• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nice things players have done for DM's/GM's

Actually I guess one of the nicest things a couple of my players did for me was something they didn't even realise they were doing.

I had 2 players (who were also brothers) leave my Shackled City AP campaign to play in a band on a cruise ship overseas. After the first brother left their dad joined their group in his place (and is still in the group).

When the dad would give us updates on how the guys were going on the cruise ship he would always mention about how they were asking about the game. They didn't just want a general sense either. They wanted details of exactly what had happened. So much so that the dad started taking detailed session notes just to make sure he could remember what happened to tell them!

Looking back now, them wanting to know all the details about the campaign did make me feel quite chuffed. I was obviously running an engaging enough game that, even though they weren't there, they still wanted to be kept up to date about exactly what was going on.

As luck would have it, the finale of the campaign happened over the Christmas/New Year period, when both of them were back in Australia. So I ended up with a group of 7 (including all 5 original players) to finish off the 3 1/2 year campaign. It was great to have everyone there for the end of a very memorable campaign (and the first that I have ever run to a planned completion).

Olaf the Stout

Papa-DRB

First Post
My guys did two things for me, in different years. Now you have to realize, we are all over 40, and we have been playing at my house since the late 1980's.

1) They gave me and the wife a gift certificate to, at that time, our favorite restaurant for a buy 1 get 1 free dinner for six months. They said, you buy yours and your wife gets the free one!

2) My choice of drink is a good single malt Scotch, so one year they bought me a 21 year old bottle of Glenlivet with glasses and flask.

-- david
Papa.DRB

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
When the dad would give us updates on how the guys were going on the cruise ship he would always mention about how they were asking about the game. They didn't just want a general sense either. They wanted details of exactly what had happened. So much so that the dad started taking detailed session notes just to make sure he could remember what happened to tell them!

Looking back now, them wanting to know all the details about the campaign did make me feel quite chuffed. I was obviously running an engaging enough game that, even though they weren't there, they still wanted to be kept up to date about exactly what was going on.
That is a great feeling. One of my players went to Iraq for a bit over a year to serve at one point (the same player I was the best man at the wedding for), and I sent him long updates after each session. We played multiple times per week, and I went into a good amount of detail.

He said that it was usually the highlight of his day whenever it happened, and it always made him happy and gave him something to look forward to. And, he's said that it helped him get through his deployment that much easier, which meant a lot to me.

Players wanting to know about Game stuff between sessions feel pretty good, too. Players who don't even play anymore asking about it is an even better feeling, in a way. As always, play what you like :)

I've known most of my players for at least 20 years, since we were at university together, and we're kind of like family; so we've all done so much for each other over the years.

Two things particularly stick out though...

One of my players got me a job at the software company he worked at. I'm still there after 15 years (and so is he, although he's now my boss!)

Another of my players married me 11 years ago, and we have two children together.

It doesn't get much nicer than that!

MortalPlague

Adventurer
On two occasions, my players have gone out of their way to really surprise me. Once, they picked up a mug for me with "World's Greatest DM" engraved on it. I need to break that out for next game, I think.

When 3.0 came out, we decided to switch over. We hadn't been playing for very long as a group (probably a year), but one of my players bought the core books for 3.0. On his way home from the mall, he got mugged, and someone stole the books. So he went back and bought 3 more, and presented them at game the next day.

Elf Witch

First Post
My players have often pitched in to buy me gaming books because my budget has been so tight.

They also buy me food and bring me my Coke Zero.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
One of the players in my game made deerskin dice bags for everyone.
He personalized each bag with some kind of symbol that represented thier character / role at the time. we all still use them.

Another player bought me a great metal Ogre mini. He also primed it and blackwashed it. It took me weeks to remember that there were no ogres in the world I was running. They had specifically been wiped out. Although not involved he was well aware of this, and had occasionally asked for a knife of ogre slaying, or suggested 1/2 ogre PCs. Some jokes are on a slow burn :)

Remove ads