• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New rogue powers and Bo9S

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
I don't own the "Tome of Battle", I have however heard many times how the Tome is a preview for 4E in many respects. The question I thought should be raised is two fold.

Firstly do any of the preview powers in the ampersand article on the rogue have previews of them found in Bo9S and secondly seeing the type of powers that the rogue is getting would any of the powers presented in Bo9S seem to be rogue flavoured and thus possibly form some of his suite of powers available?

Just my quick thoughts: I am not hundred percent on memorisation of Bo9S so, in answer:
Bo9S is a preview not so much in the specific powers; although I am sure some will carry across. However it is a preview because it gives powers (called manoovers- no I can't spell it) to non spell casting classes. It is also a preview because it goes away from the powers (spells in core 3E) per day model to the per encounter (mvrs) and at will (stances) model.
Does this make sense?

shilsen

Adventurer
What mach1.9pants (hmm, someone I never thought I would type that) said. That said, there are some similar maneuvers in Bo9S. For example, Emerald Razor from the Diamond Mind discipline allows one to make an attack as a touch attack, or Sapphire Nightmare Blade (also Diamond Mind) allows one to make the target flatfooted vs. your attack.

JosephK

First Post
Yeah, dont think any of them are replicas of the Bo9S stuff.. But some of it is similar, like the "Crimson edge" ability, deals damage and gives you "combat advantage".. That's sorta like a maneuver from Bo9S (except from the ongoing damage thing).. A couple of those maneuvers would leave the target flat-foot for a round (seems similar). Also, the positioning strike from the ampersand article is like a mini version of some of the throws in Bo9S.. Where you can throw people for x feet, while dealing some amount of damage.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
As have been said, the powers listed for rogues are not translations of Tome of Battle powers. Piercing Strike is sort of similar to one of the ToB maneuvers, which allows you to make an attack as a touch attack, but thats where the similarities end, it seems. Tumble seems to be a 4e version of the Tumble skill, and in the sense of "teleportation," it is similar to a power in ToB, though the flavor and mechanics are vastly different.

I expect to see some similarities between sellect Tome of Battle powers and 4e powers, but I do not thing that is what they meant by "previews."

Gloombunny

First Post
There are three classes in Bo9S, and they're basically a new version of fighter, a new version of paladin, and a kind of monk/gish thing. So there aren't many rogue-themed maneuvers, because they weren't trying to provide options for a rogue-themed character. The "Shadow Hand" discipline, for the monk/gish class, has a few rogue-like powers mixed in with some shadow-magic stuff, but none of them are quite like the rogue powers listed in the Ampersand article. (There's one that's basically a once-per-encounter massive sneak attack, one that lets you attack from hiding while remaining hidden, and a stance that lets you flank from any adjacent square... maybe some others I'm not recalling.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads