New to Gaming- Need some help

Heartofvalor

First Post
First off i'd like o thank you you if you are taking the time to read this. I know that noobs can be annoying sometimes and ask stupid questions. My question is related to the functioning of dice in rpgs

I know that there are various types of dice and how to read the notation. I am also aware of, to some extent, that the dice are used for determining different outcomes for skills, actions and other types of resolutions. However, it has become increasingly frustrating and tiring to try and find information on just HOW each dice functions- I.e. Why is a d4 used instead of a d12? etc.

so my question is, what role does each die play (d4,d6,d8,d10,d12 and d20) in the various rpgs? Why is each die being used rather than any of
the others?

examples of skills or situations in which each die is used would be helpful too. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions :)

the Jester

Legend
Well, it varies depending on what game you are referencing. You're asking a question which actually doesn't have a single answer.

The kind of smarmy, obvious-on-its-face answer is "You use die X for task Y because the rules say so." And that's actually a valid, reasonable answer.

However, there's usually more to it.

Looking at D&D as an example, you can make a few general statements about the dice.

1. You use a d20, generally speaking, to determine success of failure, e.g. did you hit, did you make a save.

2. You use pretty much all the other dice to determine degree of success, e.g. how much damage did I do, what is the bonus provided by my strength spell (in 2e and earlier). Rarely, non-d20 dice are rolled to determine whether something happens (e.g. once per hour, there is a 1 in 12 chance of a random encounter).

3. Any die may have the function of assigning a random result from a table, e.g. wandering monster charts, random weather tables, random dungeon generation, etc. In this case, rather than determining anything related to success, the dice simply pick one (or more) of several possible results.

Smaller dice generate a smaller range of results. Weapons that do less damage have smaller damage dice.

But wait! There's more!

There's a distinction to be made between rolling one die (such as 1d20), multiple dice (3d6) or multiple dice in a pool, which D&D really only uses in character generation (best 3 of 4d6).

A single die roll provides an equal probability of each result, so (f'rex) 1d20 gives 20 results of equal probability. This is good if you want a wide spread of possible results or if you want a wide spread of characters to have a chance of succeeding at some task (assuming modifiers for character skill don't range outside of about 12 points of each other or thereabouts). In other words, using 1d20 to determine success lets characters operate together even if one of them only has a +2 to the roll and the other has a +15. It lets you set target numbers that offer both of these characters a chance of success while still rewarding players who invest in the relevant skill set (combat, crafting, whatever).

Multiple dice (3d6, for instance) look similar- you get a result of 3 to 18, which is close to 1 to 20, right?- but the probabilities are significantly different. Since you have a 1 in 6 chance to roll a 6 on each die, you only hit an 18 if all three dice roll a 6- a 1 in 216 chance. This is VERY different than a 1 in 20 chance. Most of your rolls will be in the 8-13 range, so average tasks will be easy for anyone above average, while difficult tasks will be very difficult or almost impossible for characters with lower stats, skills or modifiers.

Dice pool systems, such as in the World of Darkness game, let you roll multiple dice, but work differently. Each die that hits your target number or above is one success; generally, even one success is a marginal success, and the more dice hit the target number the better. Usually, rather than modifying your dice, a character's skills give you more dice to roll in such a system.

I'm not sure whether this really answers you question, but it's a pretty big question! I hope it at least starts to give you the answer you're looking for!

dbm

Savage!
Yes indeed, you have asked a fairly philosophical question and the Jester has given you a fairly comprehensive answer.

The short answer to your question really is 'use the dice the book tells you to use'. Why did the book specify one dice over another? Generally it is down to spreads of distribution, and the design decisions which go with those.

As already noted, rolling a single dice results in a linear distribution of results, a pair of dice added together gives a triangle distribution, three summed gives a bell curve and more dice added together result in systematically less variability in the result whilst still leaving you with random outcomes and the occasional extreme value.

Most modern systems have a core mechanism which is used for task resolution. DnD uses D20+mods versus a target number, higher is better. GURPS uses 3d6 roll under your modified skill. FUDGE uses special dice which generate a number between +1 and -1 and has you roll four of them and add the value to your skill level.

In DnD the other dice in these cases are generally used to determin the size of the effect once you have succeeded. Many games only use a single type of dice (GURPS, FUDGE, Story Teller system).

Often the Games Master's book will explain the design decisions behind dice choices, or the games designer may post about it on a blog.

Heartofvalor

First Post
That answers a lot of questions surrounding how they function, thank you very much. So on a more masic level, using a die or a group of dice, depending on the situation, resaults in various odds and propabilities. if you want a higher rate of succuess, you would use smaller dice(i.e. d4), and for a lower rate use bigger dice(i.e. d20), and for even more variances you would use multiple dice to increase or decrease the rate of success. So rather than each die fulfilling a spcific function its more about how well the player is allowed to succeed or fail.

AS from what i take from it, if you want a player to have a high rate of succeeding, you would use a d4. If you want a higher rate of success but not too much higher, then it may call for using mulitple d4 dice (i.e. 3d4) and having a spcific target number.

