D&D (2024) New take on inspiration:

Horwath

Legend
Instead of inspiration giving instant advantage/negating disadvantage, let's keep those two mechanics where they belong.

Instead, you get to roll a d6 after you see your d20 roll for attacks, saves or checks or to any your DCs for one usage(this is before rolling saves vs your effects)

you have a number of inspiration points equal to your proficiency bonus.

They recharge at long rest and you also regain one point when you critically hit or get critted.

Lucky feat:
your inspiration pool is 2×proficiency bonus.

Why d6? Because I hate d4.

Li Shenron

Legend
It sounds overpowered just like that, but it's not a bad idea.

At least I am already quite sick of advantage everywhere, and a straight bonus has a very different effect compared to advantage: it increases the limit of what DCs you can succeed at.

Something extra to consider: there are already a couple of similar effects in the game, e.g. Bardic Inspiration and Bless. Maybe having a third stacking dice would be a bit too much.

Horwath

Legend
It sounds overpowered just like that, but it's not a bad idea.

At least I am already quite sick of advantage everywhere, and a straight bonus has a very different effect compared to advantage: it increases the limit of what DCs you can succeed at.

Something extra to consider: there are already a couple of similar effects in the game, e.g. Bardic Inspiration and Bless. Maybe having a third stacking dice would be a bit too much.
Bless lasts one minute and it's on 3 targets minimum.
and it's concentration.

This could be said that it cannot be used together with bardic inspiration.
Bardic inspiration is still more versatile than this.

aco175

Legend
I would be more inclined to make it more cool and less uses per day. It should have the feel of changing a combat. I'm down on HP and need to kill the big bad before he kills me to save the day and roll like junk. The big bad suddenly rolls a crit. Last chance to sneak past the guards to get the keys to free the rest of the party. Things like this.

Not sure how this lines up with the new inspiration on rolling a 20. I may have a jar of poker chips on the table and let the players grab one themselves. I play with a re-roll instead of declaring beforehand so it makes it more powerful. Maybe this idea of having a d6 or d4 dice in the jar and let players use one or as many as they like/need after the roll.

Maybe I will keep my 'hero point' anything and let the crits pull a die to use for the night. Gives me a reason to buy more dice of a funny color.

Remove ads