New "Stranger Things" D&D Starter Set Announced

That's really freaking cool! Thanks heaps for sharing, bro.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
For the growth of the hobby having a new starter set that ties into a cultural phenomena is excellent. Since the Starter Set is in places like Target this could really help people get their introduction to D&D.

Other licenses that make sense would also cost a lot more.

I expect the next starter set to relate to whatever movie winds up actually made under the D&D umbrella.

Satyrn

First Post
I admit this time I am really surprised. I couldn't expect something like this.

I totally expected this.

The forum keeps talking about how WotC's goal with 5e is for it to be an evergreen product, like Clue and Monopoly. Like Monopoly has Catopoly and Harry Potteropoly, The Starter Set seems the perfect D&D product to do the same thing with.

Vexorg

Explorer
Weird that they didn't put an aspect of the real Demogorgon, the two-headed demon prince, who was the real villain of Mikes adventure. They used petalhead instead. Still, it will likely attract new players, so I'm all for it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Weird that they didn't put an aspect of the real Demogorgon, the two-headed demon prince, who was the real villain of Mikes adventure. They used petalhead instead. Still, it will likely attract new players, so I'm all for it.

This could be why there are two Demogorgon minis?

Wait a moment! I am thinking. If this an agreement between WotC and Netflix... why not to think this is the first step? Maybe we will see Hasbro toys about some Netflix franchise, or cartoon videogames about some Hasbro's toy, for example a reboot for young adults of "Inhumanoids".

I would dare to say more things. Maybe WotC has plans with RPGs about some IP from speculative fiction, not only fantasy, but this would need a d20 Modern 2.0. and WotC is working about that.

80's style dice? Does this mean they are cheap plastic and uninked? Do they look like lame chewy candies? Does a crayon come in the box so you can fill the number indentations with wax so you can read the dice from more than 3 feet away? That's what I consider 80's style dice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wait a moment! I am thinking. If this an agreement between WotC and Netflix... why not to think this is the first step? Maybe we will see Hasbro toys about some Netflix franchise, or cartoon videogames about some Hasbro's toy, for example a reboot for young adults of "Inhumanoids".

I would dare to say more things. Maybe WotC has plans with RPGs about some IP from speculative fiction, not only fantasy, but this would need a d20 Modern 2.0. and WotC is working about that.

Dude. Stranger Things have happened. A new cartoon would be boss.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
More from the product description:

The stranger things Dungeons & dragons starter set contains everything players need to embark on a stranger things adventure including the essential rules of the roleplaying game. It's a great way for new as well as seasoned dungeon & dragons players to experience the D&D adventure stranger things character Mike Wheeler has created for his friends. Pick your character -- will you be will the wise or Dustin the dwarf? Get your fireballs ready as you investigate the mysterious castle and battle The ferocious Demogorgon. Prepare for just about anything, because the game just Got stranger.

So the pregens sound like they are the PC's the movie characters were playing. Sounds like fun.

The dice look like the same starter set dice, and it looks like it is two mini's of petalhead (one is unpainted), not one of Demogorgan.

Last edited by a moderator:

storm_wolf

First Post
Interesting that it is being sold by Hasbro and not WOTC. There was a Demogorgon that was the smaller/near original size that was a FLGS bonus mini if you purchased the classic creatures set they did a while back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads