• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New products featuring Vistani will be?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
IIRC in 4th edition Vistani were described as a plane hopping culture, traveling around the planes...

Yep, just remembered, from Dragon 380. Plane hoping culture that welcome any travelers as part of their own. In the art, you add a dragonborn vistani and a tiefling vistani.

Really cool stuff. They were primarily traveling between the ''echoes'' of the world, so the Shadowfell and Feywild.

So 1 ''Vistani guide to the Shadowfell'' and 1 ''Vistani guide to the Feywild''. Then you can buy the special edition with both tomes in a cool slipcase and neat maps!

Weiley31

Legend
Traveler's guide to the Shadowfell:

In this book we follow a caravan of Vistani (which is now a Background you can pick, just like it was a template in 4e; any race could be Vistani, since they welcome any lost traveler in the Mist willing to learn their customs) through the Shadowfell, where the demi-planes/prisons are located. We see Gloomwrought and the Palace of memories of the Raven Queen and a brief overview of the different prisons of the darklords and tables for the Dark Power effects in the region.

We also receive nice tables to make the dark-mirror version of your cities on the prime material plane, with Neverwinter/Evernight as an example.

The second book is X guide to Innistrad, where we pick off where we left our fellow Vistanis and now we use the mist to visit this MTG plane, with expanded sanity rules, corrupted monster template etc
I love the idea of a "main character caravan" of travelers being the guides in a setting book idea and actually following them more than once.

Weiley31

Legend
Do the Vistani do a lot of plane hoping? I thought they were mostly restricted to the Plane of Dread, but could travel between the different domains.
If you live in the Plane of Dread for as long as the Vistani do, you probably pick up a thing or two in regards to traveling to places.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I kinda find the Vistani a bit boring. But I do like that they have some kind of ability to travel between worlds and cross world-barriers others cannot cross or barriers others would need nearly wish-level magic to cross. So, that opens up a lot of possibilities for using Vistani to introduce worlds separate from the prime material plane. I'd guess it's a planes related book. Which makes sense as a lot of playtest material over the past year has been planes related, and it's also a pretty obvious gap in the published books which is even bigger than the psionics gap.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My bet is that they’ll appear as a playable option (possibly a background) in an upcoming manual of the planes type book, which has been speculated to be coming for a while now. As for the second product to feature them, I’d love to see a proper Ravenloft/Demiplane of Dread campaign setting, but I’m a little skeptical. An Innistrad book would fit with the recent trend of MtG plane settings, but I think it would be an unusual choice to put the Vistani there since they aren’t a thing in the card game. It’s possible they just show up in whatever book has the race and class customization options.

Coroc

Hero
I kinda find the Vistani a bit boring. But I do like that they have some kind of ability to travel between worlds and cross world-barriers others cannot cross or barriers others would need nearly wish-level magic to cross. So, that opens up a lot of possibilities for using Vistani to introduce worlds separate from the prime material plane. I'd guess it's a planes related book. Which makes sense as a lot of playtest material over the past year has been planes related, and it's also a pretty obvious gap in the published books which is even bigger than the psionics gap.

I love the tarokka reading component when using them as NPCs. This is a special DM challenge for the to handle the course of the adventure so that miracoulosly the reading comes true, despite you did not resort to railroading or fudging.

Coroc

Hero
That would be awesome!

Yeah but mainly if they would put some more structure into it. Running the Hyskosa Hexad is a nightmare for inexperienced DMs, you got to mod about everything to make all fit together nicely, on the other hand some of the modules are among the best stuff ever published for D&D, concerning NPCs, ideas and fluff.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I love the tarokka reading component when using them as NPCs. This is a special DM challenge for the to handle the course of the adventure so that miracoulosly the reading comes true, despite you did not resort to railroading or fudging.

Oh right, I agree, that is part of what comes with them and that was a fun mechanic!

Remove ads