• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Beyond that, I do not believe any of the major specific change will reappear. That includes the Create Spell rules for wizards, the newer sorcerer spells and pact cantrips, sorcerer super-wish, or mystic arcanum as an invocation.
Gosh, I expect all of that to make it through: I think pact-magic will probably come back (based on the direction they too kfor the Monk), but I could see each of those other bits making it to the bext round, easy.

Hussar

Legend
Oh it’s nothing to do with detail. It’s purely about the moment in which the choice is made, and whether it’s safe, etc

There’s a bg difference between how easy it is to have the safety for “okay we can take a quick breather” and “okay get lunch out and let’s hang out for an hour”.

See that’s my point. Usually there isn’t a big difference. Sure. Yes. There are times when it matters. But I’m thinking that those are fairly corner case and not particularly a common enough issue to make the change.

If you time for a “short rest” it probably doesn’t matter if that rest is 10 minutes or 60. Most of the time.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Gosh, I expect all of that to make it through: I think pact-magic will probably come back (based on the direction they too kfor the Monk), but I could see each of those other bits making it to the bext round, easy.
It won’t be straight up 2014 Pact Magic, I’d bet. They indicated they had several ideas.

I think that next we will see something like Pact Magic with more slots, but not all are top level. (If your level 10 you’d have 2 5ths, and 1 4th and 1 3rd, or whatever) or something like 2014 PM but with ways to get a single slot back x/day without resting, etc.

Incenjucar

Legend
Was weakened ever a condition, or was that 4e? Because I was just working on my diseases PDF and wanted to make someone weakened....
4E had a Weakened effect. 5E has a "weakening" effect from gold dragon's secondary breath weapon: "disadvantage on Strength-based attack rolls, Strength checks, and Strength saving throws"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It won’t be straight up 2014 Pact Magic, I’d bet. They indicated they had several ideas.

I think that next we will see something like Pact Magic with more slots, but not all are top level. (If your level 10 you’d have 2 5ths, and 1 4th and 1 3rd, or whatever) or something like 2014 PM but with ways to get a single slot back x/day without resting, etc.
Could be that they wanted to see first if:

A) people preferred the Long Rest Half-Caster version (jury is still out, strictspeaking)

and

B) Set up a B test to the 2014's A test for their next proposal to seem less radical and find out more details on pain points.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
See that’s my point. Usually there isn’t a big difference. Sure. Yes. There are times when it matters. But I’m thinking that those are fairly corner case and not particularly a common enough issue to make the change.
And yet issues with groups not wanting to take a 1-hour rest are common enough for Crawford to talk about it at length in multiple videos and redesign the Warlock over it.
If you time for a “short rest” it probably doesn’t matter if that rest is 10 minutes or 60. Most of the time.
Nope. If your playstyle currently causes the group to be reluctant to take 1 hour breaks, they will almost certainly be more willing to take a 10 minute rest in the same situations.

Hell the group doesn’t have to agree to a rest. Just wait for the wizard to start ritual casting and tell the DM you’re taking a short rest while the wizard casts.

Remathilis

Legend
I don't. I suspect a few ideas might be salvaged (the pact cantrips returning as regular class features, for example) but I absolutely suspect the rest will be either redone ground up or replaced. The only thing I would feel comfortable with is some QoL tweaks to the current class features, but any new idea that got put in that UA is just as likely to be junked and to re-appear.

FitzTheRuke

Legend

That's interesting because I feel the very opposite: I can easily imagine a party holding up in a room in a dungeon/castle/cave for 10 minutes to get a breather, even with enemies all around, and yet I find it almost impossible to justify the same ever happening in a full hour without interruption.

OTOH, I can barely imagine a situation when you could find time for a 1-hour rest that you couldn't just go for the full 8. Here and there, sure, but often? Nope. Certainly not three or four times a day! At an hour, you might as well just long rest. At 10 (or even 20) minutes, you can fit it in before kicking in the next door. YMMV, obviously!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Anyone with a ritual spell prepped can ritually cast it and multiple classes now have full access to the same spell list as the wizard. There's no reason to be pointing the spotlight at a wizard as a trigger for monk or a possible regressed warlock getting back "ALL" resources.

See this is theorycraft thinking, not real game thinking.

I mean, it's not that you're wrong-wrong. If we carefully analyze every possible Short Rest situation, we will probably find that yes, most of the time, with metagame knowledge and so on, it didn't actually matter if it was 10 or 60.

But in-game, it often feels completely insane to just stop some busy adventuring day to hang out in a room (often in the middle of a dungeon or w/e) for an ENTIRE HOUR, and is thus just narratively bizarre. I've seen this with various groups - not just ones I've been in, even - people know that, mechanically, they should Short Rest, but dramatically/narratively the idea of stopping for an entire bloody hour seems just totally inappropriate. When you take that time down to 20 minutes, suddenly that changes dramatically. It's much more something people can reasonably buy, dramatically/narratively.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads