D&D 5E Next DMG Sneak Preview is Up! Figurine of Wondrous Power!

JesterOC

Explorer
I think that is how I would have written Rangers animal companions.

action to attack ... it keeps attacking and attacks anything that attacks it (defends itself)
If you want it to attack an new target then you use another action to command it.

I would have wanted them to give the Ranger to use animals as companions with a limit on how powerful of an animal to use. Best to treat the animals as hirelings. The way they have it now is odd.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The figurines are a promising idea with potential for cool, but they never really worked out that way. Usages too stingy. Stats so weak in the context of the power level of the PCs, by the time they can "afford" to own such a Rare item.

5e does not look like it has changed this much.

JesterOC

Explorer
With bounded accuracy the combat stats of the figs should make them effective for longer, though though without costs it is hard to see what level these are expected to fall within the players hands. In my case they were awarded due to PC's winning a contest by a "mad" wizard. They are a party of 3 4th level PC's and the lions are helpful.

Zaran

Adventurer
I have to agree. And Drizzt's figurine lasts a lot longer than an hour a week in fact I think it would work more like a Beastmaster pet. Again, I feel like they are nerfing everything too heavily. If a GM doesn't want something in their campaign they will not add it. Putting huge cooldown times doesn't do anything but make an item a trap.

Nebulous

Legend
With bounded accuracy the combat stats of the figs should make them effective for longer, though though without costs it is hard to see what level these are expected to fall within the players hands. In my case they were awarded due to PC's winning a contest by a "mad" wizard. They are a party of 3 4th level PC's and the lions are helpful.

Be nice to see an online supplement that has HD ranges for the figures, to cover low, middle and high level.

the Jester

Legend
Putting huge cooldown times doesn't do anything but make an item a trap.

How is it a trap? It's not a class option you choose in lieu of another option, or a daily power that means you miss out on taking another daily or something. It's a magic item- loot that the party might find. Loot is only a trap if it's cursed.

Although, if you play in a magic shop heavy game- which is fine, nothing wrong with that, but not the default in 5e- then it's possible that a FoWP might not be the best purchase. But it's up to the DM to set the price, at least as far as we know so far.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
With bounded accuracy the combat stats of the figs should make them effective for longer, though though without costs it is hard to see what level these are expected to fall within the players hands.

I thought that was one of the most significant and negative issues of the wealth by level business of 3e. Too many interesting items were priced so high that by the time PCs could afford to have it in their WBL value, the power of the item had already been eclipsed.

Zaran

Adventurer
How is it a trap? It's not a class option you choose in lieu of another option, or a daily power that means you miss out on taking another daily or something. It's a magic item- loot that the party might find. Loot is only a trap if it's cursed.

Although, if you play in a magic shop heavy game- which is fine, nothing wrong with that, but not the default in 5e- then it's possible that a FoWP might not be the best purchase. But it's up to the DM to set the price, at least as far as we know so far.

It's a trap in a way that the item will either hardly get used. Never be created. Not be wanted. Any effort to acquire one of the figurines would not be enough to account for the lack of usefulness. Who wants to use a goat for 3 days of travel and then have to walk for a week? Or to have a couple of lions that you can't even take out for parties because then you won't have them for a week. Even the 4th edition figures were better than this.

Both the magic items as well as how weak spellcasters are gives me the feeling that 5e is a Low magic campaign and I'd like to see how a GM can make it a High magic campaign.

Remove ads