I.e. Atk is 5, opponnents Def 10. roll 3d4 (+ 2 for mod.)
or something to that effect just a basic layout to get a better understanding. I guess it would help if I could see expamples in skills or combat situations in which the dice are use.

do you think that is a good understanding of how it works? or am i missing something

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
You're getting the gist of it [MENTION=6696935]Heartofvalor[/MENTION] , but I think you're missing out on some of the more typical uses. Generally a game system uses as few different dice mechanics as possible (there are exceptions) to help simplify things mathematically.

As a system designer myself, I know that ideally a truly "simple" or "streamlined" system uses a single dice mechanic. In D&D, there are two major dice mechanics as listed by the Jester. The first is the 1d20, the second is all of the other dice.

I'll give you a contextual example:

Ned the warrior is locked in battle against an ugly orc. The Dungeon Master (DM) wants to determine who goes first in this battle, as D&D is a turn-based game. The DM asks for Ned to roll 1d20 for his "Initiative", and add a few modifiers based upon Ned's speed and quick reflexes.

Ned is pretty good at stuff like this, so he gets to add +4 to his Initiative roll. He rolls his 1d20, rolls an 11, adds +4, and gets a final result of 15.

"Cool, I got 15" Ned's player would say.
The DM rolls for the Orc (typically in secret). The orc is strong but isn't quite as quick as Ned, and only gets a +2 to his Initiative roll. The DM also rolls an 11, but with his +2 bonus, only ends up with a 13. Since 13 is less than 15, Ned gets to act first.
"Okay, what does Ned do?" The DM asks.

Ned: "I want to charge up to the orc and try to slash him with my sword"
DM: "Okay, you can charge 30 feet up to the orc and make an attack roll."
Ned rolls a 1d20 again (the dice used to determine success or failure) and gets an 8. Since Ned is a warrior, he is pretty well trained to use his sword, and has a +5 bonus. Since he is charging up on the orc, he has some added momentum and gets another +1 bonus.

Ned's total is 8 + 5 (attack bonus) + 1 (charging bonus) = 14.
Ned: "I got a 14 total with the charge."
The DM compares Ned's roll of 14 with the orc's Armor Class (AC) which is basically how hard he is to hit. This number is typically static, and is modified by different things like the orc's armor, his skill in battle, and how quick he is on his feet.

In the DM's notes, he sees that the orc only has an AC of 12. Since 14 beats 12, Ned's attack is successful.

DM: "You hit, go ahead and roll damage."
Ned: "Sweet!"
Now Ned gets to roll the second dice mechanic for his sword. Since he is using a longsword, according to the rules of D&D, he gets to roll 1d8 to determine how much damage is done. Since Ned is pretty strong and skilled with a blade, he gets to add +3 damage to whatever he rolls.

Ned rolls a 5 on his d8, adds his +3, and gets a final damage result of 8.

Ned: "I got 8 total damage."
DM: "Ned charges forward with a look of grim determination, shifts his weight at the last moment, and uses his forward momentum to bring his longsword with a slice up to the larger orc's exposed chest. The orc bellows in pain and rage as blood splashes across Ned's shield."
Ned: "Yeah!"

And then it would be the orc's turn, and things would continue. Does that make more sense?

Heartofvalor

First Post
it certianly does :) if i may i would like to admiot a secret. I am a very creative person by nature and have a nack for building and designing. I would like to design my own game buit since i dont have much in the way of knowledge, i guess you could say none of my rolls have been very success full. I guess it would help to become aprt of a game to understand how I could go about it. Table top rpgs have always intriged me and if I am to do something like build a game, I need more information. I have purchased Kobold's book (not sure if it was a wise choice or not given i dont know that much) and have been working on various types of ways to run it not only what fits my gaming personality but would be somrthing that people would want to play.

Thank you again for all your help!
I'm sure I will be up and posting more noobie questions. Also if you would like to hear more about my ideas and possibly help in any way, please feel free to message me. I am always open to new ideas, good friends and a great conversation :)

Also i would like to get involved in a game (online if possible) so if you have any suggestions please send me a message as well

pauljathome

First Post
have been working on various types of ways to run it not only what fits my gaming personality but would be somrthing that people would want to play.

Thank you again for all your help!
I'm sure I will be up and posting more noobie questions. Also if you would like to hear more about my ideas and possibly help in any way, please feel free to message me. I am always open to new ideas, good friends and a great conversation :)

Also i would like to get involved in a game (online if possible) so if you have any suggestions please send me a message as well

Being creative with rules and games is superb and lots of fun. A great many experienced gamers also innovate to some extent or other. That being said, it would probably be best to get some experience of games under your belt before doing too much in this vein. As in anything, there is some basic knowledge that has to be obtained before you can really innovate meaningfully. Until then, you'll be spending your time re-inventing the wheel.

If the possibility exists I'd urge you to try and find face to face games as well as online games. One particularly good venue would be various organized play environments as these are very welcoming to newcomers and will let you experience multiple playing styles. PFS (Pathfinder Society) is one such. Living Forgotten Realms or Encounters (4th edition) are another such.

Or try to find local groups. There are various gaming related Meetups, many game stores have bulletin boards, there are some newsgroups dedicated to gamers finding gamers.

Remove ads