• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New "Lore On Giants" Preview from Volo's Guide to Monsters

There's a new preview of the upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters available from WotC. This one-page preview contains traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for NPC giants. This joins the previous preview, which features the book's preface from Volo. The 224-page hardcover book lists stores on November 15th (and, presumably, preferred stores 11 days earlier on November 4th).

There's a new preview of the upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters available from WotC. This one-page preview contains traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for NPC giants. This joins the previous preview, which features the book's preface from Volo. The 224-page hardcover book lists stores on November 15th (and, presumably, preferred stores 11 days earlier on November 4th).

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 18.36.07.png

SaveSave

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So it appears that some people can apparently create fluff and story for monsters without any problems... and yet for some reason are not able to make their own monster statblocks. Thus they need WotC to make a complete book of them for them.

Likewise, there are many players who can make up new or adapt current monster statblocks in their sleep to create new monsters, and yet could use an assist in coming up with interesting ideas on what they are, where they come from, why they act the way they do.

And WotC chose not to shortchange either side.

Seems to me, this is exactly how to make a monster book that is most accessible and useful for the largest number of people. And when you throw in the fact they are including a bunch of player races too? You've now given a reason for a lot of the non-DMs to potentially buy the book as well.

If you're looking to make a monster book for the widest possible audience... I don't see how they could have done much better.

They have also supported Kobold Press new Tome of Beasts on the WotC website, so they know people can get their giant book of monsters fix; they are trying to provide a new experience, it seems, and emphasize production values (their forte).

Sacrosanct

Legend
They have also supported Kobold Press new Tome of Beasts on the WotC website, so they know people can get their giant book of monsters fix; they are trying to provide a new experience, it seems, and emphasize production values (their forte).

I was going to mention this. If a person wants a bunch of monsters, there are a ton of them all over the web, and ToB is freaking huge.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was going to mention this. If a person wants a bunch of monsters, there are a ton of them all over the web, and ToB is freaking huge.

The Necromancer Press book, too; WotC has talked about how they realized that just selling rules content is a losing game, which is a big part of why they have gotten creative with product design.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
My complaint would be the following:
the traits ideals bonds and flaws presented asume things about giants ( that might be true for giants in forgotten realms)
But might not fit the idea I have about giants for my homebrew campaign, and thus is just a waste of space.
This will clearly be a forgotten realms product so that is on for a forgotten realms product.

but some people might like something more generic product, where they don't have to stip of the layers of forgotten realms thinking before they get to the parts they can use.

I have to admit, I felt some of this as I read it, as giants in my homebrew are a little different.

Still buying he book first day however, its not something I can't overcome.

Not at all true. Strip away the names and lore and no one would mistake a Mind Flayer for a dragon, nor a beholder for a giant. One of the most common complaints about the 5e MM is how bland the monsters are, and you could craft a finely made novel spanning the history of the species, their culture, and their origins, but if that monster has a basic multiattack and nothing else it’s still bland and uninteresting, in my opinion.

On the flipside, a mechanically interesting creature can be interesting without regards to how much or how little you know about it. Plus, I would hazard a guess that it’s easier for people to think up fluff for things than it is to create comprehensive or smooth rules, so I’m firmly in the camp that less fluff and more crunch is the way to go. I can’t get too mad at Volo’s for this since it’s being sort of marketed on fluff as well, but with the anemic release schedule of 5e I feel for people pain when they want more.
Not really. You can describe a monster however you want. You could describe a Mind Flayer as a hideous insectoid creature with a jagged chitinous barb that punctures the head and sucks out brains. Really, D&D could just have a 4-8 generic statblocks that work for all monsters and just lists of unique powers that you can mix-and-match to create whatever you want. The Monster Manual could be 32-pages long and cover everything with that method.

Fluff defines a monster.

Unless we end up with 50 good ones, 50 stinkers, and fluff for both. I feel quite certain there will be content in this book that is lacking, as is the case for most products. The reduced page count doesn’t help with this, either.
OMG, what if they released an actual MM2 and there were only 50 good ones?! Or NO good ones!!

I don't think that's likely though. When you're doing 100 monsters you have time to make them all count. When you have 300, you're going to slack off with a few. Picking the best 100 monsters for Volo should make it easy to really have some great foes.

Definitely disagree. In other threads on what people want in MM2, users have posted hundreds of ideas they’d like to see. It’s also a great way for wizards to expand into new territory, since as you said, MM1 is pretty much reserved for the icons of the game. I harped on this earlier as well, but in terms of better math there’s definitely a subset of people on this very board who would like more dynamic encounters/monsters and better high-level threats, which are also great for a 2nd MM.
I participated in a few of those threads. It was hard to list more than a couple hundred monsters, not enough to fill a MM2, even a 256-page one.
More high level threats would also be good.

I would also charge that this book is actually less likely to improve the game than a hypothetical MM2. With Volo’s, you not only have fewer creatures, but now you have a bunch of fluff pages you’ll have to re-write if you don’t play FR. It’s simultaneously more niche and less content heavy.
Except you can enjoy the Volo's Guide when not actually playing just by reading the entries. And the fluff might give you ideas for adventures or suggest how to use adventures. And it will be a book that is usable for longer, since fluff doesn't expire during an edition change.

Plus there are races. So it will have that impact.

Also, with the DMsGuild and OGL, I don't see as much need for another "big book of monsters". Any monster you could want has probably been updated a couple times. And with stuff like the Tome of Beasts out there we don't *need* new monsters.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Luckily, the monster manual at the time took the couple of pages that it did to mention some relevant things about orcs, and I was able to figure it out from there.
There is still a Monster Manual. It has an entry on orcs.

Looks like we just obviated the need for an orc entry in Volo's Guide.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
So it appears that some people can apparently create fluff and story for monsters without any problems... and yet for some reason are not able to make their own monster statblocks. Thus they need WotC to make a complete book of them for them.

Likewise, there are many players who can make up new or adapt current monster statblocks in their sleep to create new monsters, and yet could use an assist in coming up with interesting ideas on what they are, where they come from, why they act the way they do...

Isn't there anyone who can do both.... (/wringing hands) ... think of the children....:lol:

There is still a Monster Manual. It has an entry on orcs.

Looks like we just obviated the need for an orc entry in Volo's Guide.
I could say the exact same thing about more orcs stat blocks.

The book has orcs likely so it can include higher CR orcs, information on those orcs, and the role of orcs in the Realms.

Plus, you can have dozens of Oates dedicated to a race's fluff. Look at how much has been written about elves and humans. Lots of room for more orc lore and culture. To say nothing of personality traits/ bonds/flaws.

Reinhart

First Post
I definitely sympathize with those people who want more monsters. There's nothing wrong with wanting or getting more monsters. That said? Most of the monsters already in 5e are just assorted bags of hitpoints with a random selection of ability scores. What really makes each monster distinct are the other interesting traits and characteristics they have. Sometimes those traits are mechanical, but just as often they can be the "fluff" background for the monster.

That's why I'm curious about these random tables for monster traits. It means that even on the fly I have something I can inject into a monster to make it more than just another stat-block. In other words, I guess I don't want more monsters so much as to make the existing monsters more interesting.

Remove ads

Remove ads