D&D 5E Next DMG Sneak Preview is Up! Figurine of Wondrous Power!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I really like what I'm seeing here, items with long durations but are only one use every few days. The devs arent afraid to "balance" outside the usual standard of short and long rests. Very good indeed, I'm really impressed with the two previews so far.

I think I'm going to love the DMG, and very much look forward to spending a few nights flicking through the magic item lists, reminding me of old adventures....

Paraxis

Explorer
In 3e the boat was cooler.

Boat, Folding: A folding boat looks like a small wooden box—about 12 inches long, 6 inches wide, and 6 inches deep. It can be used to store items like any other box. If a command word is given, however, the box unfolds itself to form a boat 10 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 2 feet in depth. A second command word causes it to unfold to a ship 24 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet deep. Any objects formerly stored in the box now rest inside the boat or ship.
In its smaller form, the boat has one pair of oars, an anchor, a mast, and a lateen sail. In its larger form, the boat has a deck, single rowing seats, five sets of oars, a steering oar, an anchor, a deck cabin, and a mast with a square sail. The boat can hold four people comfortably, while the ship carries fifteen with ease.
A third word of command causes the boat or ship to fold itself into a box once again.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
I really like what I'm seeing here, items with long durations but are only one use every few days. The devs arent afraid to "balance" outside the usual standard of short and long rests. Very good indeed, I'm really impressed with the two previews so far.

I think I'm going to love the DMG, and very much look forward to spending a few nights flicking through the magic item lists, reminding me of old adventures....
I'm happy you're happy, but to me this only becomes more work : when you use different pacing mechanisms within a single system and only one of those is << dial-able >>, it can become quite a hassle to figure out how to work with the other...

For example, if you're playing an exploration themed campaign and your short and long rests have been significantly increased (say a day and a week, respectively), things that work in days can become a good deal more powerful than they were probably intended to be. On the flip side, if you're playing a more "kick the door and kill!" style and the rests have been reduced to a few minutes and a couple of hours, then an item you can only use once every 7 days might as well be a single use item.

It's not a question of this being wrong or not but it does increase my workload as a DM. It might not be a lot, but every little bit "helps"...

dwayne

Adventurer
I'm happy you're happy, but to me this only becomes more work : when you use different pacing mechanisms within a single system and only one of those is << dial-able >>, it can become quite a hassle to figure out how to work with the other...

For example, if you're playing an exploration themed campaign and your short and long rests have been significantly increased (say a day and a week, respectively), things that work in days can become a good deal more powerful than they were probably intended to be. On the flip side, if you're playing a more "kick the door and kill!" style and the rests have been reduced to a few minutes and a couple of hours, then an item you can only use once every 7 days might as well be a single use item.

It's not a question of this being wrong or not but it does increase my workload as a DM. It might not be a lot, but every little bit "helps"...

A short rest is an hour and a long is 8 hours of sleep at least not sure what rule book you were looking at, from players book page 186 "A short rest is a period o f downtime, at least 1 hour long" "A long rest is a period o f extended downtime, at least 8 hours long" so if you have altered the rules in your game from those in the book no one is to blame but your self, just increase the times they give in proportion to the ones you did for your house rules.

The Deck of Many things is on Page 162-4 while the figurines are on pages 169-170. So between there's a fair amount of "E" and "F" items.

But I'm mostly curious to see the table of contents. We're likely to see the rings and the artifacts are potentially reachable but I doubt we'll reach the "firearms" and "ToC" thresholds.

Remove ads