• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New News Page Layout

This is just an experiment - I'm not sold on it. The idea is that bigger news items dropped out of sight pretty quickly with the old format, while this one allows more to be seen at a glance. On the downside, it also makes it look a lot like every other news site on the web. The difference isn't as big as it appears at first - it's just that individual items are collapsed rather than expanded by default, in an attempt to make more room. Other than that, it's the same.

This is just an experiment - I'm not sold on it. The idea is that bigger news items dropped out of sight pretty quickly with the old format, while this one allows more to be seen at a glance. On the downside, it also makes it look a lot like every other news site on the web. The difference isn't as big as it appears at first - it's just that individual items are collapsed rather than expanded by default, in an attempt to make more room. Other than that, it's the same.
Anyhow, with the caveat that nobody likes change, let me know how you get on with it. It may stay, or it may go back to the old way. Switching it back is only a single click away!

JesterOC

Explorer
I don't much like this new version, but I agree that the old version can burry articles. Perhaps a combo, the first 1 or 2 articles in full, followed by a shortened list?

Nellisir

Hero
Getting used to the newfangled stuff.
Still don't like the slideshow. It all like, whoa, what up dude, here, have some SLIDESHOW in your face, ha ha, you looked too late and now we skippin' on dude.

Zaran

Adventurer
Sorry, I really don't like it. It reminds me of WotC's new site and I can't find anything on that anymore. I much rather the new articles be on top and easy to see what's it about before deciding to read the rest or move on to the one below it.

mattdiss

Explorer
Didn't like it at first, but with some time to adapt, I appreciate being able to see more articles. I would like to see on the front page how many comments each article has (not just views, but number of comments).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Didn't like it at first, but with some time to adapt, I appreciate being able to see more articles. I would like to see on the front page how many comments each article has (not just views, but number of comments).

Not fond, but this idea would help.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Most of them don't have comments. I tend to divert discussion to the forum instead (which is where you'll see notations like [106 replies] in the text of an article itself. Splitting discussions up between the CMS and the messageboards always seems a bad idea to me.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
I like it, but for some reason keep thinking that the Polls/Reviews/other info panels currently on the right should be on the left..
Just personal expectations I suppose compared to other sites I visit and preference.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I must admit - and I know I'm biased! - but I'm in love with the "Out Now" panel on the right!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've removed the view counts for now. I kinda like 'em - an at-a-glance view of what folks are finding interesting, but I get that's not for everyone.

Azuos

First Post
(First comment/post, hello)
I just had to sign up after god knows how long when I noticed the change...
Well, it's is modern, it is neat, and sometimes changing is good just because, right? But I think scrolling is less annoying than clicking. I explain, I'd rather see the news complete as they where in the previous version than click in each and everyone of them. Sometimes I just want to look at the pictures, sometimes I and willing the read'em all. The previous layout allowed me to do it all.
Anyway, the new layout is indeed beautiful, but I found the previous to be more practical, to my personal taste, of course.
Perhaps would be possible (FYI, now nothing about webdesign and stuff) to maintain a similar approach to this (collapsed news) and add a "expand", or similar, button to, as the name suggests,dinamically expand said news without actually going to another page? I believe it would join the best of both world, less clicking from the new and less loading from the old.

Btw, LOVED the "Out now" and "Coming soon" boxes, great ideas!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads