• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New to D&D - Level x magic item?

DadToD&DBoys

First Post
Hello All,

Brief intro...

It was my 10 year old that introduced me to D&D before Christmas, asking 1000's of questions about it. We started to learn about it together. During Christmas break we picked up the Red Box and my 10 year old and his 7 year old brother started sponging up everything. I soon realized two things: 1) that the Red Box was just the tip of the iceberg and there was so much more I needed to know, and 2) my kids absorb this information much quicker than I do. I haven't looked into related medical conditions, but if there's something called 'D&D on the Brain' - my kids have it.

We're currently working our way through the DM Kit's Harkenworld adventures and, to be honest, it's a little overwhelming as a total novice DM. I'm able to keep things flowing by adlibbing and roll playing where I don't have any idea of the rules.

So, onto my question...

A few of the rewards state 'level 2 (or 3 or 4) magic item'. Is there a list of magic items for each level? I missed it if it was in the included material.

I have many other questions, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Dad to D&D Boys.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Go to the Rewards chapter in the DM's book or the Equipment chapter of the "Heroes" books. You'll see lists of magic items, and each magic item is usually available in more than one level. Pick a magic item of the appropriate level.

the Jester

Legend
I don't have the DM's Kit, but from what I've heard, there is a chapter of magic items in there, divided by level and rarity.

If I am wrong, apologies- both of the 'Heroes of the ...' books have small magic item selections in them in the equipment section.

I'm not sure off the top of my head whether there is an actual breakdown by level in either of those books, though. The Players Handbook and Adventurer's Vault books both have a list of, f'rex, magic weapons by level at the start of the section on magic weapons, and AV has an index in the back of all the magic items in the book by level- handy! I'm not sure if AV is still in print, though; I haven't seen a copy on the shelf in a while. You might be able to pick it up used; it's a great source for tons of magic items.

I'll attach my own homebrewed magic item document for you; that ought to open up your options, at least, although some items in there refer to campaign-specific rules and whatnot (e.g. critical severity, radiation/RADs, etc) or campaign elements (specific religions, characters, etc). Still, it should be pretty easy to adapt and use most of them.

Attachments

• Magic Items and charts.pdf
    344.4 KB · Views: 316

DadToD&DBoys

First Post
Klaus - I hadn't seen the 'Rewards' section - thank you.

Jester - You gave me just what I asked for and more - thank you x 10.

I misread the first time when the treasure description said 'Level 2 magic item'. I remembered the magic item cards from the Red Box and thought one said 'Level 2 magic item'. In fact it was +2 armour, so I'll have to find out what level of magic item that is equivalent to and rebalance.

Dad to D&D Boys

Last edited:

DadToD&DBoys

First Post
Hey Jester, (or anyone who reads this),

A question about powers...

I'm unclear on how you know which powers your characters have access to. The Red Box listed quite a few powers, but not all, and my players are asking how they get to use other powers they've learned about but haven't yet been able to choose (ie. Cleave).

Also, is there a chart that shows how many daily/encounter/at-will/utility powers the characters have access to at each level?

Thanks,

Dad to D&D Boys

Klaus

First Post
Hey Jester, (or anyone who reads this),

A question about powers...

I'm unclear on how you know which powers your characters have access to. The Red Box listed quite a few powers, but not all, and my players are asking how they get to use other powers they've learned about but haven't yet been able to choose (ie. Cleave).

Also, is there a chart that shows how many daily/encounter/at-will/utility powers the characters have access to at each level?

Thanks,

Dad to D&D Boys
It depends on the class, but the basic table gives a character:

- 2 at-will attack powers at 1st level
- 1 encounter attack power at 1st level
- 1 daily attack power at 1st level
- 1 utility power at 2nd level
- +1 encounter power at 3rd level
- +1 daily power at 5th level
- +1 utility power at 6th level

Now, some classes break from this pattern. In fact, the only classes in Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms that match this progression are the Cleric and the Wizard.

aco175

Legend
Just remember Rule #1 is to have fun.

I remember being about this age when one of my dads friends from work came over and showed us how to play. This was like 30 years ago. I still play with my father and one of my brothers weekly. Fond memories, enjoy the time with them.

DadToD&DBoys

First Post
Klaus - thanks again. Did you know that off the top of your head or look it up somewhere? I find the Red Box Player Book very difficult to use as a reference book because of the way the information for each class is scattered throughout the multi-path adventure.

Aco175 - Yes, we are having great fun, but I didn't realize it would be so much "work" as DM. The kids are loving it and doing much research on their own. One encounter in Reavers of Harkenwold had Stirges. A few days after we played that encounter, after supper, out of the blue, my 10 year old asks, "Is it true that if you deal psychic damage to a Stirge it loses its ability to fly and can only move 2?".

Now I have no idea if this is true or not - I don't think it said anything about that in the encounter - I'm not even sure where to confirm this information, but as DM I'd be willing to accept that just on the merit of researching that or coming up with that idea. Young minds are fun to see in action.

Hopefully we'll continue to enjoy learning the game together as your family has.

Dad to D&D Boys

Klaus

First Post
Klaus - thanks again. Did you know that off the top of your head or look it up somewhere? I find the Red Box Player Book very difficult to use as a reference book because of the way the information for each class is scattered throughout the multi-path adventure.

Aco175 - Yes, we are having great fun, but I didn't realize it would be so much "work" as DM. The kids are loving it and doing much research on their own. One encounter in Reavers of Harkenwold had Stirges. A few days after we played that encounter, after supper, out of the blue, my 10 year old asks, "Is it true that if you deal psychic damage to a Stirge it loses its ability to fly and can only move 2?".

Now I have no idea if this is true or not - I don't think it said anything about that in the encounter - I'm not even sure where to confirm this information, but as DM I'd be willing to accept that just on the merit of researching that or coming up with that idea. Young minds are fun to see in action.

Hopefully we'll continue to enjoy learning the game together as your family has.

Dad to D&D Boys
It's mostly off the top of my head (I write for D&D, so I have to knows stuff like that).

The thing with the Red Box is that it is an introduction to the hobby of RPGs, but you'll learn the system better by buying the Rules Compendium, the DM's Kit and one of the Heroes of... books.

And no, there is no blanket "psychic damage drops a stirge" rule. Some powers may have effects like that (deal psychic damage and slows a creature), but each power is its own thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads