New players only at level 1?

DarkJester

First Post
Kelleris said:
You might try running him through a short e-mail exchange or an instant-messenger conversation. Make it nice and informal, just so he can feel out how his character plays before he dives in with the whole group, and you wouldn't have to set aside a whole session if you can just find a couple of hours in the evening or something. Alternatively, there are a number of well-regarded "electronic tabletops" you might try, though I don't really know any more about them than that.

I actually considered this, but he, like all but one other member of the group, lacks internet access.

Voadam

Legend
DarkJester said:
Has anyone had any luck introducing someone who has never played D&D before into the game in a higher level party? My group is around 8th level and the friend of two of the members of the group has expressed interest in playing. I'm sure people have done this before, I simply haven't dealt with this. Any advice?

My first AD&D game I was handed a premade thief as a character. 5th level? 8th Level? Somewhere around there. And I came in in the middle of a fight. It went fine.

Either pre-make a character for them to try out or walk them through a quick and simple character creation based on the descriptive concept they come up with (a swordsman like Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride, Tim the sorcerer from Holy grail, etc.). Have them focus on getting into character and deciding what the character will do as opposed to mostly game mechanics.

Remove ads