• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Spell for Evaluation - Help Please?

Malin Genie

First Post
Analyse

Level: Sor/Wiz X
Range: Close
Target: One object
Deration: One round / level (?)
Components: V, S, F

This spell provides enhanced understanding of the material construction, form, function and workings of an object. When cast, it provides a bonus to certain skill checks made by the caster in relation to the target object, as described below.

Cast on a lock it provides a bonus to Open Lock skill. Cast on a mechanical device it provides a bonus to Disable Device checks. Cast on a valuable object it provides a bonus to Appraise checks, and cast on a piece of writing it provides a bonus to Decipher Script checks. It may also aid in other skill checks in particular circumstances where magically enhanced insight would be useful (like Use Rope to untangle a complicated knot without cutting it, for example) at the DM's discretion.

The focus is a glass lens of at least 10 gp value.

So, my questions, for the expert consideration of ENWorlders:

What level? I was thinking probably Level 1 - it is versatile but doesn't do anything by itself, only providing a bonus to a skill check. If the bonus is smaller (+2?) I wonder if it may be reasonable as a Level 0 spell.

What bonus? Maybe a flat bonus, +4 or +5 (or +2 as a cantrip)? Maybe +1 per caster level (to a certain maximum) or +1 per 2 caster levels (smiilarly limited)?

What duration? It only works on one object, but should it last 1 round, only allowing one skill check; several rounds, allowing several checks (if the skill allows retries) but not allowing Take 20; or =>20 rounds, allowing Take 20 (for those skills that allow it, obviously.)

Quickleaf

Legend
Lasting 1 round, limited to one object at close range with a flat bonus of +4, yeah I would say that sounds like a level 1 spell.

Increasing the duration, having the skill bonus increase according to level, and making it more of an area scan ability (allowing different objects to be scanned each round) might push it into the realm of a level 3 spell.

I can see the skill bonus applying to open lock, disable device, appraise, and even use magic object, but definitely not decipher script (which is the province of the comprehend languages spell...arguably overpowered already).

This is a rogues' spell, to be sure! Perhaps it is taught to elite sorcerer-thieves at the thieves' guild, and was originally developed to aid treasure hunters who couldn't afford (or had no knowledge of) more powerful spells like legend lore, etc.

Remove ads