• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Prestige Class: Sorcerer of Light (Yea I know its not the best name)

Merlion

First Post
Divine spellcasters and Paladins arent the only ones who choose to devote themselves to a cause. Some Mages feel compelled to use their great powers in the service of Good, and they seek out powerful celestials to teach them the secrets of holy power. These mages become Sorcerers of Light.

Requirements:

Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks

Feats: Iron Will, Spell Focus (Conjuration)

Spells: Ability to cast 4th level Arcane spells, including protection from evil, magic circle against evil and at least one summon spell.

Alignment: Any good

Special: Must make peaceful contact with an Outsider of the Good subtype

BAB, Saves, Skills, Hit Die:As Wizard

Spellcasting: Levels 2, 3 and 4 advance spellcasting. Levels 1 and 5 do not.

Aura of Good: As a Paladin.

1st level: Holy Magic: At First level, the Sorcerer of Light gains access to the following spells:

1st level: Detect Evil

2nd level: Align Weapon (Good only)

3rd level: Searing Light

4th level: Holy Smite

5th level: Dispel Evil, Hallow

6th level:

7th level: Holy Word

8th level: Holy Aura

9th level:

The Sorcerer of Light must learn/prepare/cast these spells as normal. They are considered Arcane spells for him. Additionally, any spell he casts against an evil being recieves a +1 sacred bonus to saving throw DC.

2nd level: Agents of Light: At 2nd level, the Sorcerer of Light is treated as having the Augment Summoning feat whenever he summons a good-aligned being.

3rd level: Sacred Aura: At 3rd level, the Sorcerer of Light gains a +2 sacred bonus to armor class and saving throws against the attacks of evil beings. He is perptually surrounded by a white light that cannot be extinguished. Because of this, he does not recieve the benefit of concealment due to darkness, fog or similiar obstructions. Illusion-based concealment, such as a Blur spell, functions normally.

4th level: Dispel Evil: at 4th level, the Sorcerer of Light recieves a +2 sacred bonus to dispel checks against evil spells or spells cast by evil beings, and a +2 Sacred bonus to caster level checks to overcome the Spell resistance of evil beings.

5th level: Master of Light: At 5th level, the Sorcerer of Light transends their mortal form and becomes a magical being. His type changes to Outsider (Native), and he gains Damage reduction 5/evil

The abilities are pretty powerful some of em...but your taking 2 lousy feats, and losing 2 caster levels for them. Tell me what you think.

the Jester

Legend
Hmm, pretty good.

A question: when the sorcerer of the light gains access to spells, does that mean (for instance) if he's a sorcerer they all add to his list of spells known? That's a huge benefit, if so.

A comment: I'd change the name of the dispel evil ability since there's a spell of that name with significantly different effects.

Merlion

First Post
A question: when the sorcerer of the light gains access to spells, does that mean (for instance) if he's a sorcerer they all add to his list of spells known? That's a huge benefit, if so.

No, he doesnt. It basically adds the spells to the characters class spell list.

A comment: I'd change the name of the dispel evil ability since there's a spell of that name with significantly different effects.

Suggestions? :)

Merlion

First Post
That could work. Honestly, names dont worry me much...since a PC or whoever can call their class features or whatever else whatever they want to anyway.

Turanil

First Post
Merlion said:
No, he doesnt. It basically adds the spells to the characters class spell list.
Yet this is what I would do: give them these spells as a sort of domain, so they get them as bonus spell known. Like this I think the class becomes something I would like to play. If not the loss of two spellcasting levels for me outweight all other class benefits. (Just my 2 cents of course).

Merlion

First Post
Yet this is what I would do: give them these spells as a sort of domain, so they get them as bonus spell known

I'd have no problem with this idea. I did it the way I did for a couple of reasons. One, because I've done things like this before, and done it as you suggest, and gotten people getting on me because it would be overpowered to let a sorcerer get anymore spells known yadda yadda.

Like this I think the class becomes something I would like to play. If not the loss of two spellcasting levels for me outweight all other class benefits

Lately I've seen a lot of complaining that prestige classes give to much while losing to little blah blah blah, so I tried to make this one a little more of a tradeof. You get some pretty powerful benefits, but you lose 2 caster levels, you have to take 2 crappyish feats, and the aura ability has some drawbacks.

Like I said, I'd see no problem with them as bonus spells known (of course for a wizard, thats not really a big difference).

Also I may eventually expand this class to 10 levels and add another few abilities and whatnot.

Remove ads