News on upcoming Wizards errata

JoeGKushner

First Post
Time for Mr. Negative here.

We've heard this song and dance before. Heck, I think MerricB was the one who posted similiar threads years ago.

In addition, starting out with the newer products is an interesting idea but sounds like they're in essence abandoning past products. Fire and forget so to speak.

Next, I didn't see any mention of providing updated PDF's with the corrected information in them for people who've purchased the books. If you're going to enter the digital age, try and do what almost all of the smaller companies are doing eh?

Tharen the Damned

First Post
First I want to point out, that I like most Wizards products and think that they have some of the most creative people as employees.

But after reading Merrics scoop (thanks for putting it together btw.) I got really angry.

Rant coming:
I can live with a few misspelled words, wrong grammatics or some ## instead of page references.
What annoys me without end and keeps me from buying most Wizards products is the stat block errors.
I do not care for their "we are not perfect". Heck, I work in a bank. if I would screw numbers like they do in my line of work, I would get fired before I could say "sorry"!
And it is not if this was a once in a while error but they screw most stat blocks in EVERY book!
The only way Wizards gets through with this is because they are market leader and most Gamers are a forgiving bunch and gaming is "only" a hobby. I Wizards was a Bank, they would be broke and be sued by their customers.
So please stop whining about us customers complaining about typos and other errors and fix them before you release your books!
Other people are very busy too and have to work under insane deadlines but do not have the luxury to release a "flawed" product.
Rant ending.

Now I feel better.

Jhaelen

First Post
Tharen the Damned said:
What annoys me without end and keeps me from buying most Wizards products is the stat block errors.
I do not care for their "we are not perfect". Heck, I work in a bank. if I would screw numbers like they do in my line of work, I would get fired before I could say "sorry"!
And it is not if this was a once in a while error but they screw most stat blocks in EVERY book!
Hmm. I think to be fair it has to be said that the big majority of stat block errors are so insignificant, they hardly matter except in extremely rare circumstances.

I'm talking about things like npcs having 2 skill points too many or 1 hp too much. I totally don't care about any of these; they don't affect my game negatively in any way.

I'll be totally happy if they manage to get rid of the more blatant errors.

Kaodi

Hero
See, I can see why they would not want to devote company time to fixing small errors in the number of skill points, and stuff like that. But, I disagree that those things are not worthy of errata. If someone else puts in the time to submit a full correction to these errors, including all of their bookwork, then the corrected stats should make it into the errata. After all, the blatant errors are blatant, easy to identify and correct. It is the subtle errors that go unnoticed that are more in danger of affecting the game.

Imaro

Legend
JoeGKushner said:
Time for Mr. Negative here.

We've heard this song and dance before. Heck, I think MerricB was the one who posted similiar threads years ago.

In addition, starting out with the newer products is an interesting idea but sounds like they're in essence abandoning past products. Fire and forget so to speak.

Next, I didn't see any mention of providing updated PDF's with the corrected information in them for people who've purchased the books. If you're going to enter the digital age, try and do what almost all of the smaller companies are doing eh?

Yeah I agree with you on this. It's almost like...

"Hey we want you guys to get really excited about our new books coming out and so we're putting eratta out for these on a regular bases."

"But what about the fifteen something books I've already bought( and spent $100's on in support of your company)...that I'm actually using in my campaign now."

"Well we will get to those...eventually...maybe...Hey buy our new books because..."

Really think they should start with the books we already have and use.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Imaro said:
Yeah I agree with you on this. It's almost like...

"Hey we want you guys to get really excited about our new books coming out and so we're putting eratta out for these on a regular bases."

"But what about the fifteen something books I've already bought( and spent $100's on in support of your company)...that I'm actually using in my campaign now."

"Well we will get to those...eventually...maybe...Hey buy our new books because..."

Really think they should start with the books we already have and use.

I couldn't agree more with this line of thinking. Fix the older books first, you know, the ones I already have and using.

sjmiller

Explorer
Steve Jackson Games has a good way of handling errata. First, they have a dedicated email address for errata. Second, they have a NetRep, someone who volunteers to handle this mail, sort it, and make sure that it is really errata and not just someone misreading the book. If it is indeed errata, they consult the line manager, who either confirms or denies the errata. If it is confirmed, it gets posted on the Steve Jackson Games website errata page. They even have an emailing list you can belong to when new errata is posted.

This is, by far, the best way of handling errata I have seen in the industry.

Remove ads