• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW SPELL: Bimpnotten Breakthing's Abdominal Destruction

One of my players is a regular gym goer and she HATES sit-ups and abdominal crunches. In my game she playes a chaotic neutral gnomish druid/illusionist/rogue trickster (heading for a special custom prestige class we're designing) named "Bimpnotten Breakthing" - "Bimp" for short. Think of a precocious, michevious, naughty ten year old girl with the ability cast Entangle and Colour Spray... <shudders>

In a moment of whimsy she worked out this spell for Bimp to research. Then we started to realise that it would be really fun to have as a spell in the campaign - it fits Bimp's persona SO well.

I'm not sure whether it should be second or third level. Note that Hold Person is a third level soc/wiz spell.

Comments please...

BIMPNOTTEN BREAKTHING'S ABDOMINAL DESTRUCTION
(a.k.a. "Bimp's Barbaric Abs of Pain")

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Short
Target: One humanoid of Medium-size or smaller
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates, Fort special (see below)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The target must make a Will save or instantly fall prone and start doing sit-ups as fast as she can. The immense pain of doing this barbaric exercise means that the target must make a Fortitude save each round or suffer 1d6 points of subdual damage. The target can't move or use a shield and is denied her Dex bonus. However the target can talk, attack with one handed weapons (at a -4 penalty) or cast spells (if she makes a Concentration check as if casting defensively). The target continues to do sit-ups even if she falls unconscious but, as she is no longer in pain, she ceases to suffer damage. An unconscious character who is still doing sit-ups is not helpless for the purposes of coups de grace (though opponents get bonuses to hit as if they were invisible and the target was unaware of them).

Last edited:

Al

First Post
Seems fine. Weaker than Hold Person, arguably stronger than Tasha's but then Tasha's always was a bit pathetic.

How's this?

BIMPNOTTEN BREAKTHING'S ABDOMINAL DESTRUCTION
(a.k.a. "Bimp's Barbaric Abs of Pain")

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]

Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid of Medium-size or smaller
Saving Throw: Will negates, Fort special (see text)

The target must make a Will save or instantly fall prone and start doing sit-ups as fast as she can. The immense pain of doing this barbaric exercise means that the target must make a Fortitude save each round or suffer 1d6 points of subdual damage. The target can't move or use any shield except a buckler but can talk (pant, whinge, complain, etc...), attack with one handed weapons (at a -2 penalty in addition to the normal adjustments for attacking while prone) or cast spells (if she makes a Concentration check as if casting defensively). The target continues to do sit-ups even if she falls unconscious but, as she is no longer in pain, she ceases to suffer subdual damage from the sit-ups. An unconscious character who is still doing sit-ups is not subject to coups de grace (because she is moving too much to get in that perfect hit) but is otherwise considered helpless (because she is moving in a predictable manner).

Last edited:

Magus_Jerel

First Post
better idea - if you are willing to bump this up a couple levels

Have the spell induce a false nausea as per the DMG description - pg 85

New Text:
Illusion (Phantasm)

Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid of large-size or smaller
Saving Throw: Will negates, Fort special (see text)

The subject feels as if they have jus finished performing 10 million sit-ups - and believe they are having intense abdominal pains. They are considered nauseated. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a charater can take is a single move (or MEA) per turn.

Now - this is presuming the intent of the research is to make the opponent feel the pain - not do the excercise.

Otherwise - I honestly do feel an already existing spell would fit the purpose this spell intends.

I suggest you start doing 300 situps right now... :)

Privateer

First Post
I don't think Magus's is balanced; it's underbalanced. Stinking cloud nauseates, and doesn't it have a lower spell level?

Otherwise... weird spell. That's all I can say.

In other words, I'm using it :D

JDRay

First Post
A saving throw each round, or 1d6 of subdual damage? What's the DC? Just how many sit-ups can you do in six seconds?

Consider that the average gamer is probably a second level commoner with a really bad CON. What's he got, maybe six hit points? If he only makes a FORT save two out of three rounds on average, then he could only do sit ups for eighteen seconds without having a major chance of passing out. At approximately two sit ups in three seconds, that's twelve sit ups in three rounds at which point you've got a 66% chance of passing out.

That's it. I'm cutting back to three slices of pizza and half a jar of nacho dip tomorrow night.... We're all out of shape!!!

Magus_Jerel

First Post
I don't think Magus's is balanced; it's underbalanced. Stinking cloud nauseates, and doesn't it have a lower spell level?

Yikes - did not realize that...
in said case... yeah

sor/wiz 2 is the right level not sor/wiz 4

JDRay said:
A saving throw each round, or 1d6 of subdual damage? What's the DC? Just how many sit-ups can you do in six seconds?

Consider that the average gamer is probably a second level commoner with a really bad CON. What's he got, maybe six hit points? If he only makes a FORT save two out of three rounds on average, then he could only do sit ups for eighteen seconds without having a major chance of passing out. At approximately two sit ups in three seconds, that's twelve sit ups in three rounds at which point you've got a 66% chance of passing out.

That's it. I'm cutting back to three slices of pizza and half a jar of nacho dip tomorrow night.... We're all out of shape!!!

Well, the spell does say the target is compelled to do the situps "as fast as she can".... :)

The DC will be the normal DC for a spell of that level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads