• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Monster Stats (Dungeons of Dread)

Citan

First Post
Hi guys,

I'm a big fan of EN World and since the revelation of 4th Edition last year I've changed my mind from very sceptical to very (positively) excited. I live in Germany and a local gaming store in my hometown (Essen) started selling Dungeons of Dread starter and boosters today.
Unfortunately I could get just the starter (a little disappointing because the stat cards only show DDM stats) and two boosters (very handy, much smaller packaging now). So here I am now, posting official 4th edition stat blocks from the two boosters I managed to get :cool:
For now, I have just typed in 4 creatures (the most interesting in my opinion). The rest of the creatures I got were old aquaintances like the Chillborn, the Defiant Rake, the Shadow Demon and low level orc, troglodyte, elf and kobold minis. Their stats are very similiar to the ones seen online.

Runecarved Eidolon Level 13 Lurker (Leader)
Large Natural Animate (Construct)

Init: +11 Speed: 4
Senses: Perception +8
Immune: Poison
HP: 59 (Bloodied: 29)
AC: 23 Fort: 22 Ref:16 Will:21

ATTACKS
Slam: Reach 2; +17 vs AC; 1D6+6
Twin Slam: Standard; 2 attacks
Divine Retribution: Immediate, when takes damage or when ally at 0 HP while divine beacon active. Range 20, nearest; +16 vs Reflex; 3D8+5 radiant

ABILITIES
Divine Beacon: Standard; allies in sight, +2 attack, +5 damage;
enemies in sight, -5 attack and can't target this creature unless hit with Wis vs Will. Ends when this creature attacks.
Eidolon Programming: Can't attack until attacked or ally at 0 HP.

Str+12 (23); Con+10 (18); Dex+6 (10); Int+4 (7); Wis+8 (14); Cha+11 (20)

------------------------

Tiefling Warlock Level 7 Artillery
Medium Natural Humanoid

Init: +3 Speed: 6
Senses: low-light vision; Perception +3
HP: 40 (Bloodied: 20)
AC: 18 Fort: 19 Ref:17 Will:21

ATTACKS
Soul Blast: Range 20; +9 vs Fort; 1D8+5 necrotic

LIMITED POWERS
Curse of the Lurking Serpent: Minor; +9 vs Will; 1D6+5 poison if ends turn closer to this creature (the warlock), save ends. Recharge 5, only if no target affected.
Desperate Distraction: Immediate, only when bloodied; reroll ranged attack that just hit this creature, use lower result. Recharge 4
Diabolic Escape: Move; invisible 1 round, then teleport 5. Recharge 6

ABILITIES
Heretic's Fury: +2 attack and damage if enemies outnumber allies in sight

Str+4 (12); Con+6 (17); Dex+3 (10); Int+5 (14); Wis+3 (10); Cha+8 (21)

Comment: Seems that this warlock has made his pact with some other entity than fey. His eldritch blast is called soul blast and deals necrotic damage for example.

------------------------

Angel of Valor Level 8 Soldier
Medium Immortal Humanoid (Angel)

Init: +11 Speed: 6 Fly: 8 (Hv)
Senses: Perception +10
Immune: Fear Resist: lightning 15, rediant 15
HP: 57 (Bloodied: 28)
AC: 24 Fort: 19 Ref:18 Will:21

ATTACKS
Longsword: +16 vs AC; 1D8+3 AND
Dagger: +15 vs AC; 1D4+3
Lightning Blades: Minor; until start of its next turn, melee attacks targert Ref and deal lightning damage. Effect ends if <i>awesome presence</I> canceled

LIMITED POWERS:
Lightning Strike: Burst 1; +10 vs. Fort; 3D8+6 lightning damage AND dazed for 1 round. Recharge 6.

ABILITIES
Awesome Presence: -2 attack against this creature until it is Bloodied. Fear effect.
Valorous Strike: When it hits with melee attacks, allies within 10 make immediate save to end fear effect.

Str+7 (17); Con+6 (14); Dex+6 (15); Int+4 (10); Wis+5 (13); Cha+10 (23)

------------------------

Warrior Wight Level 9 Soldier (Leader)
Medium natural Humanoid (Undead)

Init: +10 Speed: 5
Senses: Perception +5
Immune: Poison Resist: necrotic 20 Weakness: vulnerable to radiant 5
HP: 66 (Bloodied: 33)
AC: 24 Fort: 22 Ref:19 Will:21

ATTACKS
Longsword: +16 vs AC; 1D8+5 AND followup
Followup (Life Drain): +9 vs. Fort, living only; Immobilized for 1 round AND -2 cumulative Fort AND this creature heals 10. Fort=0, hp=0
Ends when rest or expend healing surges = 1/2 Fort penalty.

