• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Neverwinter Nights Game Probably On Its Way

Deverash

First Post
That not even all classes will be supported (only five, my guess is fighter, wizard, rogue, ranger, cleric) already shows how "true" Cryptic wil stay to D&D lore.

Wait a second. Because they're aren't trying to get all 20 something classes out in the first game, they aren't going to stay true to D&D? As much as I like druids and bards, they aren't exactly necessary to D&D. I'm ok with them doing some of the classes and putting out more as time goes on.

Unfortunately, I tend to share the fears of the other people about Cryptics games. I liked City of Heroes well enough, but Champions Online wasn't really Champions like at all. Now, if they're going the guild wars route, I won't mind much at all, but I don't want to pay a monthly fee for a game that's pretty much like all the other MMOs I've played, whether it's D&D or not.

And the fact that the guy that gave the interview thought that action points are used for rerolls or bonus dice is not comforting(at least he's just the COO).

Last edited:

Derren

Hero
Play with friends or computer controlled members. (multiplayer seems similar to the originals in this respect)

Sounds like Away Teams in Star Trek Online.
Not good at all...

Wait a second. Because they're aren't trying to get all 20 something classes out in the first game, they aren't going to stay true to D&D? As much as I like druids and bards, they aren't exactly necessary to D&D. I'm ok with them doing some of the classes and putting out more as time goes on.

What about Paladins, Clerics and Warlocks? You know, the 4E core classes?
And Cryptic has so far not supported any of their fast food games at all. So don't get your hopes up for getting new classes. (You would likely need to buy them with microtransactions anyway).

Last edited:

SquareKnot

Explorer
Yes, Virginia, There is a Cleric

Two quick points. First, in the interview, the 5 classes are identified as:
Fighter, Wizard, Ranger, Rogue, and ... Cleric. The splashscreen shows the five, with the human[?] female cleric being on the left, identifiable as holding a mace, followed to her left by the tiefling wizard, human fighter in center, then elf rogue, and human bow ranger.

Second, the game's name is "Neverwinter," not "Neverwinter Nights." I'm not sure what to make of that. It could be a desire to put some distance between it and the Neverwinter Nights franchise. It could be an intellectual property issue. Who knows.

WizarDru

Adventurer
It's been confirmed that the classes will be, as you might guess from their website: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard and Ranger. Their description of the game sounds like something in the middle between Diablo (or, if you prefer, D&D Heroes) and Guild Wars. It does not sound all that great. They do suggest that player made content will be somethign that can happen, but they also seem to suggest such limited main game content, I'm not sure what to make of it. Oooh, we'll get Humans AND Elves AND Dwarves and maybe another race besides? Wow, don't go too far out on a limb, guys. :p

I used to think that Cryptic was the bee's knees. Certainly, City of Heroes was a refreshing change from contemporary MMOs. But CO was a disappointment and I was in on the ST:O Beta and knew what was coming for the live game (which is why I didn't buy it). It's not just that it was extremely buggy, the gameplay was weak and more problematically, very un-Star Trek at times (though to be fair, sometimes they nailed it out of the park).

To say I'm skeptical would be an understatement.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Everything good that happened in City of Heroes happened more or less in spite of Cryptic. The best thing to happen to the game was to have it transfered to NCSoft. Since then they've more or less done nothing of worth.

Granted, they got rid of the tumor that is Bill Roper, but my hopes are, ah, not high.

hvg3akaek

First Post
Has someone mentioned this yet?

From here:
Jack Emmert said:
In the tabletop game, an action point lets a player perform a reroll or add an additional die to a roll.
Uh...the basic function of the Action Point is to get another action...

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Ugh. I'm a big 4e fan, but my interest in this is ZERO. I'm tired of MMO's. I refuse to buy or play any more and Cryptic sucks.

I essentially want Final Fantasy Tactics/Shining Force, but with 4e rules and set in the D&D universe. I want a core single-player game, but with co-op supporting multiple players (both online and shared screen in the same room) complete with map editor and encounter editor so you can essentially use it to run encounters in your living room for your pen and paper D&D game. That would be my dream. I would easily pay $100 for such a game if it didn't suck and was PS3 or 360 friendly.

Failing that, I want something along the lines of D&D Heroes or Dark Alliance.

But regardless, I want it to be available on consoles and NO FREAKING MMOs!!!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Has someone mentioned this yet?

From here:
Originally Posted by Jack Emmert
In the tabletop game, an action point lets a player perform a reroll or add an additional die to a roll.

Uh...the basic function of the Action Point is to get another action...
He must play Trailblazer. It has many options when you spend an Action Point.

There might be hope for this game yet!
win.gif

Remove ads