• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Monte-Cook Based Tech Equipment

Greatfrito

First Post
For our campaign we're adopting technology almost to the point of steam-punk, basing it on Monte's Cook's free pdf available in his "The Stuff" archive.

[find it here: Lawful Technology ]

Anyways, using this as a base, and pretty much going off where imagination sees fit after that, we've come up with the following.

New Tech Items
(Based on Monte Cook's Tech Rules and sheer coolnicity)
===========================================================

Weapon Name Cost Size Dam. Type Dam. Crit Range Weight
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Static Gun 1,500gp. 2h electricity 4d6** N/A * 8lbs.
Pepperbox Pistol
1,000gp. light piercing 4d10 x3 20ft. 3lbs.

Armor Name Cost Base Armor Type Modifications
Electro-Repulsive Armor
+8,000gp. Any Metal +2 Deflection Bonus (nonmagical) against metal weapons
Electro-Magnetic Shield
+? Any Steel Shield Easily disarms opponents of metallic weapons

* Special, see text
** Damage inflicted in a line 40ft. long

Descriptions:
================================
(Electro-Magnetic Shield):
By building in wiring and electrical components into a shield it can be made to draw metallic objects to it, allowing the user to effectively disarm most foes. The user can make a disarm attempt with the shield as normal, but if it is used against a metallic object the opposed attack gets a +8 magnetic bonus. If the object is a two-handed weapon, it drops to the ground normally. If it is one-handed or light (compared to the shield's user) it instead sticks to the front of the shield, and cannot be retrieved unless the opponent makes his own disarm attempt against the held weapon, and then succeeds at a DC 15 strength check to pry it free.

(Electro-Repulsive Armor):
By building in a static converter and a reverse electro-magnetic field generator into a set of metallic armor it can be made to deflect metallic weapon attacks against the wearer, providing a non-magical deflection bonus to AC against such attacks. These modifications can be made to any metallic or mostly-metallic armor. The energy for the field is drawn from the static energy caused by the movement of the wearer, and thus does not function if the character is not moving (unconcious or otherwise helpless).

(Pepperbox Pistol):
This pistol has four barrels, but unlike the double pistol the Pepperbox Pistol cannot fire the barrels seperately. The gun fires all of the rounds at the same target as one attack. It takes a full round action to reload a pepperbox pistol, so they are usually used once in a combat, and then switched out for a less time-consuming weapon.

(Static Gun):
This device consists of a large metal coil around a sturdy metal rod, which, when properly charged, conducts a bolt of electricity to strike in a line out to 40ft away from the user, dealing 4d6 damage (Refl Half, DC 18). It takes 4 rounds for the full static charge to build, although it can be discharged earlier, though it only deals 1d6 damage for each round charged up to the max. The gun can be overcharged, but this deals 1d4 damage to the user per round from static feedback. In this case the gun deals 1d6 additional damage for every 2 rounds spend overcharging. If the gun is overcharged for more than 10 rounds, it explodes, destroying the gun and dealing 10d6 electricity damage (Refl Half, DC 20) to everything in a 10ft radius.
The gun itself draws its power from a powerful turbine that must be driven by hand. It is a standard action to charge the gun for a round, and the gun can only remain charged for one hour before it loses its charge.

As more gets done, I'll update here, but as is, I was just looking for any input and/or suggestions along these lines, or suggestions about how these might work better.

On a more specific note, I have absolutely no idea how to price the Electro-Magnetic Shield. I know it should be fairly high... but as to what it should be, I have idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and if anyone wants to borrow it, feel free. Good to know more groups than my own would be using it.

Privateer

First Post
I wouldn't use Monte Cook's tech stuff as a base. Look at page 5: he says a nonmagic shield guardian costs 75,000 GP, and later on the page says the DC to upkeep something is its cost divided by 100. So, on one page, Monte just sets up a DC 750 check. Um... right.

He also forgets to say at what speed the hang glider moves at, but provides how long it can fly. Useful, no? :p

Also; reloading a pistol as a move action? Really, I've heard of sacrificing realism for fun, but... a move action? One shot a round? That's pushing it, to me.

He is right about guns not penetrating AC, though, but other than that the document didn't seem too wonderful.

Greatfrito

First Post
Okay, well, honestly, when I say "as a base" I mean "using some ideas, and fixing some terriblly miswritten rules" like the maintenance ones (we caught it on the steam armor though... I'm weary of the constructs, and would rather just come up with all-new ones than try to strip existing constructs of their abilities, but that will happen much, much later).

As for the firearm reload times... *shrug* if I can get it passed my overly-real-life-based players, then I'm gonna use it. Honestly, firearms aren't exactly... better, than anything. Hell, they're vastly inferior to bows in dnd. Making it a move action to reload a pistol that has a range increment half that of a bow *shrug*, ain't that bad to me. Crossbows generally have better range to offset their lower damage, and the cost of all firearms makes them out of the reach of most characters for a good while (you could have a repeater rifle, or you could have a +1 bow).

And one of the things I like the most is that it keeps everything very simple - no special rules for firearms mishaps, no rules for modifications on the fly - it treats them just like another ranged weapon type.

Anyways, any suggestions are still welcome, and I'm looking for more ideas here. While the technologically inovative gnomes are more looking at practical applications, there are some crazy humans going to town with the new tech, bending it to meet their needs (ie. this stuff here). Oh, and if anyone can price the shield thing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Remove ads