• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E New to Pathfinder

d'Anconia

Explorer
So, being intrigued by all the hubbub generated by the Pathfinder RPG announcements recently, I've downloaded the Alpha playtest, and I have to say - it looks really good. The production values are obviously sky high.

While I was looking around the Paizo website after downloading the file, it looks like not only will Pathfinder by the standard bearer for 3.5 rules going forward, but there seems to be a Pathfinder "campaign setting" that's spread out over quite a few product lines and adventure paths. But, it all seems a little fragmented.

If one wanted to get a good feel for the Pathfinder campaign setting, where would one turn to first? The 1st Adventure Path module? Or is there an overview somewhere that I haven't found?

Thanks!

A good way to get an overview of the setting before spending any cash on the products is to download the free pdf versions of the player's guides for the two adventure paths. Rise of the Runelords path is complete and encompasses the first six issues of the Pathfinder series taking PCs from level 1 through about 15. Curse of the Crimson Throne is currently on its second issue and will also be six issues when complete. It starts in Pathfinder #7 and is for 1st level characters.

Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide can be downloaded here.

Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide can be downloaded here.

Both have enough tidbits about the setting to whet your appetite and decide if the setting might be for you.

wickederror

First Post
For additional fun material, I would recommend: Classic Monsters Revisited.

I am still waiting for my copy (damn postal service!) but it's been a big hit on the board, and the goblins from the burnt offerings path rock.

Samuel Leming

First Post
d'Anconia said:
If one wanted to get a good feel for the Pathfinder campaign setting, where would one turn to first? The 1st Adventure Path module? Or is there an overview somewhere that I haven't found?
I'd suggest reading the free downloads and then borrowing the first path from someone.

It seems to me that the Pathfinder world, Golarion, is very much like a Greyhawk++ in feel. Like other D&D worlds, it's a bit of a kitchen sink setting, but more like a plum pudding of weirdness. To encounter Lovecraftian horrors, dinosaurs or critters with weapons from other planets you have to go looking for those things. ;)

Sam

lucasbaltasar

First Post
There is a 64 page Gazetteer of Golarion (the name of the Pathfinder world) that comes out in May. It will supposedly give an overview of the setting, as well as brief descriptions of all the major kingdoms.

lucasbaltasar

First Post
Also keep in mind that the free player's guide downloads only detail bits of the Varissia region of Golarion, in which the first two adventure paths take place, and that Varissia is only a small section of the whole world.

Wicht

Hero
If you don't want to spend the money on the APs (though they are well worth it IMO), the modules are all set in the same world and will give you some idea of the production value of a Paizo product, which is quite high. Classic Monsters revisited is also a good read.

However, Burnt Offerings, the first of the Rise of the Runelord Campaign, is an excellent adventure and is designed to introduce the PCs to the area by giving them a homebase they care about.

I would not recommend buying all the printed material at once. If you are willing to spend the money ($40-50) to get an introduction to Golarion, I would recomend downloading the two players guide and buying both Burnt Offerings and Classic Monsters Revisited.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
My recommendation: Download Rise of the Runelord Players Guide that Toric_Arthendain linked to. Its a good place to begin, free, short, simple, and enough to give players a real feel of the world they're in before the first adventure.

If you like that, it depends on what you want. Do you like adventures? I'd highly recommond buying the back issues of Rise of the Runelords. Do you want setting and make your own adventures? Get the Gazetteer that comes out next month. Want pieces to integrate into your own homebrew? Classic Monsters Revisited (great way to make old monsters feel like new).

Remove ads