• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Star Trek RPG

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Me too :)

I'd love to read how does it works in actual play, I mean, how the rules work in a real gaming session...

Dan Stack

First Post
I was a playtester, so I have some experience as to how the game actually plays. Overall it runs very well. Rather than repeat all my opinions here, I posted a fairly lengthy review at http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3992. (Note - the NDA I signed prohibits me from discussing the design process such as what changed, dropped ideas, etc. so this review is of the finished product, not playtest versions.)

For a quick summary... A lot of people compare it with the d20 system. There are obviously some similarities - professions/classes, reactions/saving throws, advancements/levels. But if it must be compared with d20, then I would say it takes what most people like in d20 and removes what most people dislike - for example when you "advance" in the new Star Trek game, your reactions, combat skills, etc. don't automatically go up - you choose what you want to improve. It'd be like advancing a level in D&D and choosing what to improve, including skills, feats, hit points, magic use, class abilities, attack rolls, etc. (Note - I've no anti-d20 bias - indeed I run a fairly regular d20 Star Wars game when we aren't playing Star Trek).

Last edited:

enrious

Couple of things to note about Dan Stack:

1) So far I'm agreeing with his review.

2) Having been an irregular poster/reader over at the TrekRPG boards, I think he's one of the fairest critics or reviewers.

3) Back when 3rd edition came out, he was one of the people who pointed out my anti-TSR/WotC misconceptions and pointed out just how good 3e is, so in a way he's responsible for me playing 3e now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads