• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Reef

Hero
If your DM would rather TPK the party than let your warlock function, it’s time to find a new DM.
Okay, this has gotten blown way out of proportion. “Not as many as I’d like” doesn’t mean “nerfed into uselessness”. And the TPK thing was more just saying that of course the DM controls the pacing. It’s always been that way. I’m boggled by the idea that the players can just dig in their heels and ignore that.

Let me put it this way: if a DM came in here complaining that their players refused to do more than one fight without taking a short rest every time, there’d be tons of advice about time limits on quests and wandering monsters. I’m guessing no one would say “Suck it up, the players get to decide and you can’t do anything”.

I’m really regretting opening this can of worms now. Let’s just say I’m looking forward to trying out the new system.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Which I have done. Please give me some credit for knowing how to adult. I’ve known this DM for 45 years. But this is something we don’t agree on. He doesn’t like the concept of hour long breaks in the middle of the dungeon. At the end of the day, it’s his call. We can adapt, or just not play.

But this is not an uncommon complaint. So it’s not just us being wish-washy or something. Like it or not, the DM is the final arbiter. We can make suggestions and y talk stuff out, but the final decision is theirs.

I’m not trying to imply we never get short rests. We just can’t count on getting them as frequently as the designers seem to expect.

I don't like the idea of 1 hour "short" rests either.

Have been doing short rest = 5 minutes BUT you can only take 2 between long rests for a long time now.

Works great for my group.

My thoughts on the document so far:
Weapons
-Weapon Mastery is certainly a great thing that I hope they really do carry on to the actual launch.
-That being said, I do find it odd that Push doesn't have a saving throw while Topple doesn't
-Nick allows some flexibility for certain two-weapon users that need bonus actions for other things. It's probably going to be something Rangers get.
-Vex is good for one on one combat, suitable for dueling
Spells
-The Pact Weapon spell makes Hexblade less of a must-have patron
-Pact Familiar solves one of the biggest problems I had with just plain familiar, in that I really wanted Warlocks to get an aberration familiar
-The spell mod spells for Wizard are useful more of "I didn't prepare things properly today, lets start again".
-Scribe Spell is an example of a class feature becoming a spell now.
-Sorcerous Burst is weak at lower levels, but way better at higher levels, since the conditions of rolling a 6 increase with more dice. But I feel it's a gamble when your better off using Firebolt or Ray of Frost most of the time.
Feats
-I like the energy redirection with Epic Boon of Energy Resistance
-Epic Boon of the Night Spirit, is quite suitable for a character concept but might be quite niche. I think we should have more niche Epic Boon feats.
-Epic Boon of Irresistible Offense is basically an improved critical feat now.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
My thoughts on the document so far:
Weapons
-Weapon Mastery is certainly a great thing that I hope they really do carry on to the actual launch.
-That being said, I do find it odd that Push doesn't have a saving throw while Topple doesn't
-Nick allows some flexibility for certain two-weapon users that need bonus actions for other things. It's probably going to be something Rangers get.
-Vex is good for one on one combat, suitable for dueling
Spells
-The Pact Weapon spell makes Hexblade less of a must-have patron
-Pact Familiar solves one of the biggest problems I had with just plain familiar, in that I really wanted Warlocks to get an aberration familiar
-The spell mod spells for Wizard are useful more of "I didn't prepare things properly today, lets start again".
-Scribe Spell is an example of a class feature becoming a spell now.
-Sorcerous Burst is weak at lower levels, but way better at higher levels, since the conditions of rolling a 6 increase with more dice. But I feel it's a gamble when your better off using Firebolt or Ray of Frost most of the time.
Feats
-I like the energy redirection with Epic Boon of Energy Resistance
-Epic Boon of the Night Spirit, is quite suitable for a character concept but might be quite niche. I think we should have more niche Epic Boon feats.
-Epic Boon of Irresistible Offense is basically an improved critical feat now.
They should have gone further with the fighter and barb and gave them two maneuvers from battlemaster.

Remove ads

Remove ads