• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Server Drive - donation and prize thread (Final total: $13,310!)

wheeljack

Explorer
Donation sent and community supporter account purchased.
This lurker doesn't want to lose an invaluable resource like EnWorld and hope this only makes it better!

Let's not de-rail this thread with a technical discussion, but I'm sure I and Simon and Psionicist and other ENWorlders with an IT background would be happy to work with you guys on this. Maybe we could start another thread where all of us experts and can argue with each other and provide lots of conflicting advice. :D

Psionicist

Explorer
Simon Collins said:
Just a quick question on the server?

I work in IT myself and was wondering if the two server solution being talked about was a clustered solution? If so, it would be far cheaper to buy a second processor, extra RAM, and some other redundancy features, if speed and reliability are the issue, but I'm sure Adlon knows that already.

If you want, I'd be glad to run any proposed solution past the high-level server techies where I work - free IT consultancy as well as my soon-to-be donation!

Cheers

Simon Collins

Load balancing perhaps? Two servers serving half the requests each. Practically 100% faster than one server! :) This probably demands one additional computer/router to route the requests though. Probably overkill at the moment.

Edit: Rodrigo Istalindir: Whoops, sorry. :D

Last edited:

Guardsmith

First Post
The check in is the mail ...

... well not yet, but it will be tonight. :cool:

I'm happy to be able to donate to such a quality site.

Good luck guys. :)

Dan Highlands
Quincy, Massachusetts

EricNoah

Adventurer
As the guy who collected the PayPal donations last year, I can tell you that while we did have some HUGE individual donations, the bulk of the donations were in the $5-20 range. A $5 or $10 donation is a tremendous help and we appreciate it!

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
And another voice to the chorus -- another $30 paypal donation.

Keep the money flowing, and lets get the monther of all servers.

But, really, what are you going to NAME the new server?

Remove ads