• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nightcrawler as a Tiefling

dfarnsworth

First Post
A younger new D&D player had Tieflings explained to him as being like Nightcrawler from the Marvel Universe. Now the kid is really excited and wants to play a 'crawler type character. I am thinking a limited blink ability with a high Dex boost. Anyone see any problems with making this modified tiefling for PC use? LA suggestions?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
You don't have to modify Tiefling.
This "Nightcrawler" character has a class, not just a race.

Swordsages can teleport frequently, for example, starting at 3rd level.

Cheers, -- N

Pinotage

Explorer
One other option would be to take the Blink Dog and convert it into a humanoid creature, using the LA and details provided for playing one of those.

Pinotage

Satori

First Post
I would HIGHLY recommend against letting a younger, new player use a Swordsage.

Have him play a Rogue or Swashbuckler (from Complete Warrior), leave the stats the way they are, and houserule a standard action 30 foot teleport.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Acrobatics, hide in plain sight, teleportation, and improved unarmed strike.

Sounds like a Tiefling Monk/Shadowsage. Shadowsage manuevers would be:

Stance: Child of Shadows (concealment while moving)
Manuevers: Cloak of Deception (short term improved invisibility), Shadow Jaunt (teleport up to 50'), Sudden Leap (swift action extra move with jump check), and maybe some more acrobatics or strikes.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Satori said:
I would HIGHLY recommend against letting a younger, new player use a Swordsage.

Have him play a Rogue or Swashbuckler (from Complete Warrior), leave the stats the way they are, and houserule a standard action 30 foot teleport.

Why? Manuevers are sort of like magic cards. You simply tap them once you use them in an encounter, and you can't untap them until the battle is over. Not that complicated.

I think it seems complicated to older players who are not used to such per-encounter abilities. but to a new player, it should be easier to pick up than a lot of other things in the game.

dfarnsworth

First Post
I'll look into the Swordsage. I am not as familiar with the BO9S as I should be considering it's import on 4E.

Jim, the kid, is hellbent on a tiefling though, so either way a tiefling he will be. (I think he likes the idea of looking evil ;) )

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mistwell said:
Sounds like a Tiefling Monk/Shadowsage.
Why Monk? Swordsage does all that other stuff better. Take Improved Unarmed Strike and later Superior Unarmed Strike; use Light armor; enjoy your skill points and maneuvers and lack of multi-classing XP penalty. :)

Cheers, -- N

Aestolia

First Post
Give him access to the Mark of Passage Dragonmark (house Orien) yeah it's supposed to be humans only (house orien only actually) but just mod it off as character concept.

RigaMortus2

First Post
There was a post on the old WotC board where people used D&D rules to design various super heroes and video game characters, Nightcrawler being one of them. Can't find the post now, but maybe google it?

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-563793

Check out the Telflammar Shadowlord: (Forgotten Realms: Unapproachable East). They get an ability where they can make a full attack after they teleport/dimension door.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads