• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Next Campaigns

Jake Johnson

First Post
We're playing through the Starter Set, and will pick up Tyranny of Dragons when Horde of the Dragon Queen drops next month. If we need a one-off adventure, there's always The Wizards Amulet, Frog Gods, which is a free adventure that starts at 1st level. I'm backing Necromancer Games Kickstarter project, which includes the Quests of Doom adventure book. It's slated to include at least 12 adventures, maybe more depending on whether or not it meets the later stretch goals. I'm sure there will be more prepared materials announced as time goes by.

I agree that it would be nice to have epic and smaller adventures. It seems like there's a lot of energy behind the system. Color me optimistic.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
They're already working on the successor to Tyranny of Dragons, so big AP adventures will continue in this edition. I wouldn't be surprised if they follow Paizo's pattern and release two a year.

And, of course, there are smaller, single session adventures coming out as part of D&D Expeditions.

Individual small printed adventures? Hard to say. Even Paizo has largely abandoned them. It would see that Dungeon Magazine would be the best place for them, but they're remaining silent about what they have planned in that regard.

Cheers!

Tony Vargas

Legend
more down-to-earth adventures or more epic adventures? And, based on what we've seen so far, which type will you try for?
So far, I'm only committed to running 5e at Encounters (the good news is, it looks like there really will be players for it next season!). Encounters have generally been low level, and often suffered from running too-'epic' themes at too-low level (MiBG was ridiculous, that way, for instance), so I guess I'm hoping for some more down-to-earth stuff. Not holding my breath, though. If they /must/ go for low-level characters mucking about with earthshaking stuff, they can at least start them off at 3rd.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
So far, I'm only committed to running 5e at Encounters (the good news is, it looks like there really will be players for it next season!). Encounters have generally been low level, and often suffered from running too-'epic' themes at too-low level (MiBG was ridiculous, that way, for instance), so I guess I'm hoping for some more down-to-earth stuff. Not holding my breath, though. If they /must/ go for low-level characters mucking about with earthshaking stuff, they can at least start them off at 3rd.

Encounters will be doing the early chapters of the big adventure paths that Wizards are releasing. So, it's unlikely they'll suffer from being too big, too soon.

Cheers!

jgsugden

Legend
My intention with my group is to give it a shot before I commit to anything. I'll run a couple sessions of 5E with the group, see how they like it, and then discuss our next steps. Personally, I like what I see in 5E and consider it a move in the right direction from what we had in 4E. It should result in smoother and faster games where the story exceeds the strategy game, and the combats are more fluid and inventive rather than a series of repetitive encounter based powers punctuated with dailies for variation. I've run three sessions in 5E playtesting, and all three were very fun.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I'm planning to take advantage of dndclassics.com as much as I can. There is a lot of back catalog I've never gotten to run.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads