• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New UA Paladin Sacred Oaths are Oath of Conquest and the Oath of Treachery

I'm disappointed about no Oath of Liberty, but I'll take a look at what they are bringing, when they get around to getting the page to work.

I'm disappointed about no Oath of Liberty, but I'll take a look at what they are bringing, when they get around to getting the page to work.

Patrick McGill

First Post
I like treachery. I hadn't thought of having alternatives to oath reakers., but as a dm who likes evil fallen Paladin npcs I'm happy with it.

Paladin as a whole is in a really good place this edition so I'm ambivalent to the hell knight.

Vymair

First Post
Pass, I play a paladin to be a hero that people admire, not fear. I see some value for interesting NPCs here, but not for player characters.

gyor

Legend
I notice the irony that because Oath of Treachery has no tenents, you can be a Lawful Good Oath of Treachery Paladin, there is absolutely nothing that requires or encourages evil unlike like Oath Breaker.

And the Oath of Conquest Paladin has clearly been inspired by Pathfinder's Hellknights BIG time. For FR I can see Oath of Conquest Paladins for Tempus, Bane, Lovitar, Abbathor, Tiamat, Gilgamesh, Set, Sebek, Anhur maybe, Helm (rarely), the Grey Dwarf Gods, Various Archdevils, Garuth, Garagos, Grazzt dispite being Chaotic he's still master of Tyranny, Talona, Shar.

How is this for an irony, a Lawful Evil Oath of Conquest Paladin can fall by doing a act of mercy and kindness to become a Lawful Good Oath of Treachery Paladin.

I think they're trying to get at least 1 Paladin Oath for each alignment. With Protection (LG), Ancients (NG), Vengeance (N), Crown (LN), Oathbreaker (NE), Conquest (LE), and Treachery (CE).

They just need to fill out CG and CN. I feel they just need to think of something distinct for those 2 alignments and then there'll be one of each alignment.

Many have proposed Liberation of CG, as that existed before. It just needs it's mechanics and story background that make it different enough from Protection and Ancients.

I have my idea of Madness for CN, which would be about delusions, insanity and possibly Great Old Ones.

Litania

First Post
I disagree with everyone who is saying they don't feel like paladins. Oath of treachery conjures up multiple classical figures for me, from lich king Arthas to lord Soth in Dragonlance. As for someone who read the original Oathbreaker and thought: "undead? Why?" I love having this option.
The other oaths we have are already flexible enough that we didn't really need new archetypes. Chaos paladin and alternate evil paladin are good to me.

gyor

Legend
I'd just use the Oath of Treachery as a stand in for the Oath of Liberty (and yes the idea is based on the Holy Liberator PrC from 3e).

I would not be surprised if the Big Book of Crunch has a DM section where these paladins and the skeezy bards end up.

They sure seem to be providing a lot of creepy options, but I agree that under the current AP release rate, it would be a bad decision to release an evil AP. Of course, if they started releasing more AP's......

It might be they are doing more then one book.
In 4th you had the books Heroes of shadoe and Heroes of the feywild.
Heroes Of shadow had shadowfelloptions and some more evel class options ( we seen plently of those in the UA so far)
And heroes of the feywild had fey based options and we also have seen a number of those in the UA articles.

gyor

Legend
I think they're trying to get at least 1 Paladin Oath for each alignment. With Protection (LG), Ancients (NG), Vengeance (N), Crown (LN), Oathbreaker (NE), Conquest (LE), and Treachery (CE).

They just need to fill out CG and CN. I feel they just need to think of something distinct for those 2 alignments and then there'll be one of each alignment.

Many have proposed Liberation of CG, as that existed before. It just needs it's mechanics and story background that make it different enough from Protection and Ancients.

I have my idea of Madness for CN, which would be about delusions, insanity and possibly Great Old Ones.

I'm thinking of say an Aura of Freedom which acts like a always on Freedom of Movement spell for everyone in the Aura.

Maybe a channel divinity that dispels one negative effect from an ally and another CD that turns fiends and constructs (like Modrons, Shield Guardians, Ineviblies, Golems, Eidelons which represent order).

A feature that grants advanage to attacks when out numbered.

And a Capstone called Avatar of Liberty that gives you an aura that boosts speed in yourself and allies, causes attacking enemies to have disadvantage, and bonus radiant damage.

gyor

Legend

A lovecraftian Oath, I like it. Alternately an Oath to a Slaadi/Batrachi Lord or a deity of pure chaos.

Remove ads

Remove ads