New players only at level 1?

tvknight415

Explorer
I'd recommend fighter or barbarian if the player doesn't have a burning desire to start out as a spellcaster. The combat rules are the most used of the game, and it's a good first step (I did this with my nephew with ranger and he's rocking).

If a spellcaster, I'd want them to play a character that doesn't have to prepare spells in advance (sorcerer, bard, etc.) so they don't have to rely on a lot of careful planning.

Don't be afraid to stop the combat and explain what is happening and how the rules are working. Also, if the player is new but their character is 8th level, if they are about to do something foolish, ask them if they really want to do that, and explain the ramifications (so the party doesn't get nuked by a fireball, etc.).

Eric

Michael Morris

First Post
DaveyJones said:
why does it have to be hazing though?

if i had fun playing lvl 1 thru whatever. then why would i want to rob the new player of that fun too?

not every group hazes.
Playing a 1st level character with 1st - 3rd level comrades != 1st level character among 7th - 9th level comrades. If the new player absolutely must play 1st level then put the current group on hold and have the other players roll up 1st level characters too. The important part is that the newcomer doesn't feel like a fifth wheel.

Shadrach_Storm

First Post
I have to agree with Morris. I would encourage you not to start the new player at a significantly lower level than the rest of the party (meaning not more than 2 levels lower). Starting the player 1 level lower seems like a common practice, and I don't see anything wrong with starting the player at the same level as everyone else. I have been in parties where a player was started at a lower level, and I constantly felt bad for that player because he needed a natural 20 to hit when I only needed a 13. The rest of the party was cutting through things he could not even begin to hurt. A new player may start off just being glad to be there, but eventually he'll begin to feel like he isn't really doing anything and isn't of any value to the party. Actually playing in the game is a lot more fun than sitting on the bench. It can be fun to work your way up from 1st level, but not so much if you don't feel like you are contributing or earning your way up yourself.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
If I was told that I could have fun with my L1 PC in a L8 group for the next couple months by managing the mules, or holding a torch, or being 10' pole lad, just get out of the way when the real action starts, I'd take that as a sign that new players aren't wanted. "Wow this D&D game is great! I don't actually get to do much beyond what I'm told to do, and shine that torch so the heroes can fight evil, but man this is what I heard fantasy gaming was about! Sure the other players slew that dragon, but man I managed the heck out of that mule!". ;)

I start new PC's at ave party level -1. Always have, always will. If there are a lot of new players its best just to start a new campaign.

diaglo

Adventurer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
If I was told that I could have fun with my L1 PC in a L8 group for the next couple months by managing the mules, or holding a torch, or being 10' pole lad, just get out of the way when the real action starts, I'd take that as a sign that new players aren't wanted. "Wow this D&D game is great! I don't actually get to do much beyond what I'm told to do, and shine that torch so the heroes can fight evil, but man this is what I heard fantasy gaming was about! Sure the other players slew that dragon, but man I managed the heck out of that mule!". ;).
if that was the way the game was played i'd agree with you.

but that's never been the case for me. so i'll have to say i don't know what it's like in other people's games other than to read or listen to them.

Ibram

First Post
I'd never start a character off at a significatly lower level. As has been pointed out above, there is little that a first level character can do to help a much higher level character (aside from getting 'pwnd').

If someone new to the game joined the group then I'd help them build a character, and the players in my current group would gladly assist the player until s/he became used to the game.

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
How regularly do you game? If it's once per week or more, you could have 'em sit in on a couple of sessions and answer any of their questions while you're at it.

Never tried that, just an idea.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I would pause your current campaign for a couple sessions. Have everyone roll up new level one characters. Then run a small adventure. After that, you have the newbie roll up a higher level character to join the main party.

I think that having the introductory adventure allows the new person to get used to basic ideas in the game. It's also a bit of break for the rest of the group, and can allow then to try something completely new. You can also use this to see if the player is a good fit for your game, without affecting your existing campaign.

When I did this, I purchased a pre-made adventure and ran it (A Lion in the Ropes, IIRC). It was a good deal of fun, because I usually don't run pre-made adventures, and it was a good opportunity for me to try that out, and see what what works and what doesn't.

DarkJester

First Post
Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

We don't get to play much anymore, my school and work schedules have been pretty packed this year so I really rather not have everyone create new characters and waste one of our precious sessions. Besides, 3/4's of my players despise creating new characters.

Any more advice as to make sure we don't overwhelm the poor sap if and when we start him at level 8.

Kelleris

Explorer
You might try running him through a short e-mail exchange or an instant-messenger conversation. Make it nice and informal, just so he can feel out how his character plays before he dives in with the whole group, and you wouldn't have to set aside a whole session if you can just find a couple of hours in the evening or something. Alternatively, there are a number of well-regarded "electronic tabletops" you might try, though I don't really know any more about them than that.

Remove ads