New Spell: Abyssal Balefire

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Goddess FallenAngel said:
Right now, it caps at 20th. Were it to cap at 16th, the max damage would be: 8d6+6d6+4d6+2d6=20d6. The damage at lower levels would be unaffected.

Yes, and I think that 20d6 isn't bad for a 5th level spell.

I just realized that, as an anti-caster tool, it's awesome -- the damage is CONTINUING damage! The Concentration check is going to be out of control for the first few rounds... yeah, I think that 20d6 Continuing damage is just fine for a 5th level spell.

Remember, 4th level has the lovely and talented "Ice Storm" which deals a whopping 5d6 Continuing damage. Your spell does Fire damage, so it should be significantly more. 8d6 -> 6d6 -> 4d6 -> 2d6 seems right to me.

-- N

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Nifft said:
Remember that Melf's Acid Arrow will deal a total of 14d4 Acid damage with no save at 18th level, so 30d6 from a 5th level spell isn't out of line.

2nd level spell's suggested cap is 10d6 IIRC, with 35 points average. 14d4 averages to 35 points, so it is spot on. Melf's is also a single target spell that requires a ranged touch attack, and so the lack of saving throw is understandable. But hey, you know all this!

A 60 foot cone is a pretty big area, akin to Cone of Cold. A more limited area might balance a higher maximum damage... as it is, I think the save every round is a good idea.

Remove ads