that enemy. At 6th level and every three levels after, this bonus increases by 1.

`Le

Lobo Lurker

First Post
I like your rendition of Expert Defense. :) Question though, any reason you'd start it at 6 and then have it go up every 3rd? I was trying to give an ability away at every level originally. I guess the only ability that cannot move would be the Favored Weapon ability, as it allows the Weapon Master to keep his attack bonuses as high as a fighters, without giving him the fighters BAB and weapon flexibility.

Also, I shied away from deflection bonuses because waving a sword around doesn't seem like it should protect you very much from a spectre's touch... and a dodge bonus doesn't make much sense either as the Weapon Master isn't trying to get out of the way... maybe a shield bonus?

Lobo Lurker

First Post
On second thought, a shield-using weapon master wouldn't benefit from the increased AC if it were a shield bonus. I think it would also encourage the use to 2-handed weapons, which wasn't my intent. Hmm, maybe we should call it a precision bonus to AC. Not usable when flat-footed and applying to touch AC except against incorporeal attacks. Thoughts?

Instead of emphasis on doing more damage, why not doing more with the weapon itself? Improved Disarm, Greater Disarm, Epic Disarm, Improved Sunder, Greater Sunder, Epic Sunder, Improved Trip, Greater Trip, Epic Trip, Improved Initiative, et cetera? How about Display Weapon Prowess from 2nd edition? Maybe it provides a +4 to the Intimidation DC versus all melee opponnents within 30'? How about throwing your expert weapon? Imagine the look on your opponent's face when they step out of reach and so you throw your sword at them… and crit?!? Use the weapon with grappling. Normally you can't grapple with a medium-size or large weapon but this guy can.

Point is, doing more damage for the sake of damage is boring. It's the same thing as a fighter with a magic weapon. Have this guy do lots of cool and weird things with his weapon.

TheLe

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
I like your rendition of Expert Defense. :) Question though, any reason you'd start it at 6 and then have it go up every 3rd? I

It actually starts at 2nd level. And goes up by +1 at 6th/9th/12th/15th/18th.

So, you gotta figure by 18th level you are getting a +6 dodge bonus, which stacks with other AC bonuses. You can tweek it however you like to get bigger bonus.

Now, I absolutely love rewarding players who stick with the same class, so you can do something like this:

Advanced Defense: Beginning 13th level (or whatever level you choose), the Weapon Master is able to focus his attention on multiple opponents. He may use Expert Defense against two opponents if he so desires. He declares the ability normally at the beginning of the round and chooses two opponents. However, his dodge bonus is divided equally between both enemies, rounded up. Example: At 15th level, Expert Defense will grant a +5 dodge bonus against a single opponent, or a +3 dodge bonus against two separate opponents.

~Le

TheLe

First Post
Griffith Dragonlake said:
Point is, doing more damage for the sake of damage is boring. It's the same thing as a fighter with a magic weapon. Have this guy do lots of cool and weird things with his weapon.

Good point. How about we throw in something like this then:

Flashy attack: Beginning 7th level, the Weapon Master may attempt a Flashy Attack as a standard action 3 times per day. He does this by twirling his Favored Weapon and moves in a dance-like fashion, distracting his opponents in the process and thereby making an attack against each of them. Doing this, The Weapon Master makes an attack against each adjacent opponent, ignoring all dexterity bonuses to AC, and treated critical hits as normal hits. Note that the Weapon master may only move at half his normal speed when attempting this (minimum of 5-feet), and it does not generate attacks of opportunity.

~Le

TheLe said:
Flashy attack: Beginning 7th level, the Weapon Master may attempt a Flashy Attack as a standard action 3 times per day. He does this by twirling his Favored Weapon and moves in a dance-like fashion, distracting his opponents in the process and thereby making an attack against each of them. Doing this, The Weapon Master makes an attack against each adjacent opponent, ignoring all dexterity bonuses to AC, and treated critical hits as normal hits. Note that the Weapon master may only move at half his normal speed when attempting this (minimum of 5-feet), and it does not generate attacks of opportunity.
Yeah, that qualifies as both cool and weird at the same time. :p

But it also seems a bit overpowered for a 7th level ability. For starters, it should be a full round attack rather than a standard action since he is attacking all opponents within reach. This also removes the half speed penalty.

Another weird and cool ability would be Blind Opponent: When fighting outdoors in sunny contitions, you may attempt a feint (bluff check). If you succeed, you use your shiny weapon as a mirror and blind your opponent for the duration of combat.

Remove ads