New Saga Edition GM: What problems should I be aware of?

Sarkadark

First Post
Let me start by saying this: I probably don't know as much about this system as most people who set out to GM it, or as much about RPGs in general. I've played the system before, but not enough to learn all of its quirks. I was wondering if anyone had any protips about the system and its weaknesses; any help would be very much appreciated.

delericho

Legend
The two key areas I'm aware of are the Condition Track and Skill Focus: Use the Force.

The issue with the Condition Track is that there are a handful of builds that can routinely make attacks that drop targets three or four steps down the track. Since this bypasses hit points, it allows them to take down far more powerful foes far more quickly than they should.

My suggested fix for this is to be very strict about allowing stacking of such effects. Basically, unless an effect states that it moves a target an additional step down the track, it doesn't stack, and don't allow multiple such effects to be applied at once. Even that may not solve the problem. (And others may well have better solutions to offer.)

Skill Focus: Use the Force is primarily a problem at low levels. Basically, it gives the Jedi +5 with all his skills, which far outstrips any 'balanced' opponent's defences.

My first attempt to fix this would probably be to remove both Force Training and Skill Focus from the list of bonus feats from any and all classes. This means that for the Jedi to get SF:UTF, he's had to sacrifice an FT feat (the other vastly useful feat for Force users).

If that didn't work, then my second attempt at a fix would be to put a prerequisite of level 9 on the Skill Focus: Use the Force feat.

Other than that, I think the only thing to really worry about is that SWSE is generally a much 'lighter' d20 game. As such, it hasn't had the same depth of playtesting (and errata) as either 3e or 4e. So if a player really wants to break it, they probably can. But your best bet for dealing with that is probably just to be open with, and cooperate with, your players - after all, they don't really benefit if they break your game either!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Defenses of heroic class characters (all of the PCs, most named NPCs) grow pretty quickly since they're based on character level. Single-class Jedi and Soldier base attack bonuses keep up with that rate, but everyone else starts to fall behind. At higher levels, that can make scoundrels and scouts (and multiclass characters of all stripes) frustrated with BBEG fights.
Overall, I don't have much of a problem with high defenses, particularly among lower level characters, because blasters do a lot of damage for a d20 game's regular attacks. Just remember that disparities will grow as characters level-up.

Consider using the Jedi's base attack bonus for any attacks involving force powers instead of his Use the Force skill. His attack value probably comes closer to matching similar level opponent defenses than his skill check and you get to partly sidestep the issue of Skill Focus: Use the Force driving attacks that are too good at low levels.

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
My fix for skill focus was to let the character add his level instead of half his level to the skill. This means it equals a +5 at 10th level. The other thing I would look out for are the telekinetic force powers which can get powerful.

Sarkadark

First Post
Thanks, guys. I don't think the Condition Track will be a problem with my players, who are all new to the system and building from a narrative-first standpoint, but I'll have to talk to one of them about the Force issue.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks, guys. I don't think the Condition Track will be a problem with my players, who are all new to the system and building from a narrative-first standpoint, but I'll have to talk to one of them about the Force issue.

Also armor in SWSE requires a character to use the armor's Reflex bonus. Once your party is 6th level most of the characters will actually be suffering from wearing armor. This matters if they need to wear vacuum suits, undersea suits, hazmat suits, or whatever armor type they need to access a hostile area. House-ruling characters to choose to use either their REflex or the armor's Reflex bonus is a reasonable fix. Just keep in mind that this makes the soldier's Ardmored Defense feat redundant.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Also armor in SWSE requires a character to use the armor's Reflex bonus. Once your party is 6th level most of the characters will actually be suffering from wearing armor. This matters if they need to wear vacuum suits, undersea suits, hazmat suits, or whatever armor type they need to access a hostile area. House-ruling characters to choose to use either their REflex or the armor's Reflex bonus is a reasonable fix. Just keep in mind that this makes the soldier's Ardmored Defense feat redundant.

I'm not sure this is a necessary change. Main characters wearing armor is kind of out-of-style for Star Wars.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm not sure this is a necessary change. Main characters wearing armor is kind of out-of-style for Star Wars.

Remember that scene where Hans, Leia, and Luke are exploring the inside of that giant space worm in the meteor? They're wearing some kind of environmental filter suit, right?

Remove ads