• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E New to 4E looks for tips (Rogue)

Crownless King

First Post
I'm new to 4E, I've played 3.5 as a monk, but i'm thinking of playing a Changling Rogue to be specific. What are some nifty things that I can do, since I remember that 3.5 had a lot of freedom when it came to customization and i heard 4E is very limited. So pretty much what i'm asking is

• What are some awesome equipment/feats that i should get that would make my experience more fun, funny :):):):) like things that make me walk on ceilings and :):):):). Or equipment that assist greatly in combat.
  • What are some items that i can get for :):):):):) and giggles, the portable fort or bag of holding from 3.5.
  • Is there anything in the game that would make me OP as :):):):)?
  • Any info that i should know that would give me an edge on the rest of my party?
Could you please provide the book where any of the things you list is from?

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
4e actually has excellent customization since fluff is completely de-integrated from crunch at the fundamental level. Even the mechanical bits are pretty tweakable.

If you are looking for powerful builds, I suggest looking here and in particular with your stated aims, here and here.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Sneak Attack uber alles.

Get CA as often as you can any way that you can. Find a good defender and use them mercilessly as the anvil to your poking stick.

Because your Sneak Attack is +2-5d8 (you *did* take Backstabber right?) the difference in damage between your at-wills and encounters is not going to be terribly big, so you're free to choose your encounters for their effects.

I personally loved Piercing Strike. Weapon v Reflex at-will means you nearly always hit, especially with CA in the mix.

Brad

Crownless King

First Post
alright sweet guys thanks, are there any items/equipment i should get for RP purposes or just because theyre cool like a portable fortress if they still exist or flying discs or whatever?

Crownless King

First Post
Also a friend of mine mentioned a feat that grants +1 charisma per language known...any idea what he was talking about? he says he forgot what it was, and on that note, any easy ways to dramatically increase my charisma?

samursus

Explorer
Also a friend of mine mentioned a feat that grants +1 charisma per language known...any idea what he was talking about? he says he forgot what it was, and on that note, any easy ways to dramatically increase my charisma?

Think that might be a mistake. 4e would never have a stat-raising feat, it goes against the demonstrated and stated design philosophy.

Prestidigitalis

First Post

Could be a +1 on charisma checks or on charisma-based skill checks, but the latter would be awfully good and the former would be... well hell, does anyone ever do a vanilla charisma check?

Riastlin

First Post
Aye, raising stats outside of the standard level bumps is pretty difficult. I know some Epic Destinies give a +2 to a stat. Outside of that, I'm not recalling anything off the top of my head.

As for RP items, eh, most items can be roleplayed if you really want, though they have gone with a level-based item scheme, meaning many of the bigger/cooler items are only available at a higher level (at least in theory). I don't recall the Portable Fort but it might be there. I certainly wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it as a DM though if you wanted to make one. It would be a fairly high level item though considering the instant campsite is I believe level 5.

MrMyth

First Post
As far as fun and quirky items and powers goes, it does sound like some rituals might be what you are looking for. Even as a rogue, all you need is training in the right skills and feats, and you can start casting all sorts of random effects (typically only useful out of combat). Everything from stuff like Unseen Servants and Tensor's Floating Disk to Speaking with the Dead or sending Animal Messengers, etc.

Items that can do fun or useful stuff, at low-level:
Flask of the Dragon's Breath (you can breath fire 1/day)
Everlasting Provisions (generates food for the party each day)
Instant Campsite (instantly lets you create or put away a campsite)
Flagon of Ale Procurement (directs you to nearest alcoholic beverage)
And, of course, the usual Figurines of Wondrous Power, Bag of Tricks, etc.

As a Changeling Rogue, you'll probably already be quite good at sneaking and disguise, but there are other items that can help. You can get armor that turns into ordinary clothes, or that you can summon when needed.

There are also certainly some items that can let you spider-climb, or earthwalk, or various other movement effects, though usually not until later levels. The Spidersilk Mantle lets you gain spider-climb for a round each combat, and is available by level 3 - that's probably your best bet.

In the end, there is definitely plenty of room for customization. And there are certainly plenty of fun or interesting items out there - though whether you get access to the ones you want may depend on your DM. Rituals can also help with that, potentially letting you craft the items you want.

What level is the game at, and what is it you want your character to be able to do? Knowing that, we can probably give more specific advice.

Are you just going for someone that does as much damage as possible? Or someone with lots of tricks to get you out of dangerous situations? Someone who is just sneaky, or someone who also is good at talking his way out of situations? Do you want to be really effective on your own, or a skilled member of a larger team? Are you more concerned with offense, survival, or out of combat tricks? Etc.

Remove ads