New Terminator from Cameron will ignore all but T1 and T2

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But films? Unless I know what a studio is releasing via their advertising, its detective work to get that info. There are precious few pastimes I enjoy enough to work that hard for. RPG gaming is one. Guitar playing is another.

I think we live in different worlds. I don’t characterise that as either “detective work” or “working hard”. This is a trivially easy task; heck, it’s just a bookmark in your browser. You don’t need to be Batman!

There is stuff in this world you have to work hard to find. Movie releases aren’t one of those things.

I mean, if you’re not that interested in movies, that’s fine. Just say that. Why then are we even having this conversation?

It’s the putting the blame on the filmmakers whose films you don’t watch is the bit I can’t grok. My brain just fizzles out at the concept that that you’d place the onus of your own entertainment on someone else.

Different worlds, I guess. I like movies, so I keep a lazy eye on what’s out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am interested in film.

Just went to Universal's website. They made a big fuss about their "Dark Universe" line of films, of which The Mummy with Tom Cruise was the first release. Of the projects mentioned in their announcement, only one was listed as having a release date in the next several years. There were also no easily visible links to any of Universal's subsidiary studios. If they existed at all, I didn't see them.

That's lazy.

By way of comparison, if I go to the websites of guitar makers which have subsidiaries, almost all of them provide easy and obvious links to the websites of those subsidiaries. Those that don't mostly sell & promote those products on the main website instead of maintaining a distinct website.

Or look at ENWorld: you maintain a clear and obvious link to CM.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am interested in film.

Just went to Universal's website. They made a big fuss about their "Dark Universe" line of films, of which The Mummy with Tom Cruise was the first release. Of the projects mentioned in their announcement, only one was listed as having a release date in the next several years. There were also no easily visible links to any of Universal's subsidiary studios. If they existed at all, I didn't see them.

That's lazy.

I dunno what to tell you, man. It's not a thing I have difficulty with.

ccs

41st lv DM
I am interested in film.

That's lazy.

By way of comparison, if I go to the websites of guitar makers which have subsidiaries, almost all of them provide easy and obvious links to the websites of those subsidiaries. Those that don't mostly sell & promote those products on the main website instead of maintaining a distinct website.

Or look at ENWorld: you maintain a clear and obvious link to CM.

So you yourself said that you are interested in films. But typing "Films being released in Oct. 2017" or such into your search bar, or bookmarking IMDB, & reading a synopsis/watching a trailer is being rejected as too much work on your end.
Yet you'll search out, in your own words, obscure music.

As for your lack of local theatre options? Make a list of whatever you think your interested in seeing. Wait 6 months. Log onto Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc & enjoy. And if you find something is Bleh? Close it out & move onto the next thing on the list.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So you yourself said that you are interested in films. But typing "Films being released in Oct. 2017" or such into your search bar, or bookmarking IMDB, & reading a synopsis/watching a trailer is being rejected as too much work on your end.
Yet you'll search out, in your own words, obscure music.

As for your lack of local theatre options? Make a list of whatever you think your interested in seeing. Wait 6 months. Log onto Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc & enjoy. And if you find something is Bleh? Close it out & move onto the next thing on the list.
1) I have IMDB bookmarked. Don't do Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. Occasionally use my on demand options- that's how I caught Cabin in the Woods. CitW, however, had significant buzz during its initial theatrical run.

As for the part of your post I bolded: I can't make that list if I haven't heard of the films.. And that's what I keep harping on. I see ads for the big-budget stuff, but anything less than that is virtually invisible.

2) I didn't say I'd research obscure music. I said:
There are precious few pastimes I enjoy enough to work that hard for. RPG gaming is one. Guitar playing is another. Books are a third. Gems for jewelry design- simply by necessity- are a fourth. That's about it.

Of obscure music, I said:

Now, as for me personally, I don't go looking for movie ads online. If I don't hear about a film via word of mouth, TV (or rarely) radio buys, or some kind of online ad banner, I don't hear about them. Why?

It isn't my job to do the movie studio's publicity arm's work for them.

And here's the thing: I'm the same way with music, but I have a 5000+ CD collection. I listen to and buy some pretty obscure stuff. And despite not being an active, website-scouring consumer, and with the decline of CDs in favor of downloaded media, I still manage to find and buy as many as 100 CDs per year. The music companies- and sometimes the artists themselves- simply do a much better job of promoting their less mainstream releases.

IOW, I put comparable effort into music shopping and movie searching.

I hate opera. I go only if I have to. I attend some kind of theatrical dance performance once every 2 years or so.

But I know more about the schedule of the local opera houses and dance shows than I do about the existence of movies below "blockbuster" denomination because those organizations do a FAR better job of advertising their products.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see ads for the big-budget stuff, but anything less than that is virtually invisible.

And yet, somehow, people manage to watch them.

They’re not invisible, Danny. It honestly just requires one bookmark. The effort required is astonishingly trivial. Honestly, man, you can’t blame this on Hollywood. It’s a choice.

It’s not a wrong choice, but let’s acknowledge that it is a choice. :)

I make similar choices about fashion, and music. I could find the latest stuff with a truly insignificant effort. I just choose not to. I don’t blame the music industry and the fashion industry for that though - it’s my choice.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And yet, somehow, people manage to watch them.

They’re not invisible, Danny. It honestly just requires one bookmark. The effort required is astonishingly trivial. Honestly, man, you can’t blame this on Hollywood. It’s a choice.

It’s not a wrong choice, but let’s acknowledge that it is a choice. :)

I make similar choices about fashion, and music. I could find the latest stuff with a truly insignificant effort. I just choose not to. I don’t blame the music industry and the fashion industry for that though - it’s my choice.
"One bookmark" is clearly hyperbole.
15260801.jpg

I reiterate: there's a huge difference between the way "big" movies are marketed in first runs vs small ones. Those differences exist at every stage, from simple advertising to number of screens in a given market, and they affect awareness and the box office. Most other entertainment markets do a better job getting the word out about "smaller budget" options.

Which is why I know that Shen Yun (Korean dance troupe) is on its third pass through the Dallas area in the past 24 months, but couldn't name half of the major category Oscar film nominees, despite not being a big dance fan. (Shen Yun posters are all over the damn place...just like the previous two tours.)

Edit: just checked
Of the 51 movies listed online as being showing in my general area, I didn't now of 11 of them. Neither number includes those showing at the Indian movie theater. Not that I watch Indian cinema, but if I did, I'd clearly need to do a bit more work.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
"One bookmark" is clearly hyperbole.

Sure. And so is “invisible”.

I reiterate: there's a huge difference between the way "big" movies are marketed in first runs vs small ones.

Sure. Nobody has disagreed with that. It’s not really the topic at hand.
Which is why I know that Shen Yun (Korean dance troupe) is on its third pass through the Dallas area in the past 24 months, but couldn't name half of the major category Oscar film nominees, despite not being a big dance fan. (Shen Yun posters are all over the damn place...just like the previous two tours.)

But Oscar nominees are *literally* one bookmark. No hyperbole, one actual literal bookmark. The only reason you don’t know who the Oscar nominees are is because you’ve chosen not to look.

That’s the opposite example of what you mean.

Remove ads