• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New System Deal Breakers

Pentius

First Post
I do seem to recall seeing this, although it required a new character (who was able to select magic items precisely) with the chance involved in a 4d6 drop one random stat system. I also saw it with melee characters, which might make a difference.

But it was certainly possible for it to happen. You can work around it in a variety of ways . . . But a naive use of the system could make it occur.

Between two members of the same class, though? And presumably at least near each other in level? That's a serious gap, the more I think about it, the more curious I get as to how that actually happened.

Votan

Explorer
Between two members of the same class, though? And presumably at least near each other in level? That's a serious gap, the more I think about it, the more curious I get as to how that actually happened.

IIRC, it required a fairly large Dex gap and the use of the combat expertise feat. I can't swear to 10 points but it must have been close. I am also sure that a magic spiked chain would have been hard to obtain without a newly generated character.

There was definitely a strength gap as well; 3.5 was poorly designed for random attribute rolls.

On the other hand, those were actual Fighters. I don't immediately see how to do the same with a rogue.

Pentius

First Post
IIRC, it required a fairly large Dex gap and the use of the combat expertise feat. I can't swear to 10 points but it must have been close. I am also sure that a magic spiked chain would have been hard to obtain without a newly generated character.

There was definitely a strength gap as well; 3.5 was poorly designed for random attribute rolls.

On the other hand, those were actual Fighters. I don't immediately see how to do the same with a rogue.

The quote was in relation to 4e, though. I've been mulling it over, and I think it'd have to be some combination of a Dex gap, a magic armor quality gap, and one character taking multiple defensive feats(hide armor proficiency, shield proficiency, maybe another I'm not remembering). But the Dex and armor gap would be most of it, which would mean heavy disparities in those areas, which would be, well, weird.

Votan

Explorer
The quote was in relation to 4e, though. I've been mulling it over, and I think it'd have to be some combination of a Dex gap, a magic armor quality gap, and one character taking multiple defensive feats(hide armor proficiency, shield proficiency, maybe another I'm not remembering). But the Dex and armor gap would be most of it, which would mean heavy disparities in those areas, which would be, well, weird.

Ah, wrong system. :)

I agree that 10 points is larger than normally seen.

Osagasu

Villager
Systems that try desperately to cover every possibility. Of course, we all know about the horror of anal circumference (FATAL), but that's a very extreme example of the issue.

I mean, not only is covering every possibility time consuming to read, but the subsystems have a tendency to be complicated and hard to understand, time consuming to calculate, and generally useless because there's simply no way to do so.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads