Newbie here with a question for all........

Cullain

First Post
first things first. 9 players is a LOT to deal with, without them playing two characters. Since the players don't want to start over, how about this: split them up into two groups, with alternating sessions for each group. This way, they don't have to get rid of their characters, but it becomes signifigantly more manageable.

Second: a first level character is next to useless in a party like this, and it's sorta unfair to force a player to start at first. I'd up the characters level signifigantly.

Third: a 19th level character is going to be way too much for a group like this. Talk to the player, see if he's willing to retire the character, make him an NPC. Have him start a new character.

Fourth: rings of three wished, aye carumba! This is kinda cheesey, but force them into situations where using a wish is the only way to get them out. Force them to blow all these wishes.

Fifth: personally, I'd just ask everyone to start over, with new characters. these suggestions, and others that have been mentioned, might do some good. But starting over would definitely be the best option, IMO

Cullain

S'mon

Legend
I tend to think that contrived Total Party Kills (TPKs) are a bad idea - they really annoy the players, for a start, and are a sign of GM weakness IMO. I agree that it might be best to end this campaign. I suggest that the best way to do this is indeed a final campaign-ending scenario, but one set up to allow one of two options:

1. All the PCs die. The end.

2. The PCs 'win'. The great evil (preferably a pre-existing one in your campaign) is defeated. The world is changed. The campaign ends - refuse to GM further for the victorious PCs.

In either case, move your campaign timeline on, at least several years, maybe more (if it was a homebrew world I'd say a century or two) to a time when the old PCs are now legends, possibly with cults dedicated to their worship (making them NPC Saints/Quasi-Deities etc) if they won the final battle - 2 above. And start the players off with 1 first level PC each. Any decent player should be very happy to have made such an impact on your game world.

Bonedagger

First Post
Re: Re: Surefire Way To Scare Off All Your Players

Mark said:
Throw us a bone, brother! :)

:eek:

I would suggest that we would have none of that! :mad: :D

Kargin el Tomath:

Seriously though. I think the keyword here is communication. Tell the players that the game need to be changed, tell them why and then ask them which of your suggestions they would prefer. This gives them a feeling that it's also their game and they will not get so upset. (Some players will maybe feel it is a personal attack on their ego to have a character they have created dished by you without them having a say in it. This could cause frustration. You don't want that)

Just an advice :)

Last edited:

Well the problem has somewhat been solved. I threw an army of Titans at them. The 16 level cleric and the 19th level sorcerer are being sent to the abyss on a mission. So they're out. The only characters leftare a

10th level wizard (who has taken up residence in a town to further his studies in the arcane arts)

12 level paladin (who is now out of the party and is returning to his homeland to clear his name of a crime he didn't commit)

6th level cleric (who is returning to his homeland to search for his missing brother)

and the main party consists of:

14th level Dwarven Fighter
4th level Dwarven Fighter
1st level Dwarven Fighter (with only one leg now)
4 level Tiefling Fighter (who's using several change self potions to make himself look like a dwarf)

They are all traveling through "The Ride" in Forgotten Realms as part of a Dwarven Mercenary group now.

Everything has been fixed now (for the most part). Thanks for all of your help guys.

Well I'm thinking about sending the 14th level dwarf to help the 12th level Paladin.

Also is there a limit as to how many times a character can multiclass? Because i have an Air genesai who is a 7th Level Wizard, a 2nd Level Bard, and a 1st Level Ranger.

bloodymage

House Ruler
Kargin el Tomath said:
Well the problem has somewhat been solved.

and the main party consists of:

14th level Dwarven Fighter
4th level Dwarven Fighter
1st level Dwarven Fighter (with only one leg now)
4 level Tiefling Fighter (who's using several change self potions to make himself look like a dwarf)

They are all traveling through "The Ride" in Forgotten Realms as part of a Dwarven Mercenary group now.

Everything has been fixed now (for the most part). Thanks for all of your help guys.

So, you went from 9 players to 4? And 5 characters are off doing something else. Lemeesee, that accounts for 9 out of 18 characters. What of the other 9 characters and 5 other players? And I'm assuming that's a 4th level Tiefling and not 4 Tieflings. I also agree with Angelsboi. Send the 14th level dwarf off to settle a clan uprising or something. :rolleyes:

You don't mention the unbalancing magic items the party had. A low-level party buffed with things like rings of wishes will still send your campaign spinning out of control. :(

bloodymage

House Ruler
Also is there a limit as to how many times a character can multiclass? Because i have an Air genesai who is a 7th Level Wizard, a 2nd Level Bard, and a 1st Level Ranger.

According to the rules, no. There are some restrictions as to which classes can multi-class or multi-class without penalties. And of course, there's the xp penalties for racial preferences and uneven leveling.

All that is rather academic, though, considering your original quandry. A 10th level character like the genesai doesn't belong with a 3rd or 4th level party.

Last edited:

bloodymage said:

So, you went from 9 players to 4? And 5 characters are off doing something else. Lemeesee, that accounts for 9 out of 18 characters. What of the other 9 characters and 5 other players?

The other 9 characters ate it. Sweet hot death! Of the nine players three quit because they thought the Titans were "cheezy". Oh well.

[/B]You don't mention the unbalancing magic items the party had. A low-level party buffed with things like rings of wishes will still send your campaign spinning out of control. :( [/B]

Since none of them have used the rings yet, I have opted to turn all of the rings into cursed rings of 3 wishes. Whatever the wish for the exact opposite happens.

Basically the game is smooth and under control now. One more player is moving away so that will lighten the load (he plays the Tiefling).

I also spoke with the player that runs the 14th level dwarf. He's opted to pull his character out all together and retire him as a house painter. Hey, to each their own, right?

So now it's down to just 3 fighters (the two fourth level dwarves and the tiefling).

I'm running one last adventure for the sorcerer (19th level) and the cleric (16th level) and those two have agreed to retire their characters.

Thank you all for the great advice.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Congrats on handling it to your satisfaction! Good luck with the future games and let us know how the campaign turns out a few sessions down the road... :)

Remove ads