LIMITED POWERS:
Necromantic Alacrity: Free, when hits with life drain; extra move. Recharge 4.
Soul Reaping (Melee): +12 vs. Fort, Immobilized only; 1D12+5 necrotic AND healing reserves -1; this creature gains +4 attack/defense for the rest of the encounter. Recharge 4.

Str+9 (20); Con+8 (18); Dex+5 (12); Int+4 (10); Wis+5 (12); Cha+9 (20)

Comment: The wording of the Life Drain ability is a bit confusing for me and I don't understand what "healing reserve -1" means...

Last edited:

Revinor

First Post
Life drain is quite simple. Look at it as Energy Drain 4th edition.

On each hit, one 'level' is drained. Each level mean -2 to Fort defense. When your Fort defense reaches zero, you fall down and start to die (your hp go to 0). You can recover lost 'levels' by spending one healing surge per level lost or by resting. Each time Mr Wight drains a level he recovers 10 hp.

Healing reserves - there is no confirmation, but I would expect just losing 1 healing surge.

Howndawg

Explorer
The names of the warlock powers seem very Howardian. It seems some folks at Wotc have been reading a lot of Conan lately.

The_Fan

First Post
Beat me to it.

Also, the cascading effects of that life drain are quite nasty. Makes you more vulnerable to further applications of it, and then there's that soul reaping...pretty scary. Plus the whole thing makes it harder for you to recover from future battles, taking a huge chunk out of the "virtual HP" healing surges provide.

Gargazon

First Post
That runecarved Eidolon actually looks quite overpowered... It can, seemingly at will, immediately hit you for 3d8 +4 radiant damage whenever you attack it or kill an ally?

I notice that it looks quite easy to kill, though, with its low defences and HP (for a level 13 they seem low, atleast), but that's still a very scary creature :\

baberg

First Post
Gargazon said:
That runecarved Eidolon actually looks quite overpowered... It can, seemingly at will, immediately hit you for 3d8 +4 radiant damage whenever you attack it or kill an ally?

I notice that it looks quite easy to kill, though, with its low defences and HP (for a level 13 they seem low, atleast), but that's still a very scary creature :\
It should be noted that he can only do that if he is basically acting as a statue for the rest of the encounter. Plus, the target is controlled, so it seems the basic strategy would be to put the PC with the highest Reflex defense next to it while the rest of the team nails it from range.

Gargazon

First Post
baberg said:
It should be noted that he can only do that if he is basically acting as a statue for the rest of the encounter. Plus, the target is controlled, so it seems the basic strategy would be to put the PC with the highest Reflex defense next to it while the rest of the team nails it from range.

Actually, he can do it if he moves - the Divine Beacon ability ends when the Eidolon attacks, so it could technically wander around, dispensing Retributions until it's the only thing left and needs to attack.

It'd be rather difficult to have the party Rogue (who I'd assume has the highest Reflex Defence) run around hugging the thing so as to suck up all its Retributions.

It's actually a real nasty piece of work: -5 on all attacks unless you get the thing to attack you? And it's got an ability which prevents it from attacking, which is only de-activated if you kill an enemy (which, if they're level 13, it probably quite difficult with a -5 penalty to all attacks) or attack it (which also requires a Wis attack versus its Will, again with a -5 penalty, which would probably give your average 13th level character with a Wis of 12 a... +1 against a defence of 21?).

One thing I wonder - is that a standard action to sustain the Divine Beacon? Cause if it is that thing is never going to be throwing away attacks until all its allies are dead, or someone hits it with an attack that forces it to make an attack. And is Divine Retribution an attack? Now I'm kinda confused...

Wow, that monster brings alot of tactical thinking with it to a fight :D I like!

Edit: Realised what I said made no sense :heh:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Citan said:
Hi guys,

I'm a big fan of EN World and since the revelation of 4th Edition last year I've changed my mind from very sceptical to very (positively) excited. I live in Germany and a local gaming store in my hometown (Essen) started selling Dungeons of Dread starter and boosters today.
Huh? That's pretty early... I guess I have to visit some game stores after Easter... :D

Since I don't want to get the store in trouble, I don't want to hear names... but little direction where the store is? Innenstadt? Steele? Rüttenscheid/Rellinghausen?

Hey, sometimes it has to have perks to come back home during vacation!

Cheers, LT.

drjones

Explorer
Is this set out in the US yet? I have a preorder on a case for a limited with some friends but I was thinking it would be a few weeks still.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads