Next generation of table top?

madmosher

First Post
Next generation of table top?
So I’ve been floating around asking questions and working on stuff, trying to figure out how to best get something new into table top. This is what I have so far:

Table top rules…

A 1d10 system that focuses on fast play, heavy customization and personalization. Skills and special abilities dictate character instead of class, and an experience system that only rewards what players use.

The other thing of note is that players can level things up in game, without skipping a beat. Customizing skills and abilities is part of the game, and finally a way to keep GM’s from forcing unnecessary rolls on the players.

Setting…

The first setting takes place in the 2020’s, focusing on a corporate takeover of world powers and nations. As the “big three” corporations gain power, they leverage their monopoly to build a city of the future, “Neoteric Uruk”. In the city, one of the corporations in particular is conducting research and experimenting in the metaphysical. This leads to strange occurrences within the population, which is already at odds with the corps.

The setting blends modern technology with a touch of mysticism, all the while forcing players to choose between two very clear “sides”, or ride the middle as double or triple agents. The city has been developed in 3D, with the hopes of getting an old school Waterdeep (2nd edition) feel. I loved the idea of a city so big your character could be born and die there, with plenty of adventure opportunities. This thing is to scale and roughly the size of Manhattan.

So that might be a little too short an explanation, but it gets the point across I hope. So I was thinking what I could do to get people involved in this. I love the rules and setting, but they are my babies. Then I got to thinking what I could do to be different as an RPG as a whole?

Delivery…

So my idea is this: people still want books, but the internet offers a wide variety of content delivery options. So you need the .PDF and book for people that want it, but what about the extra layer of the internet? My idea is to put the rules and setting online also, but in a way that makes sense and easy to approach (I’ve seen other try this, but fall short on the last part). So I designed the game with internet in mind first, since it is harder to develop for, and books second.
This gives you a place online to view the rules and content, with the option of buying the books for support. All the info is easy to understand, with sections clearly outlined and navigation is obvious. Plus the added layer of being able to present more info in smaller places!

Network…

The big “kicker” which ties all of this together? The game has its own Facebook style social network! You can set up an account that gives you access to:

Friends: manage friends, send messages and update your activity stream!

Groups: create groups that can be public or private, containing a front page describing your group. You can customize your group with its own forum, wiki and activity stream!

Chat: the site has its own chat room so you can talk to people real time!

Points: everything you do earns you points from making friends to status updates. You can donate points to help friends raise their rank, or use them in site lotteries!
There are a few more things to get into, but I think you get the point :). The big deal I think is when you tie it all together. Since the developers (me), and users (maybe you) are all interacting in the same space, we could do things that would otherwise be impossible. Here are some ideas I had:

Community discussions about the rules and site, being able to gather opinions on what everyone likes as we move forward.

A “choose your own adventure” style vote at the end of every scenario update, allowing the community to steer the course of the world!

Using points to canonize characters in the official setting! This could also be opened up to added your own corps, equipment and sites on the map!

I have a good deal of this worked out, but I want to see what everyone thinks of the idea before I start throwing URL’s around. That and this project is very close to me, so I would rather answer a few questions first, at the very least to let you know I’m a real guy, and not just spamming this thing all over the place. I’m excited as hell about this, and hopefully you are too! Thanks for reading this and I look forward to answering your questions!

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
There seems to be some good ideas here, and as a fellow game designer, I hope that you find success.

Welcome to EN World, there are a lot of opinion leaders here and a lot that can be learned simply by talking to some of the more experienced posters. Currently, a lot of people are discussing D&DN/5e and so the General Discussion forum has slowed down as of late.

I'd be interested in seeing what you're working on.

madmosher

First Post
There seems to be some good ideas here, and as a fellow game designer, I hope that you find success.

Welcome to EN World, there are a lot of opinion leaders here and a lot that can be learned simply by talking to some of the more experienced posters. Currently, a lot of people are discussing D&DN/5e and so the General Discussion forum has slowed down as of late.

I'd be interested in seeing what you're working on.
Thanks! I checked out your site, the races look interesting, I will keep an eye out for it! This seems like an interesting forum, I will follow you advice.

You can check out the site here:
www.actten.com
There are a couple of tutorial videos on the site to get you started with the features. It's still beta, but I would love to hear what you think about it! Take care!

Remove ads