• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Newbie optimizer help requested on Dwarf Str Rogue Inquisitive

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Have you seen it in play? I haven't. I did wonder about it, but first it only works 1/round and it seems like a tank would like to take more than that. Second it takes away your OA, so you lose stickiness. And of course you have to survive to 5th level...

I've played it. At first you have to play like a Rogue. Don't expect to go toe to toe with anybody. Attack from Range, and after level 2 bonus action Hide. 14 Dex will only be 5% behind 16-17 Dex which is the highest you can start out with at AL. I would definitely get a Breastplate ASAP though.

16 AC in Breastplate is pretty good and doesn't give disadvantage on stealth checks.

I still recommend grabbing a Level in Barbarian for Shield proficiency. I like it best paired with the Shield Master feat, as bonus action shoves will give you advantage for sneak attacks. High Strength and Athletics Expertise will mean almost guaranteed success against anything that isn't huge or larger. If you want some stickiness, grapple that foe. It will cost you one round of damage, but it will keep them in place.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I would love a guide regarding the strength Rouge

Pros and cons.

Especially mixing Barbarian. The two do seem intrinsically linked. And maybe 2 levels of Fighter or even three for Champion Crit or Battlemaster maneuvers.

1 Rogue. 3 Barb. rogue x.

Whether a V. human usig Shieldmaster feat, or just twin rapier using dual wielder feat.

Spartan_MD

Explorer
I was looking at a short sword and a hammer, as it's light and can be thrown...

I realize that rapier is the most optimized, but for flavor reasons, I see hand ax, short sword and light hammer.

Agree on breast plate. With dex would be 18. Not too shabby.

Wanted to see if it was a viable option. If I'm not being too sneaky and not using dex based weapons for the most part, my dex doesn't have to be too high and I can put more into Strength.

Even with only a 14 wisdom, with expertise, I can be pretty good at many skills. Unfortunately I realize that I'm dealing with MAD if I want a good INT.

Last edited:

I was looking at a short sword and a hammer, as it's light and can be thrown...

I realize that rapier is the most optimized, but for flavor reasons, I see hand ax, short sword and light hammer.

Agree on breast plate. With dex would be 18. Not too shabby.

Wanted to see if it was a viable option. If I'm not being too sneaky and not using dex based weapons for the most part, my dex doesn't have to be too high and I can put more into Strength.

Even with only a 14 wisdom, with expertise, I can be pretty good at many skills. Unfortunately I realize that I'm dealing with MAD if I want a good INT.

Note that in AL, you need to use a finesse weapon in order to Sneak Attack. You don't have to use Dex to attack and damage, but the weapon has to be able to do that.
So Handaxes, hammers etc are really going to reduce your capability a lot.

If you're not being sneaky or you're using strength based weapons and heavier armour, you may want to consider a Fighter and take proficiencies in the relevant tools and skills.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads