• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New listings on the WotC 2007 product page!

Faraer

Explorer
My comment posted on the Candlekeep.com boards about Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land:
This had better be executed immaculately -- nothing at all like the sensationalistic promo copy.
And about Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk:
It will be a lovingly and skillfully executed variation and expansion on WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins, TSR's second ersatz Castle Greyhawk written to make money off the ideas and glamour of Gary Gygax's great dungeon after he was kicked out of his company.
Erik Mona said:
If anything, the Expedition product ought to _help_ sales of "Castle Zagyg." WotC publishes (and sells) quantities at least an order of magnitude higher than all other companies in the business, so increased attention for the Castle ought to help Troll Lords far more than it will hurt them.
I hope so too and think it might. And I hope to read more your thoughts on all this one day.
Erik Mona said:
You can easily add levels to the adventure we created, so it is not outside the realm of possibility that you could play a Castle Greyhawk mega-adventure that included levels from "Expedition," "Greyhawk Ruins," and "Castle Zagyg."
Maybe yours could be used as Castle Dyvers?

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Really excited about Expedition to Castle Greyhawk! If Erik's writing it, it'll be done properly!

Not sure about the 224 page drow book though.

Cheers

Richard

Kishin

First Post
I'll probably be burned at the stake for this, but at this point, I'm about x30 more likely to purchase a product with Erik Mona's name on it than I am one backed by EGG, especially if that product has even a faint Greyhawk twinge to it.

Also, 224 pages on the Drow? Can we shave about 100-150 pages off that book and redistribute them to better deserving books, like Dragonmarked or something in the Environment series or...well, anything?

There's got to be a thousand pages of Drow material in the D&D catalogue, and thats not even counting novels.

Monkey King

Explorer
Nyeshet said:
Ravenloft - Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Greyhawk - Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms - Expedition to Undermountain

It seems each setting is getting its own 'Expedition' book (except, possibly, Ebberon, due to its young age as a setting).

I wonder what other (pre-3e) settings might get an 'Expedition' book associated with them?
Planescape - Expedition to the Demonweb Pits

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Kishin said:
Also, 224 pages on the Drow? Can we shave about 100-150 pages off that book and redistribute them to better deserving books, like Dragonmarked or something in the Environment series or...well, anything?

Ah, but you're neglecting to consider all the pages that need to be relegated to Drow-kin: Draegloth and half-draegloth, driders, etc., etc.

charlesatan

Explorer
Felon said:
Is there a way to address psionic monsters that allows them to be useful to those who don't have the psionics handbooks? Can a pychic warrior or soulknife be presented as easily as a scout or warmage?

Soulknife yes. Psychic Warrior, in general, no, although a low-level one might be workable (it's gonna take up a lot of space though) the same way the Kalashtar's in Eberron had their psionic power ability reprinted as a chunk of text.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Faraer said:
This had better be executed immaculately -- nothing at all like the sensationalistic promo copy.
Why? If there's a WotC setting that lends itself to big, dramatic, even epic adventures, it's Faerun. Heck, do little adventures even happen there? They sure don't seem to in the modules or novels.

I think a three-part hardcover epic adventure series depicting the fall of Shadowdale, the breaking of Elminster's power and the possible rewriting of the laws of magic themselves is exactly the sort of setting most FR fans would like.

If they get to play an active part in all of this, instead of just watching bitchin' NPCs beat the snot out of each other, that's pretty immaculate as far as I suspect most would be concerned.

Lordgrae

First Post
Ugh, I didn't care for MMIV's set up. I bought it, and I'll buy V, but I'd prefer more MMIII style MMs.

Wizards is missing out too. If they released a all MM, and a seperate "advanced" reprinted MM, I'd buy both!

heirodule

First Post
3catcircus said:
While I like the encounter format, I'd like it a heck of a lot better if all of the maps were available as scale-size downloads.

Yeah, the "map galleries" WOTC has been putting online really stink as to scale. Even the "map-a-week" versions have now been limited to 72dpi and you can't get all the maps from a book.

Maybe this new subscription service for WOTC online will oferr hires map downloads.

Remove ads