OD&D New toD&D 5thEd - Ftr>Eldritch Knight - questions, help, advice

ElterAgo

Explorer
Ok, adjusted slightly, but not as much as I expected. I decided to stick with intimidation even if it is my dump stat. It just seems too much of a soldier-ish kind of think to do even if it won't work too often. And maybe some GM's will let me use str instead of cha if I'm using muscle to intimidate.

Dragonborn, Bronze

Fighter level 2, protection fighting style, planning on eldritch knight
Align CG
Deity Mystra
Background Soldier
Str 17, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 13, Wisdom 12, Charisma 9
(took stat array though I am allowed to take point buy if it will work better)
Prof skills are athletics, history, perception, and intimidation.
Chainmail, Shield, Warhammer, Handaxe, Javelin (x3), Dagger

Switched the con to 14 and the int to 13, since I don't need the int quite yet. Switched to warhammer (versatile) instead of flail. Sold a hand axe and bought a few javelins (greater range and another damage type).
We advanced so I had a little cash so I bought some general gear like: caltrops, oil, signal whistle, manacles, grappling hook, silk rope, and a mirror. I'm already encumbered and slow because of the heavy armor, so the extra gear isn't hurting my movement.

Level 3 Eldritch Knight
Level 4 take +1 to str and +1 to int
Level 6 feat War Caster
Level 8 Ritual Caster OR +2 to str (not sure which to take first)
Level 12 Ritual Caster OR +2 to str
Level 14 Shield Master (?)
Level 16 Resilient (?)
Level 19
Observant (?)

Thanks for all your help guys and/or gals!

ElterAgo

Explorer
Hmm.. Apparently the rule "you see what you expect to see" still applies.

Ok, that seems kinda messed up to me, but if that's the rule, I'll go with it. I will have to move my gear around to leave most of it back at the house except when expected to need it.

Thanks.

guachi

Hero
I think planning a "build" past, say, level 10 is a fool's errand. Aside from your choice at level 4 to add +1 to Strength and Intelligence, I'd hesitate to plan anything out. The +1/+1 is such an obviously good choice at level 5 I'd go with that and then wait to see what happens at level 6.

Remove ads