• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New player.

Conker

First Post
I figured I would actually post in the right section this time (sorry for earlier mispost)

I am new to Dnd. (well actuall dnd) I've played a naruto world a few times. I choose an Eladrin race and bard class. Is that any good? My parner is a tiefling warlock and im unsure of my other. The tiefling warlock is chaotic evil, Im neutral, and my other partner is neutral. Are their any tips I should know. I fear one or both of them might turn on me. Any tips for dnd would help.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
I figured I would actually post in the right section this time (sorry for earlier mispost)

I am new to Dnd. (well actuall dnd) I've played a naruto world a few times. I choose an Eladrin race and bard class. Is that any good? My parner is a tiefling warlock and im unsure of my other. The tiefling warlock is chaotic evil, Im neutral, and my other partner is neutral. Are their any tips I should know. I fear one or both of them might turn on me. Any tips for dnd would help.
Welcome aboard, Conker!

Hate to tell ya this, but you may still be in the wrong forum. :D This one is aimed at "House Rules", e.g., experienced players who are modifying the D&D rules to fit something else - such as, allowing gunpowder, or changing the way magic works, or adding a critical hits chart, or whatever. The General 4e Discussion forum is, well, where I linked to.

That said, you've found a great game, one I've been playing in many incarnations for something like 25 years now.

Eladrin is a perfectly good race. The Bard is an interesting class: in general, the Leader classes require a bit more tactical sophistication than the other classes. (A Fighter, for example, can just go stand in the enemy's way, and a Barbarian can just go pound on things .. the Bard has to think through the best way to help out.) Once you've got the hang of it, though, you can be very effective.

My current party has a Tiefling Warlock who has been playing herself as "tending towards dark", rather than overtly Chaotic Evil. We've had all sorts of good fun with it: my character is a bit of a goody-two-shoes, so I figured the explanation for why they were sticking together was that he'd started falling in love with her. That's led to a very entertaining development where she's started trending more towards "good", while my guy has started having morally questionable actions, and trending more towards "evil".

However, how that plays out is really going to depend on the players involved: for the most part, D&D works best as a cooperative game, where the players work together to overcome obstacles with the DM playing "the opposition", whomever that is. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy playing a game where I had to watch my back against my "friends". You might talk it over with the players in question and/or the DM, just to make sure your expectations (and the CE player's) are in line.

"Evil", the way I'd prefer to play, might express how the character gets along with the world in general - does he save the villagers, steal from the villagers, or slaughter the villagers? - but playing in a party requires some sacrifices: you don't always get to do exactly what you want, and if the game is going to be Player-vs-Player, that ought to be explicit from the get-go. Its certainly possible to allow an "Evil" character to have inexplicable friendships, feelings, love interests, what have you.

To put it in Naruto terms:
[sblock]Think, Naruto and Sasuke, when they were on the same team, acting as friendly rivals, etc ... thats the "party" version. Naruto vs Sasuke at the waterfall, that's the "player vs player" version; at that point, I'd rather see the "party" have been the five who set out in pursuit of Sasuke, rather than having one of the players playing Sasuke through all of that .. because, as we see in Shippuden, they cease being on the same side entirely.[/sblock]

That's going to be especially important because, as a Leader, your primary role is to heal your friends, make them stronger, give them attacks, etc ... you're hardly going to want to do that if the Warlock is trying to slit your throat!

It is important to ask what the third character is - between you, you have an Arcane Leader and an Arcane Striker .. I'd really hope that the third character is a Defender, somebody who can tank up in the front line and stop people at melee range!

If it isn't, you may find yourself needing to fill that role a bit: picking up extra armor, focusing on Melee attacks instead of ranged spells, and making sure you have enough Strength to hit monsters.

DMINGW00TISAWSOME

First Post
Personally, I wouldn't enjoy playing a game where I had to watch my back against my "friends". You might talk it over with the players in question and/or the DM, just to make sure your expectations (and the CE player's) are in line.

If the other party members are also new to D&D, I would suggest skipping this and first making sure that Chaotic Evil (which I usually describe using an OOTS quote as "someone who would blow up the world just for giggles") is exactly how they want to roleplay thier character. It also states in the DMG that it is entirely within the DM's (or GM's, depending on your prefence) rights to say "I don't want any evil characters in my campaign".

Remove ads