• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Much as I thought making everything PB many uses per long rest was a terrible idea for tracking so many separate features... I was curious to see how they'd go about making all the classes perform based on long rest design.

I'm expecting we're going back to 2014 with all of 2014's problems with that too.

Remathilis

Legend
I mean ... spoiler alert, but Playtest 5 ...
With the exception of weapon mastery, I have no faith any specific change in packet 5 will appear in whatever packet the warriors and mages are redone in.
I doubt that survived playtest 6, we just have not seen it officially yet
I maintained what they did to correct Wild Shape would be a harbinger of what they do to correct pact magic. IE: bandaid patch rather than fix the root of the problem.
Look at the packet 6 monk. We are back to recover all kidiscipline. On short rests. I wouldn't put much faith in warlock not reverting to using the gm as the fulcrum.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we are getting pact magic back, but with a 1-minute recharge 1/day power ala monk to allow for a free recharge. Else, they will increase # of slots but cap # of recharges.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
With the exception of weapon mastery, I have no faith any specific change in packet 5 will appear in whatever packet the warriors and mages are redone in.
I think the Barbarian Rage changes have a good chance of making it in, and the Class Spell features have good odds in my book.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

I maintained what they did to correct Wild Shape would be a harbinger of what they do to correct pact magic. IE: bandaid patch rather than fix the root of the problem.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we are getting pact magic back, but with a 1-minute recharge 1/day power ala monk to allow for a free recharge. Else, they will increase # of slots but cap # of recharges.
Total agreement. I'm dubious that the monster math revamp will even materialize in a form providing any meaningful change in the capabilities of helpless targets built to pointlessly gum at the beneficiaries of truck-kun's blessings known as PCs at this rate.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Realistically neither is a long rest. We all recognize that a person going from near death (1 hp) to full health after a single nights sleep is ludicrous in the extreme. But that's the game, we accept this disbelieve to enjoy an exciting action packed game. (or you play the 1 week variant ;))

So under that context, 5-10 minutes to "take a breather, stretch, and bandage some wounds" is pretty reasonble.
My issue with that is, I rather abhor that context. I vastly prefer doing a longer short and long rest, or requiring a haven for proper nonmagical healing, as Level Up does. I don't accept the suspension of disbelief.

Remathilis

Legend
I think the Barbarian Rage changes have a good chance of making it in, and the Class Spell features have good odds in my book.
Let me add a little more nuance to this...

I suspect some of the changes from packet five will carry over. I suspect the warlock and sorcerer spells known/prepped will remained increased. I suspect twin spell is still going to nerfed to high-high heaven, chaos bolt and hex/EB will be back as class specific spells. I wager the berserker will no longer suffer exhaustion. I suspect fighters will be able to reassign masteries to different weapons. All of those changes are QoL and easy to implement.

Beyond that, I do not believe any of the major specific change will reappear. That includes the Create Spell rules for wizards, the newer sorcerer spells and pact cantrips, sorcerer super-wish, or mystic arcanum as an invocation.

Remathilis

Legend
Total agreement. I'm dubious that the monster math revamp will even materialize in a form providing any meaningful change in the capabilities of helpless targets built to pointlessly gum at the beneficiaries of truck-kun's blessings known as PCs at this rate.
The Monster Math change will match what they were doing in MotM. HP adjustments, a new feature or two, and spellcasters redone as special abilities. The only major change I wager will be in how they appear to be removing "magical weapons" as a concept for damage reduction.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Was weakened ever a condition, or was that 4e? Because I was just working on my diseases PDF and wanted to make someone weakened....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads