• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Metamagic Feat

ByteRynn

First Post
I have a Conjuration(summoner) in my group who is really struggling to find feats that excite him at all. I created a Metamagic feat that I want to offer him, but I'd like input to try and balance it.

Conjoined Summoning [Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Augment Summoning
Benefeit: You may conjoin any spell you know with range: touch or personal to a Conjuration (summoning) spell you have prepared (if you prepare spells) or can cast (if you spontaniously cast spells.) This allows any creatures summoned by that casting of the spell to appear as if they had just had the conjoined spell cast upon them. The duration of the conjoined spell starts on the turn the creature is summoned. You may only conjoin one spell to a Conjuration (summoning) spell at a time.
This increases the spell level of the Conjuration (Summoning) spell a number of levels equal to the conjoined spell's level -1, with a minimum increase of 1 level.

Example: Laz the conjurer can cast Summon Monster II as a third level spell, summoning 1d3 celestial badgers with mage armor, bull's strength, invisibility, or shield pre-cast upon them.

Is this broken? Should the level add be equal to the conjoined spell's level? Comments? Questions? Help wording this feat?

green slime

First Post
Looks good to me at first glance.

I'd need to think about for a while.

You might be better off splitting up the feat per few spell levels, and requiring the earlier levels.

Conjoined Summoning I.
Prerequisite: Caster level 5.
Add one 1st to 2nd level personal or touch spell to your summoned creatures. This adds +1 spell level to the summoning spell.

(I'd actually be a bit wary about personal spells, come to think of it. I'd have to go over them to chcek for possible abuses.)

Conjoined Summoning II
Prerequisite: Caster level 9, Conjoined Summoning I
Add one personal or touch spell of a level no greater than 4th to your summoned creatures. This adds +3 spell level to the summoning spell.

Or something similar. YMMV.

Jack Simth

First Post
I'd be particularly leery of applying Personal spells - all those Summoned Monsters are either Elementals, Magical Beasts, or Outsiders.... and there's some really nifty things you can do with Alter Self on those.

Gets really bad if you can use higher level spells - imagine what happens when you conjoin a Shapechange to Summon Monster VIII - yeah, I'll take a Fiendish Monstrous Centepede, and command it to turn into... let's see... they have 24 hit dice, and I have a caster level of 18, so.... it can be a Pit Fiend today, minus the spell-like abilities.

green slime

First Post
Jack Simth said:
I'd be particularly leery of applying Personal spells - all those Summoned Monsters are either Elementals, Magical Beasts, or Outsiders.... and there's some really nifty things you can do with Alter Self on those.

Gets really bad if you can use higher level spells - imagine what happens when you conjoin a Shapechange to Summon Monster VIII - yeah, I'll take a Fiendish Monstrous Centepede, and command it to turn into... let's see... they have 24 hit dice, and I have a caster level of 18, so.... it can be a Pit Fiend today, minus the spell-like abilities.

Except.... that by his original idea, SM VIII + Shape Change = 8 + 9 -1 = 16th level spell... Not likely to be done on caster level 18.

Somehow, if you are using a 16th level spell slot to do this, I don't see much of a problem.

Interesting idea, but needs time to perculate.

Arkhandus

First Post
Aye, about the worst you could do at non-epic levels would be a 7th-level Summon Monster conjoined with a 3rd-level spell like Displacement or whatnot, or a 6th-level Summon Monster conjoined to a 4th-level spell like Stoneskin or Fire Shield, or whatever. Probably not overpowered for someone blowing 9th-level spell slots on something other than 9th-level spells. I suppose you could conjoin a Summon Monster I celestial badger with a Prismatic Sphere or whatever, but I don't know if that would really be any better (generally speaking) than just using Prismatic Sphere on yourself.

Might even warrant reducing the spell slot adjustment to "conjoined spell's level -2" instead of "conjoined spell's level -1."

ByteRynn

First Post
I was afraid personal spells might be broken-but I havn't seen anything that makes me think there are serious abuses. You know what? I am okay with a 16th level spell summoning a Pit Fiend with no special abilities.

I am not sure I want to go with a feat chain, as I feel the feat mechanic I have will smoothly handle the conjoining all the way up.

So the question is: comnined spell level -1 or combined spell level -2?

I am playtesting it right now, and will let you know how it plays.

Thanks for the feedback and feel free to let me know anything else you think of.

Last edited:

ByteRynn

First Post
I am almost more scared of allowing personal spells based on the Cleric side of things.

For balance purposes, let's look at option:
as A 6th level spell:
Is 1d4+1 celestial badgers, all effected by divine power or
1d4+1 celestial lions

Heck, at higher levels, being able to Divine Favor all Summoned Creatures for a +1 spell slot could get nasty...but I am not sure that it is so much more nasty than other +1 metamagics.

Vanye

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
I feel like I've seen a feat exactly like this in an official book, anyone know if I'm just making this up?

I remember it too. I think it was called Imbue Spell or something like that.
(edit 1)
Found it in Consolidated Feats list on WIZARDS.COM:
Imbued Summoning PH2 92 Your summoning spells gain an element of surprise.

I don't remember the details, but I remember that it allowed you to link a spell to summoned creature in some way.

(edit 2)
Found a mention in an RPG Net review review; it allows you to add 3rd level or less spells to your conjured creatures. allows them to arrive prebuffed.

Hrm. A 6th level monster summoning used to summon multiple 4th level summon creatures, with a haste spell preapplied....not bad....

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads