• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Nexus] Initiative redone

Khorod

First Post
Are you asking for comments about the post on Initiative? That's the sort of thing you might as well double-post here for comments. Or perhaps House Rules.

In any case, Weapon Speeds are a bad idea in d20, as per Sean K Reynolds'* explanation some years back.

Knowledge[tactics] really isn't a skill about the ins and outs of sword-swings. That 'skill' is properly represented by your BAB.

However, I might consider granting synergy from Know[tactics], Concentration, and Sleight of Hand.

Other thoughts on that line including adding an intiative bonuses to those with many attacks, or (in a lower-magic game) the Conan rule of adding your Reflex to Initiative (making them the same in absence of specific initiative modifiers).

* http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/weaponspeeds.html

Aussiegamer

First Post
Khorod said:
Are you asking for comments about the post on Initiative? That's the sort of thing you might as well double-post here for comments. Or perhaps House Rules.

Well it would be about the rules I suppose, why would you reply about the comment asking for replies?

These are NOT house rules, my system is completely different from all others.

In any case, Weapon Speeds are a bad idea in d20, as per Sean K Reynolds'* explanation some years back.

Well I see that the "speed"of the weapon will modify the ability of the combatant to deleiver it. a big slow 2 handed spear is slower than a fast dagger. But one deleivers a big hit and the other a minor hit, so they balance out.

Knowledge[tactics] really isn't a skill about the ins and outs of sword-swings. That 'skill' is properly represented by your BAB.

This is the ability of each side to understand a tactical situition and use it to their best interests. So they have the better formation or ambush site etc. It is only applied at the start of combat

However, I might consider granting synergy from Know[tactics], Concentration, and Sleight of Hand.

Why?

Other thoughts on that line including adding an intiative bonuses to those with many attacks, or (in a lower-magic game) the Conan rule of adding your Reflex to Initiative (making them the same in absence of specific initiative modifiers).

* http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/weaponspeeds.html
[/QUOTE]

I like the comabt for mulitattacks as is, allows a player to move and do something, so I will leave that as is. But thanks

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
"Weapon speed" is both a bad rule and faulty logic. Please don't use it.

The spear wielder in your example will hit before the knife fighter because of his longer reach. Unless you want to measure reach in 1 ft. rather than 5 ft. increments, don't use weapon speed, because it actually represents reality worse than the absence thereof.

Even if you account for reach so precisely, a sword (or a spear swung Chinese-style, as a dual-function bludgeoning staff/thrusting point) can actually move faster than a dagger if its wielder knows how to use its momentum. Then you get into momentum-using and momentum-countering styles...

It's really not worth it for an effect that's negligible in a melee.

Aussiegamer

First Post
I agree but the spear has reach and it can strike out to greater than close range.

The weapons are mostly grouped and thus not much variance will be in the whole thing any way.

Remember this is modern and a pistol is far easier and quicker to bring to bear than a machinegun.

V1.01 now there

I changed the ideas quite a bit and dropped a lot of the weapon speed mods, as they where the same thing.

Sorry but I like the idea, you can drop it out of the equation if you want for your game.

Last edited:

Remove ads