New "Lore On Giants" Preview from Volo's Guide to Monsters

There's a new preview of the upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters available from WotC. This one-page preview contains traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for NPC giants. This joins the previous preview, which features the book's preface from Volo. The 224-page hardcover book lists stores on November 15th (and, presumably, preferred stores 11 days earlier on November 4th).

There's a new preview of the upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters available from WotC. This one-page preview contains traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for NPC giants. This joins the previous preview, which features the book's preface from Volo. The 224-page hardcover book lists stores on November 15th (and, presumably, preferred stores 11 days earlier on November 4th).

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 18.36.07.png

SaveSave

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Who is this everyone you speak of? Remember that 'everyone' has different knowledge, likes and opinions. Tolkien orcs are only similar to D&D orcs and I've never played WoW.

And which do I roleplay as Tolkien Orc or a Warcraft Orc? They have vastly different cultures, beliefs, and values.

To be clear, I like fluff when it comes to the introduction of monsters before the stat blocks are given. I want to see fluff the the new monsters in this book that were not in the first Monster Manual. But what I don't like is the random rolls to create personalities and backgrounds of monsters. I know people are different in how they create adventures, but I don't need that. I can come up with backgrounds and personalities for creatures on my on. And It seems forced to me to just go by what a random roll says. Even then, I think the 10 or 20 or so options is still too limiting if you were going to just accept a random roll. To me, being a DM is creating a world and a story, not just accepting some random roll and going with it.

But again, I know people differ in what they want. I'm just saying that in my opinion, this is wasted space, and the rehashing of monsters that we already got in the first MM is also wasted space for me. I would be happy with a book filled with nothing but new monsters, and yes some introductory fluff for each one like they did in the first MM.

It's assumed (but not yet known for certain) that we'll have the stat blocks for the variants for the creatures in Chapter 1 there in that chapter, while the stat blocks for creatures entirely new to 5e will be in Chapter 3.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
As someone running my own world, I like the fluff but stat blocks are the thing that I have to put a lot of time into if I have to make them up. What I really want is a book with just as many stat blocks as possible that all seem as different as possible (as mentioned earlier, kobolds and goblin are nearly identical, save for a hit die and weapon choice).

I know it's been said before, just wanted to put out my side in case anyone on it felt they were alone in the argument.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I would recommend the Tome of Beasts as the Gold Standard for Monster Manuals. That is definitely going to win an Ennie next year.

Dualazi

First Post
Not really. You can describe a monster however you want. You could describe a Mind Flayer as a hideous insectoid creature with a jagged chitinous barb that punctures the head and sucks out brains. Really, D&D could just have a 4-8 generic statblocks that work for all monsters and just lists of unique powers that you can mix-and-match to create whatever you want. The Monster Manual could be 32-pages long and cover everything with that method.

Fluff defines a monster.

Again, mostly disagree. While the twist would throw some people off, the majority of players I’ve had in my game concern themselves first with the danger and mode of attack of monsters, then the motivations of the monsters. As long as it is still a threat of instant kill by brain removal, little of importance has changed. Same thing with other iconic foes like a rust monster; as long as that ability to destroy gear is present it’ll inspire the same fear regardless of how the creature was formed or what it looks like.
I know this makes it seem like I don’t care at all about fluff, and that’s not the case, but to me mechanics will always be of vastly greater importance.

OMG, what if they released an actual MM2 and there were only 50 good ones?! Or NO good ones!!

I don't think that's likely though. When you're doing 100 monsters you have time to make them all count. When you have 300, you're going to slack off with a few. Picking the best 100 monsters for Volo should make it easy to really have some great foes.

It’s not just about being good, although that is a concern, but about being new. If Volos retreads over a bunch of variations of creatures already in the MM1, that’s less attractive to me unless they really knock my socks off as far as playability goes. The new fire giant gives me hope that this is the case, but I’m still hoping we get more diversity, which is less likely the fewer creatures you have.

Except you can enjoy the Volo's Guide when not actually playing just by reading the entries. And the fluff might give you ideas for adventures or suggest how to use adventures. And it will be a book that is usable for longer, since fluff doesn't expire during an edition change.

Plus there are races. So it will have that impact.

The races thing will be useful for some tables, but not mine, and as someone who is primarily a DM that only lessens the value for me, since now 20~ pages are devoted to content that is largely useless to me.

As for the lore, lore is easy to come by. There’s no shortage of prior D&D lore to draw on, a huge bevvy of fantasy literature, real world mythology, and of course video games and movies. Reading a short list of 6 potential bonds for giants, that are all fairly stock as is, isn’t super enjoyable nor terribly helpful. I don’t begrudge people who do like that content, I’m just saying it makes the product less attractive to me personally.

Also, with the DMsGuild and OGL, I don't see as much need for another "big book of monsters". Any monster you could want has probably been updated a couple times. And with stuff like the Tome of Beasts out there we don't *need* new monsters.

I’m not really sold on either of those, to be honest. OGL is probably the best bet, but it’s hit and miss and outside of some big providers is mostly limited to digital and kickstarter releases. Not exactly a dealbreaker, but it’s nice to have a physical product made by people who presumably have the knowledge and resources to design and playtest them effectively.

Also, please don’t trot out the ‘need’ argument. ‘Need’ basically never applies in relation to D&D, people don’t ‘need’ more feats, classes, items, monsters, traps… so on and so forth. But they want them, and at least some want them from official or at least professional channels.

QuietBrowser

First Post
I'm looking forward to this book... and as mentioned before there are already a couple of great 3rd party monster books out there (5th Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts). As for fluff concerning orcs, goblins, etc. there is this... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nordgames/ultimate-bestiary-revenge-of-the-horde-new-5e-mons

Someone mentioned Orogs earlier. Aren't they already in the 5th edition MM or am I thinking of something else?
Yes, Orogs are in the 5e MM. They're basically superior orcs who have the blessings of Gruumsh, if my memory serves me. No inherent magical powers, but they're a lot smarter and more patient than ordinary orcs. They're folded into the Orc entry.

Zarithar

Adventurer
And which do I roleplay as Tolkien Orc or a Warcraft Orc? They have vastly different cultures, beliefs, and values.

Agreed... and I would argue that Tolkien's orcs don't even have a culture to speak of. They are basically slaves to Sauron and Morgoth or Saruman in the case of the Uruk-Hai, and rarely do anything of their own volition that doesn't play into the overall plan of whichever dark lord they serve.

Warcraft orcs are (mostly) an honorable race so long as they haven't been infused with demonic blood.

Forgotten Realms orcs are inherently evil as creations of Grummsh, but as has been shown with Obould Many-Arrows and a few others, some exceptional individuals are able to break that mold.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm not really in favor of a bunch of FR specific fluff. I have never had and will likely never have any use for that setting. However, the giant traits and whatnot gives me a bit of hope - it's easily applicable to any number of monsters and situation, and provides a window into using monsters as NPCs instead of just bags of XP.

The fire giant thing puts me back again. It's just a picture, but the only thing I need less than "Elminster's expertise" is slight variations on a bunch of stuff I already have. "Giant + class levels" isn't a new monster. It reminds me of the 3.5 MM5, which I'm pretty sure was intended as a joke.

I'm not really in favor of a bunch of FR specific fluff. I have never had and will likely never have any use for that setting. However, the giant traits and whatnot gives me a bit of hope - it's easily applicable to any number of monsters and situation, and provides a window into using monsters as NPCs instead of just bags of XP.

The fire giant thing puts me back again. It's just a picture, but the only thing I need less than "Elminster's expertise" is slight variations on a bunch of stuff I already have. "Giant + class levels" isn't a new monster. It reminds me of the 3.5 MM5, which I'm pretty sure was intended as a joke.

If this were still 3rd Edition, I would agree with you. But the difference is that while 3e had transparent and easy rules for determining CR after adding hit dice or class levels, 5e doesn't (at least as of yet), with the rules given in the DMG being fairly obtuse for on-the-fly CR calculations. So, until we get something to ease CR calculation for monster advancement in 5e, I'm fine with some variants stated out for us...

Just to tell you pretty much no monster lore is FR specific. Pretty much all monster lore for D&D applies across most of the settings. The Giant lore is the same as in the monster manual and is assumed to be true for all settings.

Remove ads

Remove ads