• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Weapon Enhancement: Weightless

Kularian

First Post
The thought just struck me for a new enhancement for a weapon. Let me know what you think:

Weightless

A weightless weapon is just that - weightless. The weight of the weapon is reduced to zero, and it becomes easier to wield in combat. If placed on a weapon of appropriate size for the wielder, the weapon receives a +1 bonus to-hit. If placed on an innapropriately sized weapon, this negates the -2 to-hit penalty, and allows the weapon to be used as if the wielder possessed the Monkey Grip feat. (If the wielder already possesses Monkey Grip, this enhancement just removes the -2 to-hit penalty)

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, feather fall; Price +2 bonus

Yea? Nay? I don't recall seeing this, so if someone's already posted something similar, a link would be appreciated, :D Just seemed to be a good idea to me at the time. (Reading the Mallorean series, where the main protagonist uses a huge, yet virtually weightless, 2-handed sword, thus my inspiration.)

ValhallaGH

Explorer
The same protagonist that killed a god and raised the dead (which the gods of that setting can't do) before he became king of half the world, all before age 18? ;)

That's actually a side effect of the relationship between him and the stone in the pommel. You'll note that anyone else that touches the sword (and isn't instantly killed) remarks upon how heavy the bloody thing is.

Meh. Seems like the Leap Attacking Half-Ogre Frezied Cleavezerker's dream, as it lets him use that Huge Greataxe (4d6) without any penalties.

Kularian

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
The same protagonist that killed a god and raised the dead (which the gods of that setting can't do) before he became king of half the world, all before age 18?

Yeah, that one, :lol:

ValhallaGH said:
That's actually a side effect of the relationship between him and the stone in the pommel. You'll note that anyone else that touches the sword (and isn't instantly killed) remarks upon how heavy the bloody thing is.

Well, right, but I still found it amusing. It was the weightless aspect that got me thinking about wielding such a huge sword.

ValhallaGH said:
Meh. Seems like the Leap Attacking Half-Ogre Frezied Cleavezerker's dream, as it lets him use that Huge Greataxe (4d6) without any penalties.

I suppose. I figured the +2 enhancement price would outweigh the -2 penalty from the Innapropriately Sized Weapon rules. Though I suppose one could just as easily get the +2 enhancement bonus alone to essentially negate the penalty and get the +2 to damage.

Though I figure it's more for those who want to use a bigger weapon, but don't want to use their feat on Monkey Grip. I dunno, I'm an anime fan, so I'm a personal fan of Monkey Grip, lol. Just a thought.

Narsil

First Post
Griffith Dragonlake said:
I should think that a weightless weapon would be a light weapon regardless of size.

Air presents a form of friction; though your blade might be weightless it is still there and still a physical object. Physical objects often have more to provide than weight.

Kularian

First Post
True, true. I thought about that, as well. But then you'd have people dual wielding Large Greatswords or something, and that's just silly. :lol:

But yeah, even if a weapon is weightless, it still has mass. (screwy, I know, but such is the way of magic) I dunno, the more I think about it, the more this really doesn't make sense, since it'd be open to many variations and such. I mean, I like it the way I presented it, (of course, :D) but I can see arguments for pretty much everything.

I'll keep this open for discussion (if anyone else wants to discuss it,) though. I like the idea, and will probably introduce it into my own campaign, via a baddie of some sort, hehe.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Bah. To quote a good guy I know:
If I so felt like it, I could allow players to be a 1st level Fighter with 10 feats, 3000 hit points, TWF with 20 foot long Greatswords that have a reach and threatened area of 4 squares in every direction.

:D Silly but fun. I actually playtested that once. Great Cleave just went on, and on, and on, and on.
Kularian said:
I suppose. I figured the +2 enhancement price would outweigh the -2 penalty from the Innapropriately Sized Weapon rules. Though I suppose one could just as easily get the +2 enhancement bonus alone to essentially negate the penalty and get the +2 to damage.
Or get Both! 12d6+1896 critical hits are pretty cool. The first time. After that they get really boring. "I crit. I cleave." "Aren't you going to roll damage?" "Why bother? Gods die from min damage."

Remove ads