New UA Paladin Sacred Oaths are Oath of Conquest and the Oath of Treachery

I'm disappointed about no Oath of Liberty, but I'll take a look at what they are bringing, when they get around to getting the page to work.

I'm disappointed about no Oath of Liberty, but I'll take a look at what they are bringing, when they get around to getting the page to work.

Wow, now it seems there are more evil paladin oaths then good guy oaths (if you count DMG). THat feels.....really weird, since I grew up with paladins being the pinnacle of good.

Hmm ...

2 "Good" Oaths (Devotion, Ancients)
2 "Neutral" Oaths (Vengeance, Crown)
3 "Evil" Oaths (Oathbreaker, Conquest, Treachery)

Yeah ...

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I have to reject both of these. The don't feel like paladins. They don't even feel like oaths. The Oath of Conquest could work, if it focused on conquering a particular location. The Oath of Treachery is just an alternative to the oathbreaker rules.

I wouldn't mind an Oath of Liberty. I know people who loved that concept in 3E. I could also see an Oath of Law. A Lawful Neutral paladin with a borderline tyrannical faith in the law. Judge Dredd as a Paladin.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Conquest should've been more about martial and war religion than lawful evil hell knights. No need to narrow it.

Agreed. When I was first starting to read it, I was thinking of the actual historical knights like the Templars. Crushing your enemies is hardly limited to demons and devils. The Church has a pretty storied history of taking that approach in the past as well ;)

It's up. Initial thoughts:

Conquest's flavor is ... disappointing. Would've much preferred it be strictly of a military bent, or like that of a Crusader. The Nine Hells flavor (which I get is optional, granted) just comes out of left field. Don't particularly care for the fact you have to be a strong-armed tyrant after, either.

Treachery is just another way to be a Blackguard/Oathbreaker. Ehhh ...

Hellknights are popular in Pathfinder, and based on their products (not to mention good sense), I suspect WotC/Paizo keep track of what works/doesn't work with each other's products. It is part of the reason summoning is weaker in 5e, and the mystic has a connection to the Far Realm (to give that creepy feeling like the Occult classes [basically PF psychic classes] in PF). It isn't all one-way, the PF witch is pretty much a 4e warlock without eldritch blast (which wasn't so important in 4e).

Still, it wouldn't have hurt for them to throw in a "good" paladin oath or 2 to balance out the bad ones.

Remove ads

Remove ads