New to D&D: First Character Build

0rbit

First Post
I'm building a character for my first D&D game this weekend. My Dwarven Ranger may not be the most original build but I think it's something that's easy for me to get my head around for my first game.

The game is a one-shot where each character starts at level 7. My Ranger is supposed to be agile fighter; constantly charging the enemy and backing up to a ranged position whenever possible. He wields one melee and one ranged weapon. His behavior in battle is basically defined by his two at-will powers: Throw and Stab, Hit and Run.

Suggestions for optimization are welcome :)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Balding, level 7
Dwarf, Ranger
Build: Marauder Ranger
Fighting Style: Marauder Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 19 Reflex: 16 Will: 18
HP: 57 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +14, Stealth +7, Endurance +11, Athletics +11, Perception +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Heal +7, History +3, Insight +7, Intimidate +2, Nature +7, Religion +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Manticore's Fury
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Axe)
Level 6: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Hit and Run
Ranger at-will 1: Throw and Stab
Ranger encounter 1: Evasive Strike
Ranger daily 1: Skirmishing Stance
Ranger utility 2: Yield Ground
Ranger encounter 3: Thundertusk Boar Strike
Ranger daily 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
Ranger utility 6: Weave Through the Fray
Ranger encounter 7: Cut and Run

ITEMS
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Chainmail of Exploits +1, Badge of the Berserker +1, Challenge-Seeking Handaxe +2, Vanguard Waraxe +2, Everburning Torch, Boar Tusk Helm (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Aulirophile

First Post
Serpentine Dodge give you a reliable way to get away from enemies to charge one/encounter. Your charge does +1d8 (Vanguard)+1d6 (horned helm). You can use the handaxe to transfer slowed/immobilized to an enemy, then charge (course if you miss you don't get the charge, but hey). You can shift 1 after a charge. So charge something adjacent to a defender, shift away. If it comes after you, defender gets to hit. If not, move back next turn, and charge again.

The rest are just the abilities I basically always use for a ranger build. I might take Hurling Charge in place of off-hand strike (even though it is a minor action attack).

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Balding, level 7
Dwarf, Ranger
Build: Marauder Ranger
Fighting Style: Marauder Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 19 Reflex: 16 Will: 18
HP: 57 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +14, Stealth +7, Endurance +12, Athletics +11, Perception +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Heal +7, History +3, Insight +7, Intimidate +2, Nature +7, Religion +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Manticore's Fury
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Axe)
Level 6: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Marauder's Rush
Ranger at-will 1: Throw and Stab
Ranger encounter 1: Off-Hand Strike
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger utility 2: Begin the Hunt
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
Ranger utility 6: Serpentine Dodge
Ranger encounter 7: Lashing Leaves

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Badge of the Berserker +1, Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Dwarven Chainmail +1, Vanguard Craghammer +2, Horned Helm (heroic tier), Transference Handaxe +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Last edited:

0rbit

First Post
How old are you, why have you started playing.

Just interested.

My excuse I started in the 80's.

27. I agreed to give it a try last weekend when a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to join them. Not really sure why I didn't get into it before... I guess no one ever asked! I started reading the PHB earlier this week and I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to our game this weekend.

0rbit

First Post
Serpentine Dodge give you a reliable way to get away from enemies to charge one/encounter. Your charge does +1d8 (Vanguard)+1d6 (horned helm). You can use the handaxe to transfer slowed/immobilized to an enemy, then charge (course if you miss you don't get the charge, but hey). You can shift 1 after a charge. So charge something adjacent to a defender, shift away. If it comes after you, defender gets to hit. If not, move back next turn, and charge again.

The rest are just the abilities I basically always use for a ranger build. I might take Hurling Charge in place of off-hand strike (even though it is a minor action attack).

Great call on the helm and boots. I never even noticed those abilities!

I will take a closer look at your power suggestions later today. I think I will be taking a few of your suggestions there as well... I'm switching to Marauder's Rush right away. I had overlooked the fact that you can use it as your melee attack in any charge. That makes it so essential for this build!

Aulirophile

First Post
Sure. Skirmishing Stance (level 1 daily) might work out really well since you want to move around anyway. It is hard to beat Jaws of the Wolf for damage (it'll basically 1-shot an even level artillery and some skirmishers if both attacks hit), but if you popped Skirmishing stance at the start of a fight and made an effort to Throw and Stab every round it could be beautiful.

Aulirophile

First Post
/adds some more ideas. Avenging Charge instead of Disruptive Strike might do more damage, Disruptive can prevent quite a lot of damage though.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
By all means, keep 'em coming :)

I want to surprise the veterans by coming into the game with a well made and effective character for a first timer!

Remembering and playing its capabilities and paying attention to your allies abilities can make the difference no matter what the build (catch the bit about playing off the fighter for instance)

0rbit

First Post
Remembering and playing its capabilities and paying attention to your allies abilities can make the difference no matter what the build (catch the bit about playing off the fighter for instance)

Yes, I took note of that. I will be paying close attention at the table to see how this game actually *works*. Even after reading the PHB cover to cover there are so many unknowns that I won't be able to really understand until I experience the game itself.

Remove ads