NEWS; Gunning down the Snyderverse UPDATE Cavill gets the Kryptonite handshake!

That's thing

the 1978 movie was that.

Superman was considered outdated and hocky at the time.

Didn't change the fact the movie was awesome and pretty much the best superhero movie until recent times.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
He's... kind of one note these days. It is all the same sort of comedy. So, I'm not at all sure he's a good leader for a stable of characters who should be handled with different styles, many of which aren't all that intrinsically funny.

Because, if he does a Justice League that is basically the Suicide Squad or Guardians of the Galaxy, that's not going to be a good thing.
This is basically my concern, too.

Granted, Gunn won't be writing and directing all the new DC movies, but then that begs the question of how good he is at (co-)choosing directors, writers, etc for movies that aren't in his wheelhouse? If he's good at that, great! If not, that's worrying. But one assumes WB picked him because they want more GOTG-, TSS-, and Peacemaker-type stuff. Or maybe they don't see style and tone and just see "creative, funny, makes some successful movies". So, it's hard to know what to think.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is basically my concern, too.

Granted, Gunn won't be writing and directing all the new DC movies, but then that begs the question of how good he is at (co-)choosing directors, writers, etc for movies that aren't in his wheelhouse? If he's good at that, great! If not, that's worrying.

Exactly. If his own body of work indicated that he understood a variety of tones and genres, we might be more confident, but lacking that...

You realize it would help if you tried to explain what you were going for?
I like Brandon Routh but Henry Cavill (I feel) is able to exude a much higher threat/danger level than Brandon.
Similar to how one may view Daniel Craig/Timothy Dalton as compared to a Roger Moore for instance.

I would prefer a mature Superman with a rogues gallery already, sadly Gunn is going back to the character's 20-something.

Yeah, I want at least as good a treatment with supermans rogues gallery as they did in Superman:tas

Lex and Zod are a have been done to deat, so don't use them.

Braniac
Bizarro
Metallo
Parasite
The Ultrahumanite

Lobo (do a road trip movie with him, or better yet with a Lantern)
Luminus

The Elite

and of course The New Gods.

No idea how to use toyman, but bonus points if you can.

To heck with listing them all, so here's a link to the list.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I like Brandon Routh but Henry Cavill (I feel) is able to exude a much higher threat/danger level than Brandon.
Similar to how one may view Daniel Craig/Timothy Dalton as compared to a Roger Moore for instance.

Yeah, I don't know how central "exuding threat* is central to Superman, though. Batman, sure - his persona is all about intimidation. But Superman is a farmboy and Boy Scout - his defining characterisntic is making people feel safe, not making them feel threatened.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, I don't know how central "exuding threat* is central to Superman, though. Batman, sure - his persona is all about intimidation. But Superman is a farmboy and Boy Scout - his defining characterisntic is making people feel safe, not making them feel threatened.
Yeah, maybe it would be better described as "presence." He has a commanding presence that at once makes people pay attention, and feel safe. It's something that he hides in his schlumpy Clark Kent persona.

Remove ads