D&D (2024) Next playtest speculation

Yaarel

He Mage
I expect the designers have completed the playtests for the Players Handbook, and will move on to the Monster Manual and DMs Guide.

There is more work to do with the Players Handbook, but designers have sufficient feedback already. For example, with the few spells that the playtests have updated, the designers know that updating a subpar spell to make it more par and useful is popular. So hopefully they can go thru the rest of the spells to update all of the subpar spells. In the aggregate, optimizers know which spells are the subpar ones. The designers now have a decent sense of balance within the 5e engine. I have been impressed with how they calibrated Xanathars and Tashas.

There might still be a future minor PH playtest, as an interruption or as part of the DMs Guide playtest, to spotcheck something for feedback.

Clint_L

Hero
Another pass at moon druid is about the only big class thing I could see happening. Maybe some balance tweaks to other classes. I don't know if we'll get much to test for the MM; they've already been publishing 2024-style monsters in books like Monsters of the Multiverse and Bigby's so there aren't going to be big new mechanics to work out. The updated DMG looks to be more like an actual guide rather than a bunch of new rules, so again probably not that much that needs testing. I think we are pretty close to done.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'd be happy if we get ANY more Playtests. I don't expect that we will when it comes to the PHB (they've got to leave some things to surprise (and hopefully delight) us when the book drops. I hope to see more and better feats and more revised spells in that book, but it's pretty much a done-deal I expect.

I'd LOVE to see some Monsters and more stuff from the DMG. Monsters of the Multiverse, I suspect, will be similar to what they have planned for Monsters, but I expect that they'll continue the steps forward that they took with that book and step forward once more. Will they need UA feedback to do that? I don't know, but I'd like for them to try!

I don't know what they'd do to UA the DMG, beyond another go at the Bastion System, or a third take (after the 2014 DMG and Xanathar's Guide) on Downtime Activities

But I'm not sure we're going to see anything more at all. Hopefully!

Feats, feats and more feats.
Please not. More base functionalities/options.
Some things should not be feats or have ever have been feats. Feats should aways do something big. Not change little numbers or add things that should be base functionalities of skills or ability scores.

Horwath

Legend
Please not. More base functionalities/options.
Some things should not be feats or have ever have been feats. Feats should aways do something big. Not change little numbers or add things that should be base functionalities of skills or ability scores.
agree, but more things should be feats and not fixed class features. and more feat slots for characters.

agree, but more things should be feats and not fixed class features. and more feat slots for characters.
I am not sure about that. But I could see adding a few feat slots at fixed character levels (1, 6, 10, 14 come to mind). Would help multiclassed characters and would help supporting your subclass abilities.

Horwath

Legend
I am not sure about that. But I could see adding a few feat slots at fixed character levels (1, 6, 10, 14 come to mind). Would help milticlassed characters and would help supporting your subclass abilities.
maybe subclass abilities are good candidates to become feats and PCs getting feat slots at those levels; some prerequirements may apply.

Remove